Home Position

Takahashi's design (robo-garage.com), Kondo servos and controller, and kit production by RC company Kyosho brought to life PF01.
7 postsPage 1 of 1
7 postsPage 1 of 1

Home Position

Post by Frankenteddy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:07 am

Post by Frankenteddy
Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:07 am

Hiya there!

I recently got my MANOI, put it all together, and now I'm having troubles with the Home position.

How do you 'set' the home position?

Why is it so important?

Also, how on earth do you program it? I don't really understand the examples....I thought tricky robotics like this used a language O.O, not a GUI!!! I'd appreciate it a bunch if you could help me out! :D It's my mascot for my science fair, so I'm planning to make it do a dance and wave a flag.

Thankies a bunch in advance guys!
Hiya there!

I recently got my MANOI, put it all together, and now I'm having troubles with the Home position.

How do you 'set' the home position?

Why is it so important?

Also, how on earth do you program it? I don't really understand the examples....I thought tricky robotics like this used a language O.O, not a GUI!!! I'd appreciate it a bunch if you could help me out! :D It's my mascot for my science fair, so I'm planning to make it do a dance and wave a flag.

Thankies a bunch in advance guys!
Frankenteddy offline

Post by Orac » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:26 pm

Post by Orac
Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi, the home position is critical to performing the set moves, slight variations in the pose will cause the robot to fall while executing these.

I have been using H2H software verion 3J which has an English manual so it makes it easier to work through the examples and see what everything does.

If you break apart the set moves, you can see how they are formed. It takes a while of reading the manual and playing with the software before you can understand exactly what everything does.

For exploring robot movement and balance, H2H is very good, its easy to free off the servo's and capture the next position in any move you design and then keep repeating to string it all together. For autonomous behaviour and complex sensor systems, it seems to be very resticted by the communications system of the RCB3 board

I got mine just over a week ago and am about halfway through programming in a cartwheel, so you should be dancing and flag waving in no time :)
Hi, the home position is critical to performing the set moves, slight variations in the pose will cause the robot to fall while executing these.

I have been using H2H software verion 3J which has an English manual so it makes it easier to work through the examples and see what everything does.

If you break apart the set moves, you can see how they are formed. It takes a while of reading the manual and playing with the software before you can understand exactly what everything does.

For exploring robot movement and balance, H2H is very good, its easy to free off the servo's and capture the next position in any move you design and then keep repeating to string it all together. For autonomous behaviour and complex sensor systems, it seems to be very resticted by the communications system of the RCB3 board

I got mine just over a week ago and am about halfway through programming in a cartwheel, so you should be dancing and flag waving in no time :)
Orac offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Frankenteddy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:33 pm

Post by Frankenteddy
Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:33 pm

Thanks for the reply... but that's not exactly what I meant.

I know that it is really critical, seeing as the robot falls over if you don't set it (rofl)

What I mean is, you know that little button of a house? When I click it, it doesn't go to MY home position. Is there a way that you can set it (and save it?)?

Or should I just keep it at the beginning of the program?

:D Thankies a bunch for your help! hehe
Thanks for the reply... but that's not exactly what I meant.

I know that it is really critical, seeing as the robot falls over if you don't set it (rofl)

What I mean is, you know that little button of a house? When I click it, it doesn't go to MY home position. Is there a way that you can set it (and save it?)?

Frankenteddy offline

Post by tempusmaster » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:58 pm

Post by tempusmaster
Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:58 pm

Frankenteddy wrote:Thanks for the reply... but that's not exactly what I meant.

As Orac pointed out, the best approach is to follow the basic procedures outlined in the English H2H 3J manual.

You will need to keep in mind that the MANOI AT01 layout is slightly different, but the basic procedures still apply. If you follow it, step by step, then the robot will go to the home position when you click on the home icon.

Two other things that sometimes cause problems -

1) H2H needs to run from the hard disk. If it is run directly from the CD it won't be able to save the initialization file.

2) If the servos weren't zeroed prior to assembling them into the robot following the process in the manual, then it may be very difficult to setup the home position and trimming. There is also the risk of burning out a servo if it was assembled without zeroing. It's best to check this carefully prior to setting up the home position and trimming.
Frankenteddy wrote:Thanks for the reply... but that's not exactly what I meant.

As Orac pointed out, the best approach is to follow the basic procedures outlined in the English H2H 3J manual.

You will need to keep in mind that the MANOI AT01 layout is slightly different, but the basic procedures still apply. If you follow it, step by step, then the robot will go to the home position when you click on the home icon.

Two other things that sometimes cause problems -

1) H2H needs to run from the hard disk. If it is run directly from the CD it won't be able to save the initialization file.

2) If the servos weren't zeroed prior to assembling them into the robot following the process in the manual, then it may be very difficult to setup the home position and trimming. There is also the risk of burning out a servo if it was assembled without zeroing. It's best to check this carefully prior to setting up the home position and trimming.
Latest robot news, information, reviews, hacks, photos, and videos - with special on-site coverage from Japan
http://www.robots-dreams.com
tempusmaster offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frankenteddy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:16 pm

Post by Frankenteddy
Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:16 pm

Super! I will try that -- thank you!
Super! I will try that -- thank you!
Frankenteddy offline

Post by Frankenteddy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:04 pm

Post by Frankenteddy
Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:04 pm

I'm now only having problems with zeroing the leg motors.
I can't see the illustrations in the book too well...

Anyone have any clear pictures? :)
I'm now only having problems with zeroing the leg motors.

Frankenteddy offline

Post by tempusmaster » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:36 am

Post by tempusmaster
Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:36 am

Frankenteddy wrote:I'm now only having problems with zeroing the leg motors.

The website should have all the docs in PDF format where you can zoom in as close as you like.
Frankenteddy wrote:I'm now only having problems with zeroing the leg motors.

The website should have all the docs in PDF format where you can zoom in as close as you like.
Latest robot news, information, reviews, hacks, photos, and videos - with special on-site coverage from Japan
http://www.robots-dreams.com
tempusmaster offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

7 postsPage 1 of 1
7 postsPage 1 of 1