Battery Charging

Takara Tomy's i-SOBOT is the first humanoid "toy" launched at end of 2007. This forum is dedicated to hacking the i-SOBOT.
6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1

Battery Charging

Post by Humanoido » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:23 am

Post by Humanoido
Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:23 am

When charging batteries, remember to keep an eye on all batteries every half hour, otherwise set an alarm based on time less than the estimated full charge time. I'm finding that the recharge rates vary and the battery charger light is not an accurate indication of the full charge or charging status. It seems these batteries reach a full charge and if not removed, will become warm to the touch. They will also give off a significant battery chemical odor, more noticeable when the charger lid is slid open. If any of these conditions happen, immediately remove the batteries because they're usually fully charged! I've tested three brands, metering each brand at various stages, both under load and not, and at various charging times.

humanoido
When charging batteries, remember to keep an eye on all batteries every half hour, otherwise set an alarm based on time less than the estimated full charge time. I'm finding that the recharge rates vary and the battery charger light is not an accurate indication of the full charge or charging status. It seems these batteries reach a full charge and if not removed, will become warm to the touch. They will also give off a significant battery chemical odor, more noticeable when the charger lid is slid open. If any of these conditions happen, immediately remove the batteries because they're usually fully charged! I've tested three brands, metering each brand at various stages, both under load and not, and at various charging times.

humanoido
Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by isobot » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:34 am

Post by isobot
Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:34 am

all great info!!! be sure to post this on the you know who site ok... hope to see you back humanoido
all great info!!! be sure to post this on the you know who site ok... hope to see you back humanoido
isobot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Humanoido » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:12 am

Post by Humanoido
Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:12 am

It's posted, and I'm there, always looking for new material about i-SOBOT. How about creating a list of i-SOBOT links, and blogs, that can add new information to our data base?
:)

humanoido
It's posted, and I'm there, always looking for new material about i-SOBOT. How about creating a list of i-SOBOT links, and blogs, that can add new information to our data base?
:)

humanoido
Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by isobot » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:06 pm

Post by isobot
Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:06 pm

thanks... will look into that... I see you found that review I posted on our site!!! really god one I must say...
thanks... will look into that... I see you found that review I posted on our site!!! really god one I must say...
isobot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Re: Battery Charging

Post by ebill » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:03 am

Post by ebill
Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:03 am

Humanoido wrote:When charging batteries, remember to keep an eye on all batteries every half hour, otherwise set an alarm based on time less than the estimated full charge time. I'm finding that the recharge rates vary and the battery charger light is not an accurate indication of the full charge or charging status. It seems these batteries reach a full charge and if not removed, will become warm to the touch. They will also give off a significant battery chemical odor, more noticeable when the charger lid is slid open. If any of these conditions happen, immediately remove the batteries because they're usually fully charged! I've tested three brands, metering each brand at various stages, both under load and not, and at various charging times.
The eneloop charger supplied with the i-sobot is really quite gentle - 150 mA for the 800 mAh AAA cells. A fully charged NiMh cell warm to the touch is very normal, and there is no damage to the cells. A cell too hot to handle is a problem, but my experience with the supplied charger is that it doesn't happen. I have used after market chargers with higher charge rates without excessive heat.

Battery odor? All I can detect is the odor of warm plastic of the charger. Wonder what the significant battery chemical odor is?

Bill
Humanoido wrote:When charging batteries, remember to keep an eye on all batteries every half hour, otherwise set an alarm based on time less than the estimated full charge time. I'm finding that the recharge rates vary and the battery charger light is not an accurate indication of the full charge or charging status. It seems these batteries reach a full charge and if not removed, will become warm to the touch. They will also give off a significant battery chemical odor, more noticeable when the charger lid is slid open. If any of these conditions happen, immediately remove the batteries because they're usually fully charged! I've tested three brands, metering each brand at various stages, both under load and not, and at various charging times.
The eneloop charger supplied with the i-sobot is really quite gentle - 150 mA for the 800 mAh AAA cells. A fully charged NiMh cell warm to the touch is very normal, and there is no damage to the cells. A cell too hot to handle is a problem, but my experience with the supplied charger is that it doesn't happen. I have used after market chargers with higher charge rates without excessive heat.

Battery odor? All I can detect is the odor of warm plastic of the charger. Wonder what the significant battery chemical odor is?

Bill
ebill offline

Post by Humanoido » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:30 pm

Post by Humanoido
Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:30 pm

The batteries became only warm to the touch, not too hot to handle. The batteries have a certain odor when they become warm. It's definitely not from the charger plastic. I removed the batteries and confirmed these were the source. I don't how to identify the chemical agent but will ask a friend in molecular chemistry the next time we talk. He's also studying fuel cells and I think he has one built and working. If there's any new development, it will be reported here. Thanks.

humanoido
The batteries became only warm to the touch, not too hot to handle. The batteries have a certain odor when they become warm. It's definitely not from the charger plastic. I removed the batteries and confirmed these were the source. I don't how to identify the chemical agent but will ask a friend in molecular chemistry the next time we talk. He's also studying fuel cells and I think he has one built and working. If there's any new development, it will be reported here. Thanks.

humanoido
Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1