My Futaba RBT-1 is here!!!

11 postsPage 1 of 1
11 postsPage 1 of 1

My Futaba RBT-1 is here!!!

Post by cdraptor » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Post by cdraptor
Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:23 pm

I picked up my Futaba RBT-1 at my hobby shop today, at the moment I'm charging him up. More info and you tube videos to come later on tonight. Are we gonna get a Futaba/HPI or RBT-1/G-Robot category on the forums??
I picked up my Futaba RBT-1 at my hobby shop today, at the moment I'm charging him up. More info and you tube videos to come later on tonight. Are we gonna get a Futaba/HPI or RBT-1/G-Robot category on the forums??
cdraptor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by cdraptor » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:32 am

Post by cdraptor
Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:32 am

All Charged up here are some videos. I was trying the handstand but he couldn't seem to pull it off, he left arm wasn't holding, turned out to be a lose screw. As I had learned from Trossen's blog there is a clutch like mechanism between the servo horn and brackets, which allows the bracket to snap out of place when too much pressure is applied, you can then just twist it back. The problem was on the left arm it was too loose so any pressure was causing it to snap out.

Anyway enjoy the vids, more to come. Including a successful handstand.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
All Charged up here are some videos. I was trying the handstand but he couldn't seem to pull it off, he left arm wasn't holding, turned out to be a lose screw. As I had learned from Trossen's blog there is a clutch like mechanism between the servo horn and brackets, which allows the bracket to snap out of place when too much pressure is applied, you can then just twist it back. The problem was on the left arm it was too loose so any pressure was causing it to snap out.

Anyway enjoy the vids, more to come. Including a successful handstand.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
cdraptor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by cdraptor » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:32 am

Post by cdraptor
Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:32 am

One last video for tonight. After I tightened up the screw in the shoulder the RBT-1 pulled off the handstand easily

phpBB [media]

After playing around a good bit tonight with the RBT-1 I must say it's fun, snappy and you can zip around very well. The RBT-1 is too small and light for Robo One battles. Also the protection feature that Futaba built in when the bot takes a fall, also would be a problem, a good smack and the joint pops out to keep the servo from being overstressed, but you have to pick it up and pop it back in to get going again.

I'll be messing with the software soon so I'll update later on with some info on that.
One last video for tonight. After I tightened up the screw in the shoulder the RBT-1 pulled off the handstand easily

phpBB [media]

After playing around a good bit tonight with the RBT-1 I must say it's fun, snappy and you can zip around very well. The RBT-1 is too small and light for Robo One battles. Also the protection feature that Futaba built in when the bot takes a fall, also would be a problem, a good smack and the joint pops out to keep the servo from being overstressed, but you have to pick it up and pop it back in to get going again.

I'll be messing with the software soon so I'll update later on with some info on that.
cdraptor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by fuzzyoboe » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:41 am

Post by fuzzyoboe
Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:41 am

I got mine yesterday. The manual file and start file (acrobat file) in my CD were corrupted, is it only my CD or is the problem with other CD too.
I got mine yesterday. The manual file and start file (acrobat file) in my CD were corrupted, is it only my CD or is the problem with other CD too.
fuzzyoboe offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by RedFoxDude » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:19 am

Post by RedFoxDude
Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:19 am

ooOOooOO! Looks really cool! I'm gonna have to get one eventually...

RedFoxDude
ooOOooOO! Looks really cool! I'm gonna have to get one eventually...

RedFoxDude
RedFoxDude offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by robbybot » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:07 pm

Post by robbybot
Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:07 pm

:D fantastic! this is the robot to finally tempt me into splashing the reddies. i am currently still slowly progressing with my robotis robo one project robotbut this little guy looks like the perfect package for the begginer like me to get to grips with the initial steps in the hobby!
just out of interest are there as many canned moves as displayed on the japanese gr - 001 website:

http://www.hpirobot.jp/product/index.html

as there seem to be many different walking gaits including a long dynamic step ? if all these are included then superb if not i wonder if they are available for download from futaba? (cant work it out from the site as is in japanese).
cheers rob. :wink:
:D fantastic! this is the robot to finally tempt me into splashing the reddies. i am currently still slowly progressing with my robotis robo one project robotbut this little guy looks like the perfect package for the begginer like me to get to grips with the initial steps in the hobby!
just out of interest are there as many canned moves as displayed on the japanese gr - 001 website:

http://www.hpirobot.jp/product/index.html

as there seem to be many different walking gaits including a long dynamic step ? if all these are included then superb if not i wonder if they are available for download from futaba? (cant work it out from the site as is in japanese).
cheers rob. :wink:
You and your friend are in an open field and are confronted by a hungry lion.The lion starts to charge and it is clear you must run.What should your immediate goal be?Some say "Outrun the lion."Others say "Outrun your friend."
robbybot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by cdraptor » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:14 pm

Post by cdraptor
Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:14 pm

The robot has different modes, out of the box you can set the robot up to respond to the PS/2 like controller and he's already setup with a whole set of movements so you can get started right away.

