Just ordered Manoi PF01

Takahashi's design (robo-garage.com), Kondo servos and controller, and kit production by RC company Kyosho brought to life PF01.
62 postsPage 1 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5
62 postsPage 1 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5

Just ordered Manoi PF01

Post by Peabo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:02 pm

Post by Peabo
Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:02 pm

Greetings! This is my first post here.
I have just ordered a Manoi PF01 which will be arriving from Japan in a few days. I have also ordered two KRG-3 gyros and a KRC-3AD controller to go with it.

I was wondering if there are any sites that offer comprehensive assembly and/or operation instructions? Or if anyone here who has already built a PF01 would be willing to help me out at all? This will be my first time owning and building this type of robot. I already have an I-Sobot, but of course, he was pre-assembled.

Also, do I need to purchase additional cables to attach the two gyro sensors? If so, where can I get these from?

Thank you in advance! :)
Greetings! This is my first post here.
I have just ordered a Manoi PF01 which will be arriving from Japan in a few days. I have also ordered two KRG-3 gyros and a KRC-3AD controller to go with it.

I was wondering if there are any sites that offer comprehensive assembly and/or operation instructions? Or if anyone here who has already built a PF01 would be willing to help me out at all? This will be my first time owning and building this type of robot. I already have an I-Sobot, but of course, he was pre-assembled.

Also, do I need to purchase additional cables to attach the two gyro sensors? If so, where can I get these from?

Thank you in advance! :)
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by wintermute » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:07 pm

Post by wintermute
Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:07 pm

I was under the impression that Kyosho wasn't selling the PF01 outside Japan, due to an export restriction. What vendor did you purchase it through? Are you associated with an educational institution?
I was under the impression that Kyosho wasn't selling the PF01 outside Japan, due to an export restriction. What vendor did you purchase it through? Are you associated with an educational institution?
wintermute offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Peabo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:18 am

Post by Peabo
Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:18 am

That's what I thought initially too, but I believe Trossen Robotics is the only vendor which claims that. Places like http://www.rt-net.jp don't say anything about restrictions, and there's also eBay ;)

Does anyone know any good additional sensors or parts that can be used with the PF01? I'm assuming he can have an accelerometer alongside the 2 gyros. What about giving him eye LEDs? Or maybe even a way to talk? Little i-sobot can talk and he is tiny!
That's what I thought initially too, but I believe Trossen Robotics is the only vendor which claims that. Places like http://www.rt-net.jp don't say anything about restrictions, and there's also eBay ;)

Does anyone know any good additional sensors or parts that can be used with the PF01? I'm assuming he can have an accelerometer alongside the 2 gyros. What about giving him eye LEDs? Or maybe even a way to talk? Little i-sobot can talk and he is tiny!
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by wintermute » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:07 am

Post by wintermute
Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:07 am

I'm curious to see if you actually receive your PF01. Did you receive confirmation of your purchase? Did they require proof that you were associated with an educational institution?
I'm curious to see if you actually receive your PF01. Did you receive confirmation of your purchase? Did they require proof that you were associated with an educational institution?
wintermute offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Peabo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:16 am

Post by Peabo
Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:16 am

I didn't order from them in the end, as they only accept money order or cheque, but I see nothing about export restrictions on their site or order froms. I ordered from Kumotek. They don't have Manoi PF01 listed on the site, but I e-mailed asking and was told that they have him in stock and immediately sent me a quote for the robot & a controller. I was able to pay via PayPal and they said he's being shipped directly from Japan.

http://www.kumotek.com
I didn't order from them in the end, as they only accept money order or cheque, but I see nothing about export restrictions on their site or order froms. I ordered from Kumotek. They don't have Manoi PF01 listed on the site, but I e-mailed asking and was told that they have him in stock and immediately sent me a quote for the robot & a controller. I was able to pay via PayPal and they said he's being shipped directly from Japan.

http://www.kumotek.com
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Peabo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:18 am

Post by Peabo
Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:18 am

Are you interested in buying a PF01 too?
Are you interested in buying a PF01 too?
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by wintermute » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:40 am

Post by wintermute
Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:40 am

Peabo wrote:Are you interested in buying a PF01 too?

