Power Supply

Takahashi's design (robo-garage.com), Kondo servos and controller, and kit production by RC company Kyosho brought to life PF01.
8 postsPage 1 of 1
8 postsPage 1 of 1

Power Supply

Post by alexj212 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:03 am

Post by alexj212
Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:03 am

Taking a cue from slashsplat, I think I am going to go the route of using a power supply.

In looking over the RCB3-J english documentation, it says in the specs that the operating volatage is 9-12 volts. I just wanted to see if anyone else has hooked up 12 to the RCB controller. 12 V power supplies are all over the place and cheap.

Also there is a shunt on Power Supply Setup on the controller board. Does anyone know what this does?
Taking a cue from slashsplat, I think I am going to go the route of using a power supply.

In looking over the RCB3-J english documentation, it says in the specs that the operating volatage is 9-12 volts. I just wanted to see if anyone else has hooked up 12 to the RCB controller. 12 V power supplies are all over the place and cheap.

Also there is a shunt on Power Supply Setup on the controller board. Does anyone know what this does?
alexj212 offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by slashsplat » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:34 am

Post by slashsplat
Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:34 am

AHA! 12V. I will try it. I have a brand new ATX supply that I prepared before and stopped when I got concerned in favor of a regulated that I could control... Will post the results or smoke.
AHA! 12V. I will try it. I have a brand new ATX supply that I prepared before and stopped when I got concerned in favor of a regulated that I could control... Will post the results or smoke.
<i>Ira Chandler</i> /* slashsplat */
<b>http://BotConnect.com</b>
home of the American MANOI Users Group
slashsplat offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by alexj212 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:59 am

Post by alexj212
Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:59 am

I have my manoi hooked up to 12v, and I am not seeign any issues. No smoke looks good. I wired up a teather to a 12v dc 1.25 amp wall wart.
I have my manoi hooked up to 12v, and I am not seeign any issues. No smoke looks good. I wired up a teather to a 12v dc 1.25 amp wall wart.
alexj212 offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by slashsplat » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:59 am

Post by slashsplat
Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:59 am

I will then continue the hookup of a PC ATX power supply. Thanks, you adventurous soul. NO SMOKE is good!
I will then continue the hookup of a PC ATX power supply. Thanks, you adventurous soul. NO SMOKE is good!
<i>Ira Chandler</i> /* slashsplat */
<b>http://BotConnect.com</b>
home of the American MANOI Users Group
slashsplat offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Orac » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:01 pm

Post by Orac
Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:01 pm

Hi, I have plenty of 12V power supplies, my worry is that most "12V" supplies actually pump out around 13-14v, would someone who has sucessfully used one of these mind check ing the no load output voltage for me?

Mine is 13.8V

Many thanks
Hi, I have plenty of 12V power supplies, my worry is that most "12V" supplies actually pump out around 13-14v, would someone who has sucessfully used one of these mind check ing the no load output voltage for me?

Mine is 13.8V

Many thanks
Orac offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PaulP » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:03 pm

Post by PaulP
Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:03 pm

Your concerns tie in with my own, 9 cells at 1.2V is fine but when they are freshly re-charged they can put out as much as 1.4V This would give 12.6V which is over the recommended level for the RCB.

It might explain why they didn't go with a 12V system which would have been more standard.

Either that or they couldn't be bothered to redesign the front cover to get an extra cell in..... :D
Your concerns tie in with my own, 9 cells at 1.2V is fine but when they are freshly re-charged they can put out as much as 1.4V This would give 12.6V which is over the recommended level for the RCB.

It might explain why they didn't go with a 12V system which would have been more standard.

Either that or they couldn't be bothered to redesign the front cover to get an extra cell in..... :D
PaulP offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PaulP » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:08 pm

Post by PaulP
Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:08 pm

I've had mine tied to a power supply for a while now and no adverse effects, It is a regulated supply though and I'm meticulous about checking the voltage before powering up.

I've also modded the charger connection so that I can charge the battery in-situ when its turned off or run off power supply. Too idle to mess with those fiddly little clips.
I've had mine tied to a power supply for a while now and no adverse effects, It is a regulated supply though and I'm meticulous about checking the voltage before powering up.

I've also modded the charger connection so that I can charge the battery in-situ when its turned off or run off power supply. Too idle to mess with those fiddly little clips.
PaulP offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Orac » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:45 pm

Post by Orac
Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:45 pm

At last my shiney new triple output variable bench PSU has arrived, I will be fine tuning the home position into the early hours :)
At last my shiney new triple output variable bench PSU has arrived, I will be fine tuning the home position into the early hours :)
Orac offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

8 postsPage 1 of 1
8 postsPage 1 of 1