Just ordered Manoi PF01

Takahashi's design (robo-garage.com), Kondo servos and controller, and kit production by RC company Kyosho brought to life PF01.
62 postsPage 4 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post by wintermute » Sat May 24, 2008 5:03 am

Post by wintermute
Sat May 24, 2008 5:03 am

Terrific photos, Peabo. Very interesting, and much appreciated. I'm going to go look at them again now.
Terrific photos, Peabo. Very interesting, and much appreciated. I'm going to go look at them again now.
wintermute offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by JavaRN » Sat May 24, 2008 8:34 am

Post by JavaRN
Sat May 24, 2008 8:34 am

Can I dare ask the price for this robot? What programming interface (language and motion editor) does it have?
Can I dare ask the price for this robot? What programming interface (language and motion editor) does it have?
F'dan il-passatemp ghandek bzonn zewg affarijiet - FLUS u HIN. Zewg affarijiet li huma skarsi hafna u li jien minnhom ghandi vera ftit!
JavaRN offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Peabo » Sat May 24, 2008 11:24 pm

Post by Peabo
Sat May 24, 2008 11:24 pm

JavaRN wrote:Can I dare ask the price for this robot? What programming interface (language and motion editor) does it have?
It seems to be $1899 whereever you look. Also, they only sell them for research purposes & to educational institutions, but I'm sure if you ask nicely, they will send you one anyway. It uses the same PCB as the Kondo KHRs so you'll be working with the Heart To Heart software. Very easy to use!
JavaRN wrote:Can I dare ask the price for this robot? What programming interface (language and motion editor) does it have?
It seems to be $1899 whereever you look. Also, they only sell them for research purposes & to educational institutions, but I'm sure if you ask nicely, they will send you one anyway. It uses the same PCB as the Kondo KHRs so you'll be working with the Heart To Heart software. Very easy to use!
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by wintermute » Sun May 25, 2008 4:56 am

Post by wintermute
Sun May 25, 2008 4:56 am

Peabo, I just read your assemby tutorial, and it's great. Good job.

As for the $1899 price, that wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. However, I sure wish the PF01 had hip-rotation. If it did, I'd order one today. Seems like 19 DOF ought to be the minimum these days, especially on such an expensive robot. Slide-turns just don't cut it, in my opinion. But I keep being drawn back to the PF01 for some reason. It''s such an appealing little critter. Thanks to Takahashi-san, it's exceptionally well-designed. Wonder if there's any way to hack hip-rotation on one?
Peabo, I just read your assemby tutorial, and it's great. Good job.

As for the $1899 price, that wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. However, I sure wish the PF01 had hip-rotation. If it did, I'd order one today. Seems like 19 DOF ought to be the minimum these days, especially on such an expensive robot. Slide-turns just don't cut it, in my opinion. But I keep being drawn back to the PF01 for some reason. It''s such an appealing little critter. Thanks to Takahashi-san, it's exceptionally well-designed. Wonder if there's any way to hack hip-rotation on one?
wintermute offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Peabo » Sun May 25, 2008 5:05 am

Post by Peabo
Sun May 25, 2008 5:05 am

wintermute wrote:Peabo, I just read your assemby tutorial, and it's great. Good job.

Hacking it would be really hard, it's not designed to be modified much. You'd have to recast your own special torso unit, I'd imagine.

Even though he has no hip-rotation, he moves really nicely and can do pretty much everything the AT can whilst looking a whole lot cooler in the process. I always thought the AT01 stood & walked like he was desperate to go to the toilet. I'll be sure to take some movies soon, he isn't slow like people would have you believe. Probably the only thing that's noticably slower is getting up from a lying position (since he's heavier), though there may be newer motion files that achieve this more efficiently.
wintermute wrote:Peabo, I just read your assemby tutorial, and it's great. Good job.

Hacking it would be really hard, it's not designed to be modified much. You'd have to recast your own special torso unit, I'd imagine.

Even though he has no hip-rotation, he moves really nicely and can do pretty much everything the AT can whilst looking a whole lot cooler in the process. I always thought the AT01 stood & walked like he was desperate to go to the toilet. I'll be sure to take some movies soon, he isn't slow like people would have you believe. Probably the only thing that's noticably slower is getting up from a lying position (since he's heavier), though there may be newer motion files that achieve this more efficiently.
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Peabo » Sun May 25, 2008 5:10 am

Post by Peabo
Sun May 25, 2008 5:10 am

As you can see, there is no room for extra servos. The shelf just above the legs is where the batteries go:

As you can see, there is no room for extra servos. The shelf just above the legs is where the batteries go:

Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by tempusmaster » Mon May 26, 2008 1:30 pm

