i-SOBOT Battery Specs & Spare Sets

Takara Tomy's i-SOBOT is the first humanoid "toy" launched at end of 2007. This forum is dedicated to hacking the i-SOBOT.
20 postsPage 1 of 21, 2
20 postsPage 1 of 21, 2

i-SOBOT Battery Specs & Spare Sets

Post by Humanoido » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:01 am

Post by Humanoido
Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:01 am

Finding an extra set of batteries for i-SOBOT is not too difficult. Keep in mind to match the exact voltage and battery type. The i-SOBOT batteries are nickel metal hydride rechargeable in AAA HR03 size. The battery model is Sanyo HR-4UTG 1.2 volt, type 800 mAh, Minimum 750mAh. The charge time for this battery is approximately 6 hours. This information was collected from the battery logo, Sanyo charger instructions, and i-SOBOT instruction manual.

humanoido
Finding an extra set of batteries for i-SOBOT is not too difficult. Keep in mind to match the exact voltage and battery type. The i-SOBOT batteries are nickel metal hydride rechargeable in AAA HR03 size. The battery model is Sanyo HR-4UTG 1.2 volt, type 800 mAh, Minimum 750mAh. The charge time for this battery is approximately 6 hours. This information was collected from the battery logo, Sanyo charger instructions, and i-SOBOT instruction manual.

humanoido
Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Humanoido » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:14 pm

Post by Humanoido
Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:14 pm

Energizer at http://www.energizer.com makes a 900mAh 1.2v battery NiMH, order number NH12 BP2.

For i-SOBOTS living in China, a similar battery rated at 800mAh, by Sunpadow http://www.3-circles.com, is available at most department stores. Their email is 3circles@3-circles.com.

humanoido
Energizer at http://www.energizer.com makes a 900mAh 1.2v battery NiMH, order number NH12 BP2.

For i-SOBOTS living in China, a similar battery rated at 800mAh, by Sunpadow http://www.3-circles.com, is available at most department stores. Their email is 3circles@3-circles.com.

humanoido
Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by prallplatte » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:38 pm

Post by prallplatte
Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:38 pm

Humanoido wrote:For i-SOBOTS living in China, ...

Great!
Humanoido wrote:For i-SOBOTS living in China, ...

Great!
prallplatte offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Humanoido » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:37 am

Post by Humanoido
Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:37 am

Longer Play Time
Another note about the batteries - I notice a longer play time with the higher mAh rating. This may be the key to extending the functioning life of i-SOBOT on a single set of batteries before recharging. It looks like the extra battery sets were a great investment. I keep two extra sets of 3 batteries fully recharged and standing by.

humanoido
Longer Play Time
Another note about the batteries - I notice a longer play time with the higher mAh rating. This may be the key to extending the functioning life of i-SOBOT on a single set of batteries before recharging. It looks like the extra battery sets were a great investment. I keep two extra sets of 3 batteries fully recharged and standing by.

humanoido
Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Mudbugnla » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:44 pm

Post by Mudbugnla
Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:44 pm

Humanoido. Are you using the 900 mah energizer versions for longer run times?
Humanoido. Are you using the 900 mah energizer versions for longer run times?
Mudbugnla offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by Humanoido » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:35 am

Post by Humanoido
Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:35 am

Yes, I was actually comparing the 800 with 900 mAh battery set and the differences in run time with the 900 was remarkable! When I go to purchase another battery set, my idea is to shop for an even greater mAh rating. There are new battery models coming into the stores with up to 1200 mAh ratings. The idea and criteria is to match the exact same voltage (1.2 volts each battery) and the same physical AAA size. When I have more information about these batteries, or if anyone has the opportunity to try a set, please post the results here.

humanoido
Yes, I was actually comparing the 800 with 900 mAh battery set and the differences in run time with the 900 was remarkable! When I go to purchase another battery set, my idea is to shop for an even greater mAh rating. There are new battery models coming into the stores with up to 1200 mAh ratings. The idea and criteria is to match the exact same voltage (1.2 volts each battery) and the same physical AAA size. When I have more information about these batteries, or if anyone has the opportunity to try a set, please post the results here.

humanoido
Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Mudbugnla » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Post by Mudbugnla
Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Awesome! Sounds like a plan. 1200 mah would give some real play time.
Awesome! Sounds like a plan. 1200 mah would give some real play time.
Mudbugnla offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by Humanoido » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Post by Humanoido
Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:22 pm

It's a good plan! Next time out, I'll look for the 1200 mAh Energizer batteries. This is an update about the Chinese Sunpadow batteries. One has already failed and is defective. When purchasing these batteries in China, try to avoid smaller local markets as they have no return policy. The best bet is to shop at a large store with a return policy.

humanoido
It's a good plan! Next time out, I'll look for the 1200 mAh Energizer batteries. This is an update about the Chinese Sunpadow batteries. One has already failed and is defective. When purchasing these batteries in China, try to avoid smaller local markets as they have no return policy. The best bet is to shop at a large store with a return policy.

humanoido
Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Mudbugnla » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:07 pm

Post by Mudbugnla
Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:07 pm

Any news on the 1200's yet?
Mudbugnla offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by Humanoido » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:26 am

Post by Humanoido
Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:26 am

The 1200mAh Batteries
Well, yes and no. Here's the update: Actually, the only 1200s I could find are in the AA size, which is much larger than the AAA required by i-SOBOT. I checked numerous sources and it was all the same. The largest capacity AAA batteries were all 900mAh - in the same nickel metal hydride technology.

