Manoi move library

Takahashi's design (robo-garage.com), Kondo servos and controller, and kit production by RC company Kyosho brought to life PF01.
5 postsPage 1 of 1
5 postsPage 1 of 1

Manoi move library

Post by Orac » Tue May 15, 2007 5:10 pm

Post by Orac
Tue May 15, 2007 5:10 pm

As I understand it, having a universal home position is promoted by Kyosho to allow users to swap moves, etc.

Do we know if there is anywhere that the Japanese are using to swap moves, etc. I only really have about 4 or 5 non-dancing moves to test my home position on (with varying results)

Some came on the Manoi CD and I downloaded a few more of Dr Guy's from Slashsplats downloads?

Thanks
As I understand it, having a universal home position is promoted by Kyosho to allow users to swap moves, etc.

Do we know if there is anywhere that the Japanese are using to swap moves, etc. I only really have about 4 or 5 non-dancing moves to test my home position on (with varying results)

Some came on the Manoi CD and I downloaded a few more of Dr Guy's from Slashsplats downloads?

Thanks
Orac offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Re: Manoi move library

Post by tempusmaster » Wed May 16, 2007 3:59 pm

Post by tempusmaster
Wed May 16, 2007 3:59 pm

Orac wrote:As I understand it, having a universal home position is promoted by Kyosho to allow users to swap moves, etc.

The home position is very important (critical) for almost all humanoids and needs to be set correctly for the robot to perform well whether or not you want to swap moves with other users.

Correct home position setup insures that the robot is balanced, and can move vertically without tilting. It also optimizes the robots balance, and should be adjusted before any gyro compensation is attempted.

It's also important to check and readjust the home position from time to time since the servo characteristics and gears will shift over time. Most of the builders here in Japan check the home position before every competition, some of them before each match.

There are more than enough to keep you busy for a while on the Kyosho AT01 Motion Download page.

Thanks

Those are a good place to start. The motions have been checked by Kyosho before they were posted, and I've used almost all of them. If they don't seem to work well, then the first place to check is the home position setup. Also, you should keep in mind that they were created for the completed robot - meaning with all the bracketry and battery installed. Several people have run into odd, unbalanced movements only to realize that they were running off a power supply without the battery in place which changes the weight and COG.

Good luck.
Orac wrote:As I understand it, having a universal home position is promoted by Kyosho to allow users to swap moves, etc.

The home position is very important (critical) for almost all humanoids and needs to be set correctly for the robot to perform well whether or not you want to swap moves with other users.

Correct home position setup insures that the robot is balanced, and can move vertically without tilting. It also optimizes the robots balance, and should be adjusted before any gyro compensation is attempted.

It's also important to check and readjust the home position from time to time since the servo characteristics and gears will shift over time. Most of the builders here in Japan check the home position before every competition, some of them before each match.

There are more than enough to keep you busy for a while on the Kyosho AT01 Motion Download page.

Thanks

Those are a good place to start. The motions have been checked by Kyosho before they were posted, and I've used almost all of them. If they don't seem to work well, then the first place to check is the home position setup. Also, you should keep in mind that they were created for the completed robot - meaning with all the bracketry and battery installed. Several people have run into odd, unbalanced movements only to realize that they were running off a power supply without the battery in place which changes the weight and COG.

Good luck.
Latest robot news, information, reviews, hacks, photos, and videos - with special on-site coverage from Japan
http://www.robots-dreams.com
tempusmaster offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by slashsplat » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:24 am

Post by slashsplat
Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:24 am

Some notes from tempusmaster on getting the home position aligned:

Create a new motion, and place a POS in the workspace. Double click to open the servo settings box. Pull down the Links menu in the lower right corner. Create a new link and name it "squat". One by one, select the servos that need to be moved to make the robot squat down evenly - hip, knee, ankle - and set them to MOV(10) [that's probably right for two sets, but the other set may need to be 5 to keep the body straight]. Close the links window.

