Deciding between MANOI AT01 and RoboBuilder (URGENT!)

Takahashi's design (robo-garage.com), Kondo servos and controller, and kit production by RC company Kyosho brought to life PF01.
19 postsPage 2 of 21, 2
19 postsPage 2 of 21, 2

Gyro

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:35 pm

Post by UncleBob
Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:35 pm

What u trying to do by correcting the movement with the gyro I have done similar thing with the Bioloid premium offset function. The best I can come up is to balance after each step in the interval. Doing it during walking is not feasible since the robot moves a lot and the gyro will give wrong data and make the robot jump.

I have seen gyro mixing in the khr2 video. Not sure how they do it. I thing manoi should have some default programming also. I have seen manoi run very fast though not sure if they been reprogram.
What u trying to do by correcting the movement with the gyro I have done similar thing with the Bioloid premium offset function. The best I can come up is to balance after each step in the interval. Doing it during walking is not feasible since the robot moves a lot and the gyro will give wrong data and make the robot jump.

I have seen gyro mixing in the khr2 video. Not sure how they do it. I thing manoi should have some default programming also. I have seen manoi run very fast though not sure if they been reprogram.
UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by veltrop » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:24 pm

Post by veltrop
Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:24 pm

Sorry I don't know anything about fitting the Roboard on a Manoi.

But I can tell you that Im doing plenty of multitasking using the RoBoIO library, including mixing the gyro data for balancing.

My motion scripting setup isn't sophisticated enough to allow separate mixing for each pose, but that could easily be implemented. Currently the mixing is global. Anyway, the point is that I'm doing it with RoBoIO, you don't have to worry about it's capabilities.

I'd love to see if there are performance gains using RN1's code, but I probably won't mess with Windows on the Roboard. If a Linux variant was available I'd certainly give it a try. The code in my repository is abstracted well enough that the bottom layer can be changed out without too much work.

And you have the benefit of trying both of our code bases :)

To answer your questions about ROS it fully supports C++ and Python. I think there is some limited functionality for other languages. It's not an operating system for the computer, Linux handles that part. It's an operating system for the Robot, running as a bunch of programs in Linux. The ROS API is a framework of algorithms and communication methods. The communication methods allow you to write many programs that interact with each other, so it helps with nice modularity and multitasking.

Definitely want to take a look at http://www.ros.org/wiki/ROS/StartGuide before jumping into ROS.
Sorry I don't know anything about fitting the Roboard on a Manoi.

But I can tell you that Im doing plenty of multitasking using the RoBoIO library, including mixing the gyro data for balancing.

My motion scripting setup isn't sophisticated enough to allow separate mixing for each pose, but that could easily be implemented. Currently the mixing is global. Anyway, the point is that I'm doing it with RoBoIO, you don't have to worry about it's capabilities.

I'd love to see if there are performance gains using RN1's code, but I probably won't mess with Windows on the Roboard. If a Linux variant was available I'd certainly give it a try. The code in my repository is abstracted well enough that the bottom layer can be changed out without too much work.

And you have the benefit of trying both of our code bases :)

To answer your questions about ROS it fully supports C++ and Python. I think there is some limited functionality for other languages. It's not an operating system for the computer, Linux handles that part. It's an operating system for the Robot, running as a bunch of programs in Linux. The ROS API is a framework of algorithms and communication methods. The communication methods allow you to write many programs that interact with each other, so it helps with nice modularity and multitasking.

Definitely want to take a look at http://www.ros.org/wiki/ROS/StartGuide before jumping into ROS.
veltrop offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by IgorT » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Post by IgorT
Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:48 pm

I think i know which MANOI video you mean.

That would be a good example of real-time mixing. The RCB-3 can do that.
H2H has two options for it - Motion Interrupt, to stand up after falling and Real-time Mixing, to balance while performing motions...

I don't know how RCB3 does it exactly, what bothers me is that i'd have no direct control over it or that i couldn't write my own programs for it like one can with many other robots...

If i had the option of direct programming, creating the motion control algorithms would definitely be a challenge, but one i would have fun trying to solve..
I think i know which MANOI video you mean.

That would be a good example of real-time mixing. The RCB-3 can do that.
H2H has two options for it - Motion Interrupt, to stand up after falling and Real-time Mixing, to balance while performing motions...

I don't know how RCB3 does it exactly, what bothers me is that i'd have no direct control over it or that i couldn't write my own programs for it like one can with many other robots...

If i had the option of direct programming, creating the motion control algorithms would definitely be a challenge, but one i would have fun trying to solve..
IgorT offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by IgorT » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:26 pm

Post by IgorT
Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:26 pm

veltrop wrote:But I can tell you that Im doing plenty of multitasking using the RoBoIO library, including mixing the gyro data for balancing.

Hmm, interesting... So what are the problems RN1A is referring to then? Or could it be a problem limited to Windows, that you don't notice in Linux?
Do you know of things that would be desirable but the RoBoIO can't do?

Just wanna know what i'm getting into before i spend another $500 on it...

Is the RoBoIO library available for download somewhere, or do you only get it with the purchase of the board? I was hoping to study it's functions a little first, it would help me make sure it can do everything i want....

Also, when you issue a command to a bunch of servos, can you do other things while it's playing out, or do you have to wait?
Can you issue a new set of commands to another set of servos while the first ones are still doing their thing?

Thanks for helping me out and answering my questions btw!
veltrop wrote:But I can tell you that Im doing plenty of multitasking using the RoBoIO library, including mixing the gyro data for balancing.

Hmm, interesting... So what are the problems RN1A is referring to then? Or could it be a problem limited to Windows, that you don't notice in Linux?
Do you know of things that would be desirable but the RoBoIO can't do?

Just wanna know what i'm getting into before i spend another $500 on it...

Is the RoBoIO library available for download somewhere, or do you only get it with the purchase of the board? I was hoping to study it's functions a little first, it would help me make sure it can do everything i want....

Also, when you issue a command to a bunch of servos, can you do other things while it's playing out, or do you have to wait?
Can you issue a new set of commands to another set of servos while the first ones are still doing their thing?

Thanks for helping me out and answering my questions btw!
IgorT offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Previous
Previous
19 postsPage 2 of 21, 2
19 postsPage 2 of 21, 2