Paper Cylon

Takahashi's design (robo-garage.com), Kondo servos and controller, and kit production by RC company Kyosho brought to life PF01.
6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1

Paper Cylon

Post by RobotGrrl » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:31 pm

Post by RobotGrrl
Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:31 pm

Hey there!

Some of you might find this interesting ^^ I made a Paper Cylon with my MANOI AT01. :)

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xPD9hHu61w

Blog Post (with tons of pics):
http://robotgrrl.com/blog/2008/04/25/fr ... ght-manoi/

What do you think of it?
Hey there!

Some of you might find this interesting ^^ I made a Paper Cylon with my MANOI AT01. :)

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xPD9hHu61w

Blog Post (with tons of pics):
http://robotgrrl.com/blog/2008/04/25/fr ... ght-manoi/

What do you think of it?
RobotGrrl offline

Post by Peabo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:06 am

Post by Peabo
Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:06 am

Hehe! That's a cute idea, and some very amusing dance moves ;)
Great music too!

Can I ask if you use the Heart 2 Heart software using bootcamp on your Mac, or if you run it under emulation (or if you use a PC!). I have a Manoi PF01 on the way and need to figure out the best method for programming him. I assume there is no native software for the Mac that does it. I'm hoping that Parallels will do the job!
Hehe! That's a cute idea, and some very amusing dance moves ;)
Great music too!

Can I ask if you use the Heart 2 Heart software using bootcamp on your Mac, or if you run it under emulation (or if you use a PC!). I have a Manoi PF01 on the way and need to figure out the best method for programming him. I assume there is no native software for the Mac that does it. I'm hoping that Parallels will do the job!
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by RobotGrrl » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:10 am

Post by RobotGrrl
Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:10 am

Thanks!

Yeah, I use the Heart 2 Heart software on a Windows XP machine. I'm not sure why my Mac snuck in there. xD
I hope to get a RoboNova control board, and transplant it into MANOI so I can use it on my Mac. :) H2H just isn't working for me. (Nor is windows, ever, but that's a different story)
Thanks!

Yeah, I use the Heart 2 Heart software on a Windows XP machine. I'm not sure why my Mac snuck in there. xD
I hope to get a RoboNova control board, and transplant it into MANOI so I can use it on my Mac. :) H2H just isn't working for me. (Nor is windows, ever, but that's a different story)
RobotGrrl offline

Post by Peabo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:14 am

Post by Peabo
Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:14 am

I see! I have an XP machine that I don't use too often, but I've seen some photos on flickr of a guy running a PF01 on a mac using virtualization software. I may give this a try since my laptop is a Mac also, and it would be easier to have a more mobile device to program him with.

I almost bought a Robonova a while back, but held out as I was looking for a robot which was more aesthetically pleasing in a cute way as opposed to a Robocop way :)
I see! I have an XP machine that I don't use too often, but I've seen some photos on flickr of a guy running a PF01 on a mac using virtualization software. I may give this a try since my laptop is a Mac also, and it would be easier to have a more mobile device to program him with.

I almost bought a Robonova a while back, but held out as I was looking for a robot which was more aesthetically pleasing in a cute way as opposed to a Robocop way :)
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by RobotGrrl » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:18 am

Post by RobotGrrl
Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:18 am

Hmmm.. but either way, it's Windows. :(

Same here! I have the shell all ready, but I have to wait for the weather to get warmer to spraypaint it. (I tried painting it this winter, and it got all disgustingish)

I went from a Lego Robotics kit to a MANOI. It is definitely possible. The RoboNova would have been too easy for me. I liked the challenge of trying to see the pictures in the instructions, and just going with the flow. The only thing that happened to my MANOI was a reversal of legs, which isn't too bad! :D

So I think buying a RoboNov board is the best way to go, and putting it with the MANOI. :D I want to try it, but I don't have enough money right now ;(
Hmmm.. but either way, it's Windows. :(

Same here! I have the shell all ready, but I have to wait for the weather to get warmer to spraypaint it. (I tried painting it this winter, and it got all disgustingish)

I went from a Lego Robotics kit to a MANOI. It is definitely possible. The RoboNova would have been too easy for me. I liked the challenge of trying to see the pictures in the instructions, and just going with the flow. The only thing that happened to my MANOI was a reversal of legs, which isn't too bad! :D

So I think buying a RoboNov board is the best way to go, and putting it with the MANOI. :D I want to try it, but I don't have enough money right now ;(
RobotGrrl offline

Post by Peabo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:27 am

Post by Peabo
Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:27 am

RobotGrrl wrote:Hmmm.. but either way, it's Windows. :(

Painting the parts would be fun, but PF is pre-painted as I understand. I know you can get the entire unpainted shell separately from a few places so maybe one day I'll do that. I'd like to paint him red like Nono from Ulysses 31.

I suppose this will also be my first kit robot since Lego. I have an NXT (the one that looks like a bipedal Johnny 5) and had fun assembling that, although it is a bit too straightforward, having spent a large portion of my childhood assembling Lego Technic. The prospect of assembling something as complex as Manoi is really exciting. In fact, I'm probably looking forward to building him the most! I do love a challenge :)
RobotGrrl wrote:Hmmm.. but either way, it's Windows. :(

Painting the parts would be fun, but PF is pre-painted as I understand. I know you can get the entire unpainted shell separately from a few places so maybe one day I'll do that. I'd like to paint him red like Nono from Ulysses 31.

I suppose this will also be my first kit robot since Lego. I have an NXT (the one that looks like a bipedal Johnny 5) and had fun assembling that, although it is a bit too straightforward, having spent a large portion of my childhood assembling Lego Technic. The prospect of assembling something as complex as Manoi is really exciting. In fact, I'm probably looking forward to building him the most! I do love a challenge :)
Peabo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1