I like the software for the RBT-1 better than the Bioloid software. Without connecting the robot, you can play around with the robot in 3D versus the Bioloid you must have him on and connected to work - I like this since I can spend more time without running down the batteries.

The is a 3-axis G Sensor built into the unit, I have to experiment with that to find out how to help keep the RBT-1 from falling forward when he stops running, I've gotten pretty good at applying the right amount of lean back when he stops.

In the manual it references a Gyro that is in development and on the side the Processor unit there is another connector. What I hope is that it's going to be something you can connected different sensors, the only downside is unless you can chain them you would only be able to have one at a time. The Gyro may be the only thing planned for that.

unlike the Bioloid your not doing any RBT-1 programming unless your planning to hack the Processor unit. So it's more of an R/C or motion sequence playback bot. If he was bigger and stronger while still being able to move and perform like he does he would be a wicked contender in the Robo One. Think Humanoid RoboCup soccer.
The robot has different modes, out of the box you can set the robot up to respond to the PS/2 like controller and he's already setup with a whole set of movements so you can get started right away.

I like the software for the RBT-1 better than the Bioloid software. Without connecting the robot, you can play around with the robot in 3D versus the Bioloid you must have him on and connected to work - I like this since I can spend more time without running down the batteries.

The is a 3-axis G Sensor built into the unit, I have to experiment with that to find out how to help keep the RBT-1 from falling forward when he stops running, I've gotten pretty good at applying the right amount of lean back when he stops.

In the manual it references a Gyro that is in development and on the side the Processor unit there is another connector. What I hope is that it's going to be something you can connected different sensors, the only downside is unless you can chain them you would only be able to have one at a time. The Gyro may be the only thing planned for that.

unlike the Bioloid your not doing any RBT-1 programming unless your planning to hack the Processor unit. So it's more of an R/C or motion sequence playback bot. If he was bigger and stronger while still being able to move and perform like he does he would be a wicked contender in the Robo One. Think Humanoid RoboCup soccer.
cdraptor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by robbybot » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:55 pm

Post by robbybot
Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:55 pm

yeah, my thoughts exactly when i saw the rbt 1 was totally brilliant in all ways except size and plastic brackets. if futaba brought out a more robost set of metal brackets and servos similar to what robotis do with the dx 117 or rx 64 then using the rbt processor and software combined with these additions would indeed produce a fearsome contender to robo one!
still it will happen one day im sure and the rbt 1 does look like a fantastic addition to the humanoid ranks. i did notice on the gr 001 jap website there is a picture of one of the servos with a metal bracket attached but there was no reference to any accessories for the current servos there.
the leaning feature looks quite cool , sort of manual balancing by eye i guess?
rob
yeah, my thoughts exactly when i saw the rbt 1 was totally brilliant in all ways except size and plastic brackets. if futaba brought out a more robost set of metal brackets and servos similar to what robotis do with the dx 117 or rx 64 then using the rbt processor and software combined with these additions would indeed produce a fearsome contender to robo one!
still it will happen one day im sure and the rbt 1 does look like a fantastic addition to the humanoid ranks. i did notice on the gr 001 jap website there is a picture of one of the servos with a metal bracket attached but there was no reference to any accessories for the current servos there.
the leaning feature looks quite cool , sort of manual balancing by eye i guess?
rob
You and your friend are in an open field and are confronted by a hungry lion.The lion starts to charge and it is clear you must run.What should your immediate goal be?Some say "Outrun the lion."Others say "Outrun your friend."
robbybot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by cdraptor » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:28 am

Post by cdraptor
Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:28 am

What I am anxious to see if if they Futaba/HPI do with the robot what they typically do with their RC cars - they call hop-ups. More powerful this/that to add on or replace. Will they create more powerful servos at the size, I believe the servos on this are a much smaller frame than the typical Hitec or Futaba Robot servos. I have been looking at Lynxmotion and the brackets they have for putting together a robot from the ground up.

Anyway regardless of the size, the RBT-1 is a blast to play with. It already has a ton of canned motions already loaded onto the bot, I'm going to be over the next couple days hacking out some new motions and adding them to the controller.

The leaning feature works with the analog reading of the right stick on the controller, it's kinda touchy but once you play with it, you can do the forward run, then lean left or right to have him curve around that direction and you need to master the lean slightly back before you stop, so he doesn't topple forward at the end of his forward run. I've got it down pretty decent now.

Of course more videos to come, I need to smack down the Robonova tribute one legged flap move tonight.

