Greetings

Anything that doesn't fit our other forums goes here.
4 postsPage 1 of 1
4 postsPage 1 of 1

Greetings

Post by BotThoughts » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:14 am

Post by BotThoughts
Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:14 am

Hi there, I'm Michael. I do the bot thoughts blog. Got the link from one of the local robot guys. Looking forward to joining in a good, active robot forum.

Been interested in robots since '89 (college ... i'm old) and really dove in about 5 years ago... built a robot firefighter... mostly a fail but good learning experience... after that a bunch of electronics projects, repairs, beam robot, other things...

Then Data Bus, 20mph autonomous rover, 3rd place in 2012 AVC, lot of failing but finally success.

Threw together a Raspberry Pi tele-rover... not hard but fun as heck.

Way more ideas and projects than time... :D

Michael
Hi there, I'm Michael. I do the bot thoughts blog. Got the link from one of the local robot guys. Looking forward to joining in a good, active robot forum.

Been interested in robots since '89 (college ... i'm old) and really dove in about 5 years ago... built a robot firefighter... mostly a fail but good learning experience... after that a bunch of electronics projects, repairs, beam robot, other things...

Then Data Bus, 20mph autonomous rover, 3rd place in 2012 AVC, lot of failing but finally success.

Threw together a Raspberry Pi tele-rover... not hard but fun as heck.

Way more ideas and projects than time... :D

Michael
BotThoughts offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by PaulL » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:36 am

Post by PaulL
Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:36 am

Welcome!

One of the things I find difficult in dealing with this multi-disciplined hobby is figuring out where I need to focus. I split things out into three main areas - software, hardware, electronics - this seems to work best for my mind. I'll obsess over a certain aspect until I reach a good stopping point, then I'll switch to another discipline. This keeps the whole project moving, albeit very slowly.

There's never enough time! :) Day job, family, home repairs, life, all of these things take time away from the hobby. It was different during my college days: just college, a part time job, and an apartment. I had more time then, but I didn't have the knowledge and understanding I have today. I think of it this way: I wouldn't be where I am today had I not traveled the path I have taken. So, fast-forward to now, and I know what I need to know, I just need the time to do what I know can be done. ;)

Sometimes the forums here can be a bit slow, but that's all up to those whom could post and choose not to. ;)
Welcome!

One of the things I find difficult in dealing with this multi-disciplined hobby is figuring out where I need to focus. I split things out into three main areas - software, hardware, electronics - this seems to work best for my mind. I'll obsess over a certain aspect until I reach a good stopping point, then I'll switch to another discipline. This keeps the whole project moving, albeit very slowly.

There's never enough time! :) Day job, family, home repairs, life, all of these things take time away from the hobby. It was different during my college days: just college, a part time job, and an apartment. I had more time then, but I didn't have the knowledge and understanding I have today. I think of it this way: I wouldn't be where I am today had I not traveled the path I have taken. So, fast-forward to now, and I know what I need to know, I just need the time to do what I know can be done. ;)

Sometimes the forums here can be a bit slow, but that's all up to those whom could post and choose not to. ;)
PaulL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by BotThoughts » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:18 pm

Post by BotThoughts
Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:18 pm

That's how I seem to divvy it up, too. Although usually on a per-project basis. I try to focus on a single project at a time though sometimes I find myself shifting between three projects in the course of a few days. :)

I feel the same way about time. Yeah if only I knew all this back then I could've gotten so much more done.

It's been a fun path in the hobby. Sort of an organic evolution. As I learn new skills and techniques I apply those to the next projects. It's fun to think about what I'm able to do now and look back on how I got here.

It'd be fun to go back in time 20 years and tell my younger, more ignorant self that I'm sitting here designing tiny boards and hand populating surface mount components and building fast, autonomous rovers and stuff. Crazy crazy.

Back then my idea of robotics was slapping together a 286 motherboard (somehow, I didn't know how), a tape deck, some motors (how to control them? I had no idea) and making a butler robot.
That's how I seem to divvy it up, too. Although usually on a per-project basis. I try to focus on a single project at a time though sometimes I find myself shifting between three projects in the course of a few days. :)

I feel the same way about time. Yeah if only I knew all this back then I could've gotten so much more done.

It's been a fun path in the hobby. Sort of an organic evolution. As I learn new skills and techniques I apply those to the next projects. It's fun to think about what I'm able to do now and look back on how I got here.

It'd be fun to go back in time 20 years and tell my younger, more ignorant self that I'm sitting here designing tiny boards and hand populating surface mount components and building fast, autonomous rovers and stuff. Crazy crazy.

Back then my idea of robotics was slapping together a 286 motherboard (somehow, I didn't know how), a tape deck, some motors (how to control them? I had no idea) and making a butler robot.
BotThoughts offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Re: Greetings

Post by wensen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:46 am

Post by wensen
Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:46 am

hello, i am tim,nice to meet you, i am very glad to join. :D
hello, i am tim,nice to meet you, i am very glad to join. :D
[url]http://www.rctophobby.com/"]
www.rctophobby.com[/url]
wensen offline