Side Project: OBD-II Reader / Reset...

Anything that doesn't fit our other forums goes here.
2 postsPage 1 of 1
2 postsPage 1 of 1

Side Project: OBD-II Reader / Reset...

Post by PaulL » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:55 am

Post by PaulL
Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:55 am

Ok, so I have this car, V8, lots of fun to drive. I had a problem with the exhaust, and had a 3 inch downpipe put in some months ago. The change to the exhaust now causes a P0420 error, O2 sensor - I've read this can happen. The code sets every once in a while, particularly if idling at a stoplight. SO!

I bought an OBD-II interface board from Sparkfun, and plan to use that with a Sparkfun Arduino Pro Micro board to:

* Check for DTC's.
* If a DTC is set, see if it is ONLY the P0420.
* If the error is only P0420, reset the DTC.
* Otherwise, do nothing - the DTC is for something else!

I have a stereo head unit I installed a few months ago that has a backup camera input. I am going to do some testing and see what the image looks like from my RB-100 to a VGA to NTSC adapter to the display. If the display quality is good enough, I'll use my RB-100 for something other than a 'bot - it'll run the display and show additional info about the car available via the OBD-II interface.
Ok, so I have this car, V8, lots of fun to drive. I had a problem with the exhaust, and had a 3 inch downpipe put in some months ago. The change to the exhaust now causes a P0420 error, O2 sensor - I've read this can happen. The code sets every once in a while, particularly if idling at a stoplight. SO!

I bought an OBD-II interface board from Sparkfun, and plan to use that with a Sparkfun Arduino Pro Micro board to:

* Check for DTC's.
* If a DTC is set, see if it is ONLY the P0420.
* If the error is only P0420, reset the DTC.
* Otherwise, do nothing - the DTC is for something else!

I have a stereo head unit I installed a few months ago that has a backup camera input. I am going to do some testing and see what the image looks like from my RB-100 to a VGA to NTSC adapter to the display. If the display quality is good enough, I'll use my RB-100 for something other than a 'bot - it'll run the display and show additional info about the car available via the OBD-II interface.
PaulL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by BotThoughts » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Post by BotThoughts
Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Cool project! I hope you'll post to this thread as you progress. I'm curious to hear how it goes. I didn't even know SFE had an OBDII board of any kind.

On my old Jeep Grand Wagoneer, I've retrofitted an EFI kit but... it's just a GM TBI system from the late 80's, so don't have to worry ... also I'm tuning it so the 3" exhaust doesn't matter.

What's DTC?

I'm hoping to get some time to do some data logging and eventually status display. Probably go Arduino for now as it's quick to get running and cheaper than other solutions. I need the memory to do FAT fs. I built my own MicroSD breakout for breadboarding so will try that out in a more permanent setting.

Anyway keep us posted and good luck.

Michael
Cool project! I hope you'll post to this thread as you progress. I'm curious to hear how it goes. I didn't even know SFE had an OBDII board of any kind.

On my old Jeep Grand Wagoneer, I've retrofitted an EFI kit but... it's just a GM TBI system from the late 80's, so don't have to worry ... also I'm tuning it so the 3" exhaust doesn't matter.

What's DTC?

I'm hoping to get some time to do some data logging and eventually status display. Probably go Arduino for now as it's quick to get running and cheaper than other solutions. I need the memory to do FAT fs. I built my own MicroSD breakout for breadboarding so will try that out in a more permanent setting.

Anyway keep us posted and good luck.

Michael
BotThoughts offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

2 postsPage 1 of 1
2 postsPage 1 of 1