Post by tempusmaster
Mon May 26, 2008 1:30 pm

All things considered, the moves are about as good as it gets.

phpBB [media]

Of course, the side-turns still leave a lot to be desired. I seriously doubt there is any way to hack hip rotation, or individual leg rotation (which I think may be what you meant), into the PF01.

phpBB [media]

Of course, the side-turns still leave a lot to be desired. I seriously doubt there is any way to hack hip rotation, or individual leg rotation (which I think may be what you meant), into the PF01.
Latest robot news, information, reviews, hacks, photos, and videos - with special on-site coverage from Japan
http://www.robots-dreams.com
tempusmaster offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Peabo » Mon May 26, 2008 10:03 pm

Post by Peabo
Mon May 26, 2008 10:03 pm

tempusmaster wrote:

phpBB [media]

Dear god...I want that motion data now!! hehe :)

That's another thing, I haven't found anywhere that has manoi PF01 motion data available for download. Anyone know any good sources?
tempusmaster wrote:

phpBB [media]

Dear god...I want that motion data now!! hehe :)

That's another thing, I haven't found anywhere that has manoi PF01 motion data available for download. Anyone know any good sources?
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by wintermute » Mon May 26, 2008 10:54 pm

Post by wintermute
Mon May 26, 2008 10:54 pm

tempusmaster wrote:Of course, the side-turns still leave a lot to be desired. I seriously doubt there is any way to hack hip rotation, or individual leg rotation (which I think may be what you meant), into the PF01.

We need to settle on a standardized term to describe the concept. I vote for:

"legs-that-rotate-or-pivot-independently-at-the-hip-enabling-human-like-turns"

or LTROPIATHEHLT for short. Seems to me all humanoid robots should be LTROPIATHEHLT-capable.

But all seriousness aside, it would be a thorny engineering problem in the PF01, that's for sure.
tempusmaster wrote:Of course, the side-turns still leave a lot to be desired. I seriously doubt there is any way to hack hip rotation, or individual leg rotation (which I think may be what you meant), into the PF01.

or LTROPIATHEHLT for short. Seems to me all humanoid robots should be LTROPIATHEHLT-capable.

But all seriousness aside, it would be a thorny engineering problem in the PF01, that's for sure.
wintermute offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Peabo » Mon May 26, 2008 11:01 pm

Post by Peabo
Mon May 26, 2008 11:01 pm

wintermute wrote:

I suppose it could be done, but it will be a nightmare. You could drill through the battery shelf to attach servos from below (you'd need a screwdriver that could do a 90 degree turn!), but the shelf comes in 2 halves. Half is on the back of the torso case, and the other half is on the front of the torso-case. Assuming the servos would be central, then half the screws to attach it would be on one side of the shelf, and the others on the other side. So once it's screwed in, you couldn't diassemble the torso again without removing the legs. You may also need to saw off the original plastic wall that the legs attached to in order to give the legs freedom to pivot.

You're probably better off waiting for the PF02 ;)
wintermute wrote:

I suppose it could be done, but it will be a nightmare. You could drill through the battery shelf to attach servos from below (you'd need a screwdriver that could do a 90 degree turn!), but the shelf comes in 2 halves. Half is on the back of the torso case, and the other half is on the front of the torso-case. Assuming the servos would be central, then half the screws to attach it would be on one side of the shelf, and the others on the other side. So once it's screwed in, you couldn't diassemble the torso again without removing the legs. You may also need to saw off the original plastic wall that the legs attached to in order to give the legs freedom to pivot.

You're probably better off waiting for the PF02 ;)
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by wintermute » Mon May 26, 2008 11:29 pm

Post by wintermute
Mon May 26, 2008 11:29 pm

Peabo wrote:You're probably better off waiting for the PF02 ;)

If Kyosho introduced a a PF02 I'd be first in line to buy it. Actually, I've been delaying since December, hoping for that very thing. In the meantime, I've been steadily adding to the Christmas bonus I received this year. Currently, I have almost enough saved to buy a PFO1. But surely a new generation is on the horizon?

I came so close to buying a 1HV back in January. In fact, I had limor's online form all filled out, ready to submit. But something made me stop short of clicking the submit button. I reflected on how I almost bought an iPhone when they were first introduced, and how waiting to buy one paid off. So I've been treading water, waiting for the next-gen robots to stride onto the scene (and not doing slide-turns).

I guess I should change my avatar in the meantime.
Peabo wrote:You're probably better off waiting for the PF02 ;)

If Kyosho introduced a a PF02 I'd be first in line to buy it. Actually, I've been delaying since December, hoping for that very thing. In the meantime, I've been steadily adding to the Christmas bonus I received this year. Currently, I have almost enough saved to buy a PFO1. But surely a new generation is on the horizon?

