Unstable i-sobot

Takara Tomy's i-SOBOT is the first humanoid "toy" launched at end of 2007. This forum is dedicated to hacking the i-SOBOT.
3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1

Unstable i-sobot

Post by bratwurst » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:13 am

Post by bratwurst
Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:13 am

This is my 2nd i-sobot, the first was so misaligned that it kept falling over. I fixed that, but it would only ocassionaly respond to the remote -- due to that getting it into zero-position was a pain. I called support and they tried to help, but no-go and told me to return it and they sent me a new one.

This one's a ton better, does everything correctly, except it tends to fall on it's face from time-to time. It's out of alignment. I was able to align the first one, but since I only had it a couple days, a month back, and I didn't have this problem.

Here's my problem: For the life of me I can align it, none of the screws in the entire unit can be turned or removed! Or maybe the problem's in my brain, who knows? :wink: I'm a fairly strong guy, and I'm worried if I overdue it I'll strip out the screw heads. I was able to align the first one, but since I only had it a couple days, a month back, and I didn't have much of a problem although I admit I forgot just HOW I did it, although I seem to recall it took a bit of work to loosen the screws. Or again, maybe I'm just being a dope.

Anybody else have this problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh, and hello! This is my first visit here, seems like a great forum.

Brats
This is my 2nd i-sobot, the first was so misaligned that it kept falling over. I fixed that, but it would only ocassionaly respond to the remote -- due to that getting it into zero-position was a pain. I called support and they tried to help, but no-go and told me to return it and they sent me a new one.

This one's a ton better, does everything correctly, except it tends to fall on it's face from time-to time. It's out of alignment. I was able to align the first one, but since I only had it a couple days, a month back, and I didn't have this problem.

Here's my problem: For the life of me I can align it, none of the screws in the entire unit can be turned or removed! Or maybe the problem's in my brain, who knows? :wink: I'm a fairly strong guy, and I'm worried if I overdue it I'll strip out the screw heads. I was able to align the first one, but since I only had it a couple days, a month back, and I didn't have much of a problem although I admit I forgot just HOW I did it, although I seem to recall it took a bit of work to loosen the screws. Or again, maybe I'm just being a dope.

Anybody else have this problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh, and hello! This is my first visit here, seems like a great forum.

Brats
bratwurst offline

Post by Humanoido » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:59 pm

Post by Humanoido
Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:59 pm

The problem is not caused by you but rather the alignment wrench. If you read some of the posts, you will find higher quality wrenches recommended. Once you get a high quality wrench set, you can feel the difference and the tool will lock into the hardware more effectively allowing you to turn and loosen the bolts for alignment. It's very important to use a higher quality tool because cheaper ones will just strip out the bolts. Indeed, some of the bolts are in tight - but they "pop" release when turned with a good locking tool.

humanoido
The problem is not caused by you but rather the alignment wrench. If you read some of the posts, you will find higher quality wrenches recommended. Once you get a high quality wrench set, you can feel the difference and the tool will lock into the hardware more effectively allowing you to turn and loosen the bolts for alignment. It's very important to use a higher quality tool because cheaper ones will just strip out the bolts. Indeed, some of the bolts are in tight - but they "pop" release when turned with a good locking tool.

humanoido
Humanoido offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by tom_chang79 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Post by tom_chang79
Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:58 pm

I've mentioned it from time to time on various threads about quality wrenches.

I've experience this for over 10 years using the L-Wrenches until finally, I saw the light.

The L-Wrenches are usually ok as a temporary or one-time use kinda of a thing, but it is a cyclic problem once it starts to wear.

The tip of the wrench wears, which in turns wears out the bolt head (being loose), which in turn wears out the tip of the wrench and so on.

There are MANY quality wrenches that you can buy from RC Hobby stores. The one that I highly recommend (and use myself) are the MIP Thorp series of wrenches... I've used and abused the crap out of the tips and it shows little to no sign of wear.

Plus I'm experiencing little to no strippage of the bolt heads since I started using these hardened tip wrenches.

Good luck!
I've mentioned it from time to time on various threads about quality wrenches.

I've experience this for over 10 years using the L-Wrenches until finally, I saw the light.

The L-Wrenches are usually ok as a temporary or one-time use kinda of a thing, but it is a cyclic problem once it starts to wear.

The tip of the wrench wears, which in turns wears out the bolt head (being loose), which in turn wears out the tip of the wrench and so on.

There are MANY quality wrenches that you can buy from RC Hobby stores. The one that I highly recommend (and use myself) are the MIP Thorp series of wrenches... I've used and abused the crap out of the tips and it shows little to no sign of wear.

Plus I'm experiencing little to no strippage of the bolt heads since I started using these hardened tip wrenches.

Good luck!
tom_chang79 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1