A Solution
So my solution was to buy more sets of the 900 AAAs. So now, along with the originals, my humanoid has a total of 13 batteries which makes 4 sets and one extra battery for good luck. This has worked perfect, but the next thing I want is an extra charger so more than one set can charge at a time. This won't be a problem, as the AAA 900mAh batteries are also packaged as "two batteries along with a charger." The cost appears reasonable.

A Surprise
Another surprise, when setting up a new Asian robotics laboratory, I came across the 1200mAh AA batteries! There's at least 4 of these, and probably another 4 hiding in a box somewhere, so it may be possible to develop some kind of battery attachment in spite of the larger physical battery size. If I have any positive results on this, a posting will follow.

Additional Battery Info
For some additional information, the battery solution for the Parallax Penguin robot was to use two of the CR123 batteries. These really pack a lot of power into a small package, and the physical size is fatter around but more stout in height. By matching the combined voltages for the i-SOBOT requirement, an interesting and useful battery pack may be achieved. Plus, these batteries could set partially inside the existing front chest battery cavity for maximum space utilization and to minimize influences on balance and posture.

humanoido

The 1200mAh Batteries
Well, yes and no. Here's the update: Actually, the only 1200s I could find are in the AA size, which is much larger than the AAA required by i-SOBOT. I checked numerous sources and it was all the same. The largest capacity AAA batteries were all 900mAh - in the same nickel metal hydride technology.

A Solution
So my solution was to buy more sets of the 900 AAAs. So now, along with the originals, my humanoid has a total of 13 batteries which makes 4 sets and one extra battery for good luck. This has worked perfect, but the next thing I want is an extra charger so more than one set can charge at a time. This won't be a problem, as the AAA 900mAh batteries are also packaged as "two batteries along with a charger." The cost appears reasonable.

A Surprise
Another surprise, when setting up a new Asian robotics laboratory, I came across the 1200mAh AA batteries! There's at least 4 of these, and probably another 4 hiding in a box somewhere, so it may be possible to develop some kind of battery attachment in spite of the larger physical battery size. If I have any positive results on this, a posting will follow.

Additional Battery Info
For some additional information, the battery solution for the Parallax Penguin robot was to use two of the CR123 batteries. These really pack a lot of power into a small package, and the physical size is fatter around but more stout in height. By matching the combined voltages for the i-SOBOT requirement, an interesting and useful battery pack may be achieved. Plus, these batteries could set partially inside the existing front chest battery cavity for maximum space utilization and to minimize influences on balance and posture.

humanoido
Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Robodave » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Post by Robodave
Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Hello guys
I'm new to the forum and to robotics and hopefully will soon receive my little I-Sobot, I ordered. 8)
I read your post and was wondering if these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-Batte ... 140&sr=8-1

NiMH rechargeables with 1000 mAh would also work in our little friend.
For German I-Sobot fans like me click here

http://www.amazon.de/Energizer-Advanced ... 018&sr=8-2

I am in to buy aditional batteries as well.
:D
Hello guys
I'm new to the forum and to robotics and hopefully will soon receive my little I-Sobot, I ordered. 8)
I read your post and was wondering if these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-Batte ... 140&sr=8-1

NiMH rechargeables with 1000 mAh would also work in our little friend.
For German I-Sobot fans like me click here

http://www.amazon.de/Energizer-Advanced ... 018&sr=8-2

I am in to buy aditional batteries as well.
:D
Robodave offline

Post by Robodave » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:53 pm

Post by Robodave
Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:53 pm

Oh I just saw that it have to be AAA HR03
so the energizer wont work (not sure), which are AAA LR03

But also HR03 I found in amazon with 1000 mAh
here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Micro-HR03 ... 550&sr=1-1
I'm really no expert so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Oh I just saw that it have to be AAA HR03
so the energizer wont work (not sure), which are AAA LR03

But also HR03 I found in amazon with 1000 mAh
here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Micro-HR03 ... 550&sr=1-1
I'm really no expert so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Robodave offline

Post by Humanoido » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:48 pm

Post by Humanoido
Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:48 pm

The main thing is keeping track of the output voltage from these batteries and their physical size. I don't know if Amazon.com posts the battery size but be sure to match it. There won't be physical space inside the battery compartment for the next level size.

humanoido
The main thing is keeping track of the output voltage from these batteries and their physical size. I don't know if Amazon.com posts the battery size but be sure to match it. There won't be physical space inside the battery compartment for the next level size.

humanoido
Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Humanoido » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:53 pm

Post by Humanoido
Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:53 pm

Incidentally, I've had such good luck with the batteries that I mentioned in the previous posts, there's no need to look for others at this time. After having several matching sets, I can keep one set in isobot and another two sets fully charged and waiting. He never seems to get the full hour on a set because I work out the little guy pretty hard. So in a single day, the batteries will surely be in the charger. Now I'd like some extra chargers. :)

humanoido
Incidentally, I've had such good luck with the batteries that I mentioned in the previous posts, there's no need to look for others at this time. After having several matching sets, I can keep one set in isobot and another two sets fully charged and waiting. He never seems to get the full hour on a set because I work out the little guy pretty hard. So in a single day, the batteries will surely be in the charger. Now I'd like some extra chargers. :)

humanoido
Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by robots42 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:40 pm

Post by robots42
Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:40 pm

This page lists cell types and links to PDFs
http://data.energizer.com/Europe/Europe_Datasheets.aspx
The HR03 are 1,2v and are rechargeable
the LR03 are 1.5v and are not rechargeable .
David
This page lists cell types and links to PDFs
http://data.energizer.com/Europe/Europe_Datasheets.aspx
The HR03 are 1,2v and are rechargeable
the LR03 are 1.5v and are not rechargeable .
David
robots42 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Next
Next
20 postsPage 1 of 21, 2
20 postsPage 1 of 21, 2