Reviews

Takara Tomy's i-SOBOT is the first humanoid "toy" launched at end of 2007. This forum is dedicated to hacking the i-SOBOT.
6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1

Reviews

Post by Humanoido » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:34 am

Post by Humanoido
Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:34 am

Fantastic i-SOBOT reviews are pouring in. This personal review at the Roomba site is amazing, and illustrated with many great photos.

http://www.roombareview.com/chat/viewtopic.php?t=7799&start=0

Use this thread to post a favorite review.

humanoido
Fantastic i-SOBOT reviews are pouring in. This personal review at the Roomba site is amazing, and illustrated with many great photos.

http://www.roombareview.com/chat/viewtopic.php?t=7799&start=0

Use this thread to post a favorite review.

humanoido
Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by isobot » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:09 pm

Post by isobot
Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:09 pm

I have the EXACT review posted in all my link at our other site!!!:) excellent review!!! check all the others out guys!!!
I have the EXACT review posted in all my link at our other site!!!:) excellent review!!! check all the others out guys!!!
isobot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Humanoido » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:38 pm

Post by Humanoido
Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:38 pm

I've seen a lot of professional sites, each selling i-SOBOT, and those reviews are almost exactly the same. When a personal one like this comes along, it's very useful and interesting! The photos are great too. I hope we can find more like it, or make our own. :) You did a good job in starting to list these reviews. I'm sure more are coming along every week. I've heard the little bot is soooooo popular and selling well. It would also be helpful to link useful and informative blogging.

humanoido
I've seen a lot of professional sites, each selling i-SOBOT, and those reviews are almost exactly the same. When a personal one like this comes along, it's very useful and interesting! The photos are great too. I hope we can find more like it, or make our own. :) You did a good job in starting to list these reviews. I'm sure more are coming along every week. I've heard the little bot is soooooo popular and selling well. It would also be helpful to link useful and informative blogging.

humanoido
Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Humanoido » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:42 am

Post by Humanoido
Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:42 am

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/28/takara-tomys-i-sobot-gets-reviewed-videoed/

Greg @ Sep 28th 2007 4:15PM
Why do we call these things robots? They are nothing more than radio controlled toys that happen to walk instead of roll. They don't do anything on their own, have no intelligence or even run a program. A good robot is something that fetches me a cold beer when I come home, charges itself when needed, and checks out that weird noise I heard during the night, reporting back to me what it was.

This review raises an interesting point. To what degree of autonomy is required to make our robots more robot? Are there special functions required, such as fetching a beer, doing dishes, taking a security role, and doing self maintenance?

humanoido
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/28/takara-tomys-i-sobot-gets-reviewed-videoed/

Greg @ Sep 28th 2007 4:15PM
Why do we call these things robots? They are nothing more than radio controlled toys that happen to walk instead of roll. They don't do anything on their own, have no intelligence or even run a program. A good robot is something that fetches me a cold beer when I come home, charges itself when needed, and checks out that weird noise I heard during the night, reporting back to me what it was.

This review raises an interesting point. To what degree of autonomy is required to make our robots more robot? Are there special functions required, such as fetching a beer, doing dishes, taking a security role, and doing self maintenance?

humanoido
Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Humanoido » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:51 am

Post by Humanoido
Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:51 am

Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by tom_chang79 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:02 pm

Post by tom_chang79
Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:02 pm

Humanoido wrote:This review raises an interesting point. To what degree of autonomy is required to make our robots more robot? Are there special functions required, such as fetching a beer, doing dishes, taking a security role, and doing self maintenance?

humanoido

It really depends. There are two different crowds regarding this. I'm in the autonomous camp, so I believe my robot should be loaded with telemetry sensors with decision making process, with walking/exploring in between the decision making and the sensing.

Then there's the other camp that likes it to be radio (or sometimes infra-red in the case of i-sobots) controlled. Both are just as valid, as there are RC Cars and Rovers (which are usually a mechanically crude form of an RC car with autonomous functions).

I think both forms of "robots" are valid. What makes a robot a robot is definition and definition only IMO. I consider some humans "robotic" sometimes :wink:

My definition of a robot is any mechanical device that aids humans, either physically or emotionally (or economically for some business owners such as Netflix or Toyota).

:D
Humanoido wrote:This review raises an interesting point. To what degree of autonomy is required to make our robots more robot? Are there special functions required, such as fetching a beer, doing dishes, taking a security role, and doing self maintenance?

humanoido

It really depends. There are two different crowds regarding this. I'm in the autonomous camp, so I believe my robot should be loaded with telemetry sensors with decision making process, with walking/exploring in between the decision making and the sensing.

Then there's the other camp that likes it to be radio (or sometimes infra-red in the case of i-sobots) controlled. Both are just as valid, as there are RC Cars and Rovers (which are usually a mechanically crude form of an RC car with autonomous functions).

I think both forms of "robots" are valid. What makes a robot a robot is definition and definition only IMO. I consider some humans "robotic" sometimes :wink:

My definition of a robot is any mechanical device that aids humans, either physically or emotionally (or economically for some business owners such as Netflix or Toyota).

:D
tom_chang79 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1