I came so close to buying a 1HV back in January. In fact, I had limor's online form all filled out, ready to submit. But something made me stop short of clicking the submit button. I reflected on how I almost bought an iPhone when they were first introduced, and how waiting to buy one paid off. So I've been treading water, waiting for the next-gen robots to stride onto the scene (and not doing slide-turns).

I guess I should change my avatar in the meantime.
wintermute offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Peabo » Mon May 26, 2008 11:33 pm

Post by Peabo
Mon May 26, 2008 11:33 pm

There has been no word on a PF02 at all. For all we know, they may not even make one. Robonova 1 has been out for a long while as well, and there still is no Robonova 2.

I was personally waiting for Qrio, but that's a totally lost cause now :( Such a shame since Aibo already had excellent personality software. And now close to 3 years after its death, I'm sure it would be even more amazing. I'd love to see something like that in a bipedal robot.
There has been no word on a PF02 at all. For all we know, they may not even make one. Robonova 1 has been out for a long while as well, and there still is no Robonova 2.

I was personally waiting for Qrio, but that's a totally lost cause now :( Such a shame since Aibo already had excellent personality software. And now close to 3 years after its death, I'm sure it would be even more amazing. I'd love to see something like that in a bipedal robot.
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by wintermute » Tue May 27, 2008 12:06 am

Post by wintermute
Tue May 27, 2008 12:06 am

Peabo wrote:I was personally waiting for Qrio, but that's a totally lost cause now :( Such a shame since Aibo already had excellent personality software. And now close to 3 years after its death, I'm sure it would be even more amazing. I'd love to see something like that in a bipedal robot.

I have an Aibo ERS-110, and I wanted a Qrio also. It's a shame Sony killed the project. But Takahashi-san's designs -- Chroino, Neon, and FT -- seem almost as capable, lack of AI notwithstanding. Too bad Kyosho won't put those into production as next-gen offerings. I'd pony up three grand or so for one, no problem.

But getting back to the PF01, aside from the 17 DOF limitation, I feel it's more polished and well-conceived than any other kit being offered today. And hands down, it has more personality, in my opinion. It's like a feisty little toddler.
Peabo wrote:I was personally waiting for Qrio, but that's a totally lost cause now :( Such a shame since Aibo already had excellent personality software. And now close to 3 years after its death, I'm sure it would be even more amazing. I'd love to see something like that in a bipedal robot.

I have an Aibo ERS-110, and I wanted a Qrio also. It's a shame Sony killed the project. But Takahashi-san's designs -- Chroino, Neon, and FT -- seem almost as capable, lack of AI notwithstanding. Too bad Kyosho won't put those into production as next-gen offerings. I'd pony up three grand or so for one, no problem.

But getting back to the PF01, aside from the 17 DOF limitation, I feel it's more polished and well-conceived than any other kit being offered today. And hands down, it has more personality, in my opinion. It's like a feisty little toddler.
Last edited by wintermute on Tue May 27, 2008 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
wintermute offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Peabo » Tue May 27, 2008 6:13 am

Post by Peabo
Tue May 27, 2008 6:13 am

Here is a video of him doing a few of the motions I downloaded. If anyone knows where to get some really good ones, please let me know! :)

phpBB [media]
Here is a video of him doing a few of the motions I downloaded. If anyone knows where to get some really good ones, please let me know! :)

phpBB [media]
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Peabo » Tue May 27, 2008 6:43 am

Post by Peabo
Tue May 27, 2008 6:43 am

wintermute wrote:I have an Aibo ERS-110, and I wanted a Qrio also. It's a shame Sony killed the project. But Takahasi-san's designs -- Chroino, Neon, and FT -- seem almost as capable, lack of AI notwithstanding. Too bad Kyosho won't put those into production as next-gen offerings. I'd pony up three grand or so for one, no problem.

I'll be getting an ERS-7 in the near future. You can never have too many robots ;)

Also, Manoi PF01 is the commerical version of Chroino. So maybe if they make a PF02, it will be even closer to the original design. Chroino has chest rotation and a head which can look up & down.
wintermute wrote:I have an Aibo ERS-110, and I wanted a Qrio also. It's a shame Sony killed the project. But Takahasi-san's designs -- Chroino, Neon, and FT -- seem almost as capable, lack of AI notwithstanding. Too bad Kyosho won't put those into production as next-gen offerings. I'd pony up three grand or so for one, no problem.

I'll be getting an ERS-7 in the near future. You can never have too many robots ;)

Also, Manoi PF01 is the commerical version of Chroino. So maybe if they make a PF02, it will be even closer to the original design. Chroino has chest rotation and a head which can look up & down.
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

PreviousNext
PreviousNext