Running i-sobot on Nokia BL-5C battery

Takara Tomy's i-SOBOT is the first humanoid "toy" launched at end of 2007. This forum is dedicated to hacking the i-SOBOT.
5 postsPage 1 of 1
5 postsPage 1 of 1

Running i-sobot on Nokia BL-5C battery

Post by greenchilli » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:16 am

Post by greenchilli
Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:16 am

I am toying with the idea of running i-sobot on a generic Nokia BL-5C Li-ion battery. The rating of the battery is 3.7V 850 mAh.

Voltage wise, it should be close enough to the 3xEneloop battery.

Although I am seasoned with servos and microcontrollers, I am still relatively new to battery technologies.

Can anyone tell me if the above will work?
I am toying with the idea of running i-sobot on a generic Nokia BL-5C Li-ion battery. The rating of the battery is 3.7V 850 mAh.

Voltage wise, it should be close enough to the 3xEneloop battery.

Although I am seasoned with servos and microcontrollers, I am still relatively new to battery technologies.

Can anyone tell me if the above will work?
greenchilli offline

Post by Sonic » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Post by Sonic
Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:38 pm

important supplemental battery informatoin for i-sobot

For best performance with the i-SOBOT robot, use the SANYO Eneloop
batteries included.

DO NOT use alkaline, zinc-carbon (heavy duty) or high voltage (such as 1.7V Oxyride) batteries
in the i-SOBOT robot. (Alkaline batteries may be used in the remote control unit.)

The robot unit will not function properly with alkaline, zinc-carbon or high voltage batteries and in some cases these batteries may damage some components.

If an additional set of batteries is needed for the i-SOBOT robot, TOMY recommends purchasing SANYO Eneloop AAA batteries or batteries with the following specifications:

NiMH 1.2V AAA (HR03) Rechargeable Batteries

For details about eneloop batteries, please visit http://www.eneloopusa.com.

Note: Follow the full battery use and safety instructions in the i-SOBOT Instruction Manual and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for rechargeable batteries
important supplemental battery informatoin for i-sobot

For best performance with the i-SOBOT robot, use the SANYO Eneloop
batteries included.

DO NOT use alkaline, zinc-carbon (heavy duty) or high voltage (such as 1.7V Oxyride) batteries
in the i-SOBOT robot. (Alkaline batteries may be used in the remote control unit.)

The robot unit will not function properly with alkaline, zinc-carbon or high voltage batteries and in some cases these batteries may damage some components.

If an additional set of batteries is needed for the i-SOBOT robot, TOMY recommends purchasing SANYO Eneloop AAA batteries or batteries with the following specifications:

NiMH 1.2V AAA (HR03) Rechargeable Batteries

For details about eneloop batteries, please visit http://www.eneloopusa.com.

Note: Follow the full battery use and safety instructions in the i-SOBOT Instruction Manual and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for rechargeable batteries
Always Remember He's alive
Sonic offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by StuartL » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:37 am

Post by StuartL
Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:37 am

Not a good idea without risking the iSOBOT.

Although the 'typical' voltage for a single LiPo or LiIon cell is 3.7v they will be 4.2v fully charged and between 3 and 3.2 fully discharged. This is below the 4.5v typical for three new primary/alkaline AAAs but WAY above the voltage for three secondary/rechargeable cells at 3.6v.

The LiPo/LiIon also has a major issue in that if you over discharge them they catch fire. The iSOBOT won't have any protection circuitry to prevent this so unless you have a mechanism to turn the iSOBOT off when the voltage drops below a threshold you could cause some serious damage.
Not a good idea without risking the iSOBOT.

Although the 'typical' voltage for a single LiPo or LiIon cell is 3.7v they will be 4.2v fully charged and between 3 and 3.2 fully discharged. This is below the 4.5v typical for three new primary/alkaline AAAs but WAY above the voltage for three secondary/rechargeable cells at 3.6v.

The LiPo/LiIon also has a major issue in that if you over discharge them they catch fire. The iSOBOT won't have any protection circuitry to prevent this so unless you have a mechanism to turn the iSOBOT off when the voltage drops below a threshold you could cause some serious damage.
StuartL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by thomson78 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:56 pm

Post by thomson78
Tue May 11, 2010 2:56 pm

nice ...
nice ...
Last edited by thomson78 on Fri May 28, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
thomson78 offline

Post by i-Bot » Tue May 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Post by i-Bot
Tue May 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Let's be more specific.

This is SPAM and more SPAM created on behalf of fones.com.
www.fones.com SPAM !
www fones.com SPAM ! Warning !

The objective of these spammers is not to steal your bandwidth, but your cash. Suggest to avoid !

Will delete this thread, when advertised through RSS. as spam . admin.
Let's be more specific.

This is SPAM and more SPAM created on behalf of fones.com.
www.fones.com SPAM !
www fones.com SPAM ! Warning !

The objective of these spammers is not to steal your bandwidth, but your cash. Suggest to avoid !

Will delete this thread, when advertised through RSS. as spam . admin.
i-Bot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

5 postsPage 1 of 1
5 postsPage 1 of 1