In the servo settings box, pull down the links menu to "squat". At that point you should be able to click on the "+" and "-" arrows and have the robot move up and down vertically.

It's great for making quick position adjustments. Of course you can create a whole library of Link functions using the same basic technique with other servo groupings and settings.

The "squat" link is a useful way to tell if your home position is setup correctly. The robot should go up and down vertically without tilting away from the vertical. It's sort of a linearity check, at least that's the way I've been thinking about it.

Squat -
CH12: MOV(10)
CH13: MOV(20)
CH14: MOV(10)

CH18: MOV(10)
CH19: MOV(20)
CH20: MOV(10)

(from tempusmaster)
Some notes from tempusmaster on getting the home position aligned:

Create a new motion, and place a POS in the workspace. Double click to open the servo settings box. Pull down the Links menu in the lower right corner. Create a new link and name it "squat". One by one, select the servos that need to be moved to make the robot squat down evenly - hip, knee, ankle - and set them to MOV(10) [that's probably right for two sets, but the other set may need to be 5 to keep the body straight]. Close the links window.

In the servo settings box, pull down the links menu to "squat". At that point you should be able to click on the "+" and "-" arrows and have the robot move up and down vertically.

It's great for making quick position adjustments. Of course you can create a whole library of Link functions using the same basic technique with other servo groupings and settings.

The "squat" link is a useful way to tell if your home position is setup correctly. The robot should go up and down vertically without tilting away from the vertical. It's sort of a linearity check, at least that's the way I've been thinking about it.

Squat -
CH12: MOV(10)
CH13: MOV(20)
CH14: MOV(10)

CH18: MOV(10)
CH19: MOV(20)
CH20: MOV(10)

(from tempusmaster)
<i>Ira Chandler</i> /* slashsplat */
<b>http://BotConnect.com</b>
home of the American MANOI Users Group
slashsplat offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Orac » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:08 pm

Post by Orac
Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:08 pm

I tried this several weeks ago, the squat worked fine, everything in alignment and no wobbles.

Still I could not get the home position right. Some moves would work fine, others would not, adjust again, different ones work fine original don't. I must have spent around 70 hours on the home position alone.

Eventully, I came to the decision to abandon the set moves, get the home as best I could and start working on new moves.

Much more fun now, at least I can get it to walk and do the things it should.

I think I may have a lazy servo or some that slop too much.

There seems to be too much play in the servos meaning that the robot never seems to get to the proper position it should be in.

As an example, if you walk and then return to the home position the robot doesn't quite get there meaning you are not in the correct stance for the next move. If you were to lift the robot in between the moves and then put it back down on the desk, its fine.
I tried this several weeks ago, the squat worked fine, everything in alignment and no wobbles.

Still I could not get the home position right. Some moves would work fine, others would not, adjust again, different ones work fine original don't. I must have spent around 70 hours on the home position alone.

Eventully, I came to the decision to abandon the set moves, get the home as best I could and start working on new moves.

Much more fun now, at least I can get it to walk and do the things it should.

I think I may have a lazy servo or some that slop too much.

There seems to be too much play in the servos meaning that the robot never seems to get to the proper position it should be in.

As an example, if you walk and then return to the home position the robot doesn't quite get there meaning you are not in the correct stance for the next move. If you were to lift the robot in between the moves and then put it back down on the desk, its fine.
Orac offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Robo1 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:51 am

Post by Robo1
Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:51 am

Hi there

That the same as my KHR-2. With regard to the standard moves, I have to make small adjustments to all the moves to make them work well for my biped. Not much 2- 5 % for some off the servo's . But then my bot isn't completely standard lipo's and stuff.

Bren
Hi there

That the same as my KHR-2. With regard to the standard moves, I have to make small adjustments to all the moves to make them work well for my biped. Not much 2- 5 % for some off the servo's . But then my bot isn't completely standard lipo's and stuff.

Bren
Robo1 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

5 postsPage 1 of 1
5 postsPage 1 of 1