QUIET PLEASE SURGERY IN PROGRESS

Takara Tomy's i-SOBOT is the first humanoid "toy" launched at end of 2007. This forum is dedicated to hacking the i-SOBOT.
8 postsPage 1 of 1
8 postsPage 1 of 1

QUIET PLEASE SURGERY IN PROGRESS

Post by Sonic » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:33 pm

Post by Sonic
Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:33 pm

I have dismantled the lower leg and as replacement servos seems to be hard to get hold of, too expensive to purchase a broken robot for spares. so i have decided to remove the lower arm servo to replace the broken servo in the leg. i was quite surprised to find that these servos are identical.

the main obstacle that i can see is reattaching the four small wires. my first thoughts are to solder these which i am not bad at doing. just a little bit concerned with the small size of the wires.

if anybody has any suggestions maybe a glue that will work or some other way to connect the wires.

i will have a word at work, in the workshop, not sure if they will be able to help as they are used to fixing buses! :shock:

will keep you updated with progress if no other suggestions are forthcoming.

please ignor my signature at bottom of post for the minute :lol:
I have dismantled the lower leg and as replacement servos seems to be hard to get hold of, too expensive to purchase a broken robot for spares. so i have decided to remove the lower arm servo to replace the broken servo in the leg. i was quite surprised to find that these servos are identical.

the main obstacle that i can see is reattaching the four small wires. my first thoughts are to solder these which i am not bad at doing. just a little bit concerned with the small size of the wires.

if anybody has any suggestions maybe a glue that will work or some other way to connect the wires.

i will have a word at work, in the workshop, not sure if they will be able to help as they are used to fixing buses! :shock:

will keep you updated with progress if no other suggestions are forthcoming.

please ignor my signature at bottom of post for the minute :lol:
Always Remember He's alive
Sonic offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by prallplatte » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:43 pm

Post by prallplatte
Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:43 pm

Poor I-Sobot. I hope he will be soon on his legs.
Cant you solder it?

btw: did you award him the Purple Heart ? :?
Poor I-Sobot. I hope he will be soon on his legs.
Cant you solder it?

btw: did you award him the Purple Heart ? :?
prallplatte offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by i-Bot » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Post by i-Bot
Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:21 pm

I can confirm that Isobot fell in action, in the noblest of causes whilst entertaining many children !

For the recovery, is it not possible to open the servo and transfer the gears ? I am wondering if each servo has an address.

I have very small soldering equipment, microscopes, even wire bonder if necessary !

Silver epoxy may work, but tends to be even more messy than solder, and expensive !
I can confirm that Isobot fell in action, in the noblest of causes whilst entertaining many children !

For the recovery, is it not possible to open the servo and transfer the gears ? I am wondering if each servo has an address.

I have very small soldering equipment, microscopes, even wire bonder if necessary !

Silver epoxy may work, but tends to be even more messy than solder, and expensive !
i-Bot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Sonic » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:15 am

Post by Sonic
Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:15 am

"i-Bot"
Is it not possible to open the servo and transfer the gears ?

Yes it is i was thinking it was a sealed unit

Two small pins

"i-Bot"
Is it not possible to open the servo and transfer the gears ?

Yes it is i was thinking it was a sealed unit

Two small pins

Sonic offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Sonic » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:52 am

Post by Sonic
Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:52 am

surgery is finished, he is all back in one piece. it was the very small plastic gear at the base of the metal gears that had failed. i did wonder why all metal and only one plastic.

i did consider changing gears over however i was under the illusion that they were completely sealed units, but this is not the case as there is two small pins that hold the servo together. one gains access to the gears and one gains access to the motor and electronics.

he can still do 95% of moves, he cant get up on his own and do head stands, but i am quite pleased with the results and maybe this post will help anyone else who comes across this problem.
surgery is finished, he is all back in one piece. it was the very small plastic gear at the base of the metal gears that had failed. i did wonder why all metal and only one plastic.

i did consider changing gears over however i was under the illusion that they were completely sealed units, but this is not the case as there is two small pins that hold the servo together. one gains access to the gears and one gains access to the motor and electronics.

he can still do 95% of moves, he cant get up on his own and do head stands, but i am quite pleased with the results and maybe this post will help anyone else who comes across this problem.
Sonic offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Brickbob » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:30 am

Post by Brickbob
Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:30 am

Glad to hear you success with the surgery. How do you manage to pull out the pin?

As for my Isobot I am going to hack it using BS2 or Propeller.

O have start a thread in Parallax forum under Robotic.

Sorry cant offer you good price cause i got it at very high price here in my country.
Glad to hear you success with the surgery. How do you manage to pull out the pin?

As for my Isobot I am going to hack it using BS2 or Propeller.

O have start a thread in Parallax forum under Robotic.

Sorry cant offer you good price cause i got it at very high price here in my country.
Brickbob offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by Sonic » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:04 pm

Post by Sonic
Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:04 pm

Brickbob wrote: How do you manage to pull out the pin?

i took a sharp knief and just lifted the pins out, but one thing i did do with the arm servo while doing this was i ripped a couple of wires out, please be careful.

was not too much of a problem as i was not going to reuse the servo.
Brickbob wrote: How do you manage to pull out the pin?

i took a sharp knief and just lifted the pins out, but one thing i did do with the arm servo while doing this was i ripped a couple of wires out, please be careful.

was not too much of a problem as i was not going to reuse the servo.
Sonic offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

I-SOBOT bad servo, nice recuperation

Post by Fullmetal » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:41 am

Post by Fullmetal
Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:41 am

:D Hello am writing to thank you.

I found and bought (yes yes) an I-SOBOT 2007, Monday of this week, and I am very happy with the robot, but at night :shock: I put the batteries charged and my surprise one of the servo does not work (in the leg right in the center) and search on google and youtube for any track, and nothing but luckily your project has pictures of the servo unarmed, and with operating procedures, disassemble the package and remove the gears, but the test was still not working I realized that the lubrication in the engine was not good and lubricate and operate manually until smooth working, reassemble it and it's working perfectly, without the help of your experience you shared in this forum, I had not accomplished, again thank you very much.
:D Hello am writing to thank you.

I found and bought (yes yes) an I-SOBOT 2007, Monday of this week, and I am very happy with the robot, but at night :shock: I put the batteries charged and my surprise one of the servo does not work (in the leg right in the center) and search on google and youtube for any track, and nothing but luckily your project has pictures of the servo unarmed, and with operating procedures, disassemble the package and remove the gears, but the test was still not working I realized that the lubrication in the engine was not good and lubricate and operate manually until smooth working, reassemble it and it's working perfectly, without the help of your experience you shared in this forum, I had not accomplished, again thank you very much.
Fullmetal offline

8 postsPage 1 of 1
8 postsPage 1 of 1