One of the sequences they have in the RBT-1 loaded already is one that you see in the video, has him do the left/right attack, handstand, then he does the one legged lift, then side split where he shifts to the center split and gets back up on his tip toes (first time he did that he lost his balance), next time it was a success. Anyway it's cool to watch him go through the sequence.

Trying to find out in the manual what his motion and sequence limitations in memory are versus the Bioloid so far he seems to have a lot more memory to play with.

more info to come later tonight/tomorrow
What I am anxious to see if if they Futaba/HPI do with the robot what they typically do with their RC cars - they call hop-ups. More powerful this/that to add on or replace. Will they create more powerful servos at the size, I believe the servos on this are a much smaller frame than the typical Hitec or Futaba Robot servos. I have been looking at Lynxmotion and the brackets they have for putting together a robot from the ground up.

Anyway regardless of the size, the RBT-1 is a blast to play with. It already has a ton of canned motions already loaded onto the bot, I'm going to be over the next couple days hacking out some new motions and adding them to the controller.

The leaning feature works with the analog reading of the right stick on the controller, it's kinda touchy but once you play with it, you can do the forward run, then lean left or right to have him curve around that direction and you need to master the lean slightly back before you stop, so he doesn't topple forward at the end of his forward run. I've got it down pretty decent now.

Of course more videos to come, I need to smack down the Robonova tribute one legged flap move tonight.

One of the sequences they have in the RBT-1 loaded already is one that you see in the video, has him do the left/right attack, handstand, then he does the one legged lift, then side split where he shifts to the center split and gets back up on his tip toes (first time he did that he lost his balance), next time it was a success. Anyway it's cool to watch him go through the sequence.

Trying to find out in the manual what his motion and sequence limitations in memory are versus the Bioloid so far he seems to have a lot more memory to play with.

more info to come later tonight/tomorrow
cdraptor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by robbybot » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:43 am

Post by robbybot
Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:43 am

great work fella, just enlighten me when you say hack a sequence from the motion editior to put on the controller what do you mean? i thought from looking at the jap website the gamepad controller and processor came with all their featured moves pre installed. are you saying it comes with a few but its upto you to upload the others to the robots processor then assign to the gamepad? that would be pretty cool as you could deside which moves go on which buttons?

http://www.hpirobot.jp/pdf/product_movi ... ntorol.pdf

http://www.hpirobot.jp/pdf/product_movi ... ontrol.pdf

yeah ive seen futaba have larger robot servos but dont know if they would be compatible? one things for sure they are not the sort of company to release something like this and not have some future plan for where they are going to take it! i guess hop ups or like you said maybe some higher spec servos . or maybe an advanced kit for people who want to enter robo one? :wink:
great work fella, just enlighten me when you say hack a sequence from the motion editior to put on the controller what do you mean? i thought from looking at the jap website the gamepad controller and processor came with all their featured moves pre installed. are you saying it comes with a few but its upto you to upload the others to the robots processor then assign to the gamepad? that would be pretty cool as you could deside which moves go on which buttons?

http://www.hpirobot.jp/pdf/product_movi ... ntorol.pdf

http://www.hpirobot.jp/pdf/product_movi ... ontrol.pdf

yeah ive seen futaba have larger robot servos but dont know if they would be compatible? one things for sure they are not the sort of company to release something like this and not have some future plan for where they are going to take it! i guess hop ups or like you said maybe some higher spec servos . or maybe an advanced kit for people who want to enter robo one? :wink:
robbybot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by cdraptor » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:47 pm

Post by cdraptor
Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:47 pm

Yeah, when you load up the RBT-1 Motion Editor you basically can create a project or add/remove from the existing. You basically can put together poses and then combine them to make motions. You can create a routine of motions and save that as Sequence. You then can call up the data transfer routine and you can assign motions and sequences into a set of slots. Then you call up the controller option and you can program the buttons to execute a motion or sequence.

You can also load up sequences and change the setting on the RPU to auto play a set sequence.

I really like they way they have this setup. The only thing I miss is that the autoplay would be something you could program with code versus just creating a can set of motions as a sequence.
Yeah, when you load up the RBT-1 Motion Editor you basically can create a project or add/remove from the existing. You basically can put together poses and then combine them to make motions. You can create a routine of motions and save that as Sequence. You then can call up the data transfer routine and you can assign motions and sequences into a set of slots. Then you call up the controller option and you can program the buttons to execute a motion or sequence.

You can also load up sequences and change the setting on the RPU to auto play a set sequence.

I really like they way they have this setup. The only thing I miss is that the autoplay would be something you could program with code versus just creating a can set of motions as a sequence.
cdraptor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

11 postsPage 1 of 1
11 postsPage 1 of 1