Creating behaviors

Anything that doesn't fit our other forums goes here.
6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1

Creating behaviors

Post by siempre.aprendiendo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Post by siempre.aprendiendo
Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:04 pm

I have posted the first article in a series where I try to explain my vision about robot behavior creation by anyone that could use a computer. I would like to hear your opinion and comments!

By the way, I have allowed comments again (spam is terrible) but to read and comment you should register, it's absolutely free!, as in beer and as in speech :)

http://softwaresouls.com/softwaresouls/ ... haviors-i/
I have posted the first article in a series where I try to explain my vision about robot behavior creation by anyone that could use a computer. I would like to hear your opinion and comments!

By the way, I have allowed comments again (spam is terrible) but to read and comment you should register, it's absolutely free!, as in beer and as in speech :)

http://softwaresouls.com/softwaresouls/ ... haviors-i/
siempre.aprendiendo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Re: Creating behaviors

Post by PaulL » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:59 am

Post by PaulL
Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:59 am

... I didn't sign up and read it... I may at some point, haven't forgotten this thread. :) My focus in robotics is on software, though I'm doing hardware at the moment. The software is really the whole point for me. Have you read up on behavior-based robotics? Some interesting stuff out there, but I don't think they've carried it far enough. My work is, in part, in this area. ;)
... I didn't sign up and read it... I may at some point, haven't forgotten this thread. :) My focus in robotics is on software, though I'm doing hardware at the moment. The software is really the whole point for me. Have you read up on behavior-based robotics? Some interesting stuff out there, but I don't think they've carried it far enough. My work is, in part, in this area. ;)
PaulL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by siempre.aprendiendo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:19 pm

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:19 pm

It's a very short post, you don't need registration to read it.

Yes, I have read about behavoir-based robotics, partially some books, a few fully, and a lot of papers and articles, but it's difficult to find practical/hands on texts, usually they are very theoretical, neither code nor algorithms.
It's a very short post, you don't need registration to read it.

Yes, I have read about behavoir-based robotics, partially some books, a few fully, and a lot of papers and articles, but it's difficult to find practical/hands on texts, usually they are very theoretical, neither code nor algorithms.
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PaulL » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:22 am

Post by PaulL
Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:22 am

Ah, last time I checked, I couldn't see the page without logging in... I see it now.

You have an interesting take, much like my way of thinking. I started with a similar approach, but my theories have evolved something that looks quite different from what you have there. I'm well on my way down this path!! I've been at it for a few years now, but depending on your perspective, one might say a lifetime. :)

The configuration-driven approach is one I've used for a while now in my career, and it only makes sense. Anything else is wasteful! Too many software developers monopolize configuration and call it coding. Perhaps it takes some selflessness to embrace configuration-driven methodology, as it takes some control away from the developer.

I've managed to write some software that puts my theories-turned-beliefs into code, but I need a PC-based bot to run it on. I'm making progress on what I think will be a suitable platform, and I'm planning to demo the bot and the software in mid to late 2014. I have more work to do on the UI's, but the meat of it is coded.

Motivation is a big part of my work. I've almost forgotten the meat I've found in configuration-based software development (and it's a pretty big deal), that's how much I've become absorbed with motivation.

Some believe that there is an intrinsic chaos within life as a form, and I believe that this chaos lies in motivation - and I've built essentially that - a drag 'n drop configuration system for modeling (potentially) chaotic motivation. To be clear, by "chaotic", I mean chaos as "sensitive to initial conditions, unpredictable in the long term".

I got in a discussion (though brief) with a guy on the 'net that was smart, sure, but he was stuck on the belief that all we are and do can be summarized as "instincts". I gave it a bit of effort, but I realized, once someone truly believes something, a simple discussion likely won't sway the mind.

Paul
Ah, last time I checked, I couldn't see the page without logging in... I see it now.

You have an interesting take, much like my way of thinking. I started with a similar approach, but my theories have evolved something that looks quite different from what you have there. I'm well on my way down this path!! I've been at it for a few years now, but depending on your perspective, one might say a lifetime. :)

The configuration-driven approach is one I've used for a while now in my career, and it only makes sense. Anything else is wasteful! Too many software developers monopolize configuration and call it coding. Perhaps it takes some selflessness to embrace configuration-driven methodology, as it takes some control away from the developer.

I've managed to write some software that puts my theories-turned-beliefs into code, but I need a PC-based bot to run it on. I'm making progress on what I think will be a suitable platform, and I'm planning to demo the bot and the software in mid to late 2014. I have more work to do on the UI's, but the meat of it is coded.

Motivation is a big part of my work. I've almost forgotten the meat I've found in configuration-based software development (and it's a pretty big deal), that's how much I've become absorbed with motivation.

Some believe that there is an intrinsic chaos within life as a form, and I believe that this chaos lies in motivation - and I've built essentially that - a drag 'n drop configuration system for modeling (potentially) chaotic motivation. To be clear, by "chaotic", I mean chaos as "sensitive to initial conditions, unpredictable in the long term".

I got in a discussion (though brief) with a guy on the 'net that was smart, sure, but he was stuck on the belief that all we are and do can be summarized as "instincts". I gave it a bit of effort, but I realized, once someone truly believes something, a simple discussion likely won't sway the mind.

Paul
PaulL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by siempre.aprendiendo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:40 am

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:40 am

The chaotic motivation sounds very interesting :)

Yes, the goal is that the "user" should get the maximum possible freedom, ideally, as much as the developer could have.

Which development tools (language, IDE/compiler or generator) and robot "platform" do you use?
The chaotic motivation sounds very interesting :)

Yes, the goal is that the "user" should get the maximum possible freedom, ideally, as much as the developer could have.

Which development tools (language, IDE/compiler or generator) and robot "platform" do you use?
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PaulL » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:19 pm

Post by PaulL
Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:19 pm

I hope it'll be interesting, I've been working on it for a while now!! :)

I'm using Visual Studio, for two reasons - one, I know it well, and two, I'm betting that businesses running Windows are going to want some advanced configurable software - but probably not the AI / A-Life aspect. In the short term, I'll market the software to the Robotics field, not sure if I'll do both parts there or not. The hardware platform is a Robonova-1, modified a bit to make it unique (a gimmick, if you will), running a Kontron PicoITX, Atom Z530, 2gb RAM, microSD hard drive - basically a step or so past a Roboard.

I'm writing in VB. I can write C#, but it's all IML in the end. With .Net Reflector, it's either and both.

I'd like to port the code to C++ (and it certainly could be), but I'd like to do that at a point where I can pay someone else to write the code. If it was ported to C++, it'd be the kind of stuff operating systems are built from... Could build an "OS" inside of .Net, for that matter. :)
I hope it'll be interesting, I've been working on it for a while now!! :)

I'm using Visual Studio, for two reasons - one, I know it well, and two, I'm betting that businesses running Windows are going to want some advanced configurable software - but probably not the AI / A-Life aspect. In the short term, I'll market the software to the Robotics field, not sure if I'll do both parts there or not. The hardware platform is a Robonova-1, modified a bit to make it unique (a gimmick, if you will), running a Kontron PicoITX, Atom Z530, 2gb RAM, microSD hard drive - basically a step or so past a Roboard.

I'm writing in VB. I can write C#, but it's all IML in the end. With .Net Reflector, it's either and both.

I'd like to port the code to C++ (and it certainly could be), but I'd like to do that at a point where I can pay someone else to write the code. If it was ported to C++, it'd be the kind of stuff operating systems are built from... Could build an "OS" inside of .Net, for that matter. :)
PaulL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1