I am, actually.

I am, actually.
Last edited by wintermute on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
wintermute offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Peabo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:43 am

Post by Peabo
Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:43 am

wintermute wrote:

I am, actually.
Well I'll let you know when Kumotek get back to me to actually confirm it has shipped. I'm assuming they will give tracking details too.

Have you much experience building bipedal robots such as these?
wintermute wrote:

I am, actually.
Well I'll let you know when Kumotek get back to me to actually confirm it has shipped. I'm assuming they will give tracking details too.

Have you much experience building bipedal robots such as these?
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by wintermute » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:00 am

Post by wintermute
Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:00 am

By the way, KumoTek's site displays this disclaimer about the PF01:

"This robot is an educational robot and is available for educational related institutions only."

Did they require proof that you were associated with an educational institution?
By the way, KumoTek's site displays this disclaimer about the PF01:

"This robot is an educational robot and is available for educational related institutions only."

Did they require proof that you were associated with an educational institution?
wintermute offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Peabo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:02 am

Post by Peabo
Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:02 am

wintermute wrote:By the way, KumoTek's site displays this disclaimer about the PF01:

I never saw the PF01 on Kumotek's site, just the AT01. But no, they didn't ask me anything, they just sent me a quote right away when I asked if they stocked the PF01.
wintermute wrote:By the way, KumoTek's site displays this disclaimer about the PF01:

I never saw the PF01 on Kumotek's site, just the AT01. But no, they didn't ask me anything, they just sent me a quote right away when I asked if they stocked the PF01.
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by wintermute » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:11 am

Post by wintermute
Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:11 am

I'll be darned. Well, like I said, I'll be interested to see if you get it. Here's the link to the PF01 on KumoTek's site:

http://www.roboporium.com/MANOI_PF01.html

I assume you were quoted $1,890.00 for the little beastie, which is a chunk of cash by anyone's standards.

Also, I'm wondering if the recently announced hip-pivot kit will fit the PF01 as well as the AT01. It would be great if it did, because the stock PF01's non-pivoting sliding turn leaves much to be desired.
I'll be darned. Well, like I said, I'll be interested to see if you get it. Here's the link to the PF01 on KumoTek's site:

I assume you were quoted $1,890.00 for the little beastie, which is a chunk of cash by anyone's standards.

Also, I'm wondering if the recently announced hip-pivot kit will fit the PF01 as well as the AT01. It would be great if it did, because the stock PF01's non-pivoting sliding turn leaves much to be desired.
wintermute offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Peabo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:15 am

Post by Peabo
Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:15 am

wintermute wrote:I'll be darned. Well, like I said, I'll be interested to see if you get it. Here's the link to the PF01 on KumoTek's site:

Yep, that was the price, but that's how much it costs in Japan anyhow. I know it's a lot, but it's such a beautiful kit.

You're right about the hips. I noticed that the prototype PF01 has rotating hips (so does Chroino) but the production model is missing them. Where abouts can you find this kit?
wintermute wrote:I'll be darned. Well, like I said, I'll be interested to see if you get it. Here's the link to the PF01 on KumoTek's site:

Yep, that was the price, but that's how much it costs in Japan anyhow. I know it's a lot, but it's such a beautiful kit.

You're right about the hips. I noticed that the prototype PF01 has rotating hips (so does Chroino) but the production model is missing them. Where abouts can you find this kit?
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by wintermute » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:24 am

Post by wintermute
Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:24 am

The RSS-01 hip-pivot kit can be ordered here: http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/399
The RSS-01 hip-pivot kit can be ordered here: http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/399
wintermute offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Peabo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:26 am

Post by Peabo
Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:26 am

wintermute wrote:The RSS-01 can be ordered here: http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/399
Ah, well there is no way you could get that on the PF01 without some heavy modification. As you can see here, the legs screw directly onto the plastic chassis:

wintermute wrote:The RSS-01 can be ordered here: http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/399
Ah, well there is no way you could get that on the PF01 without some heavy modification. As you can see here, the legs screw directly onto the plastic chassis:

Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by wintermute » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:31 am

Post by wintermute
Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:31 am

Be sure to keep us posted.
Be sure to keep us posted.
wintermute offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Next