silly question.. maybe..

Takara Tomy's i-SOBOT is the first humanoid "toy" launched at end of 2007. This forum is dedicated to hacking the i-SOBOT.
3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1

silly question.. maybe..

Post by irocjr » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:56 am

Post by irocjr
Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:56 am

ok, fist i just wanna say hello to everyone. i just got my I-sobot today and am still waiting for the batteries to charge up.

i have been doing alot of reading(research?) online about this neat little bot, and even though i'm a bit of a novice in robotics. i was wondering if anyone has figuired out how to re-activate the mercury switch on him? i read somewhere that it was originaly designed to make him stand up automaticly if he fell over. but was deactivated on the production model. but why would they leave it on there?

the past couple of nights ive been coming up with idea's for him but i'm not sure i have the skills to pull it off. i saw a site where a guy put a piggyback board with an IR LED to control the bot almost autonamosly. and he put a IR sensor on the head to create a type of obstacle avoidance. when he walked to close to an obeject he would turn and walk twards the furthest object.

now using this same type of setup could you use 2 bots and create a type of cat and mouse. one bot would have an IR led to transmit and the other would "search" for the signal and walk towards it. the first bot, who is being chased could have a photo sensor to seek out a dark area, that was when the "hunting" bot found him with his search light on it could trigger the first to seek out another "hiding place" kind of like the cybug with the predator and prey module.

this would utilise the preprogramed movements in the bot. and just use the IR led to tell his onboard IR reciever. sorry for the rambling. i'm just thinking out loud and i'm excited about my (hopefully) new found hobby. thanks for listening and hopefully some good input.

-JR
ok, fist i just wanna say hello to everyone. i just got my I-sobot today and am still waiting for the batteries to charge up.

i have been doing alot of reading(research?) online about this neat little bot, and even though i'm a bit of a novice in robotics. i was wondering if anyone has figuired out how to re-activate the mercury switch on him? i read somewhere that it was originaly designed to make him stand up automaticly if he fell over. but was deactivated on the production model. but why would they leave it on there?

the past couple of nights ive been coming up with idea's for him but i'm not sure i have the skills to pull it off. i saw a site where a guy put a piggyback board with an IR LED to control the bot almost autonamosly. and he put a IR sensor on the head to create a type of obstacle avoidance. when he walked to close to an obeject he would turn and walk twards the furthest object.

now using this same type of setup could you use 2 bots and create a type of cat and mouse. one bot would have an IR led to transmit and the other would "search" for the signal and walk towards it. the first bot, who is being chased could have a photo sensor to seek out a dark area, that was when the "hunting" bot found him with his search light on it could trigger the first to seek out another "hiding place" kind of like the cybug with the predator and prey module.

this would utilise the preprogramed movements in the bot. and just use the IR led to tell his onboard IR reciever. sorry for the rambling. i'm just thinking out loud and i'm excited about my (hopefully) new found hobby. thanks for listening and hopefully some good input.

-JR
irocjr offline

Post by Brickbob » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:43 am

Post by Brickbob
Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:43 am

Hi irocjr,
What you are thinking is possible but before that my advise is for you to start learning about micro controller. It will involve a lot of thing before you got your bot start doing what you want.

You can start with any uC in the market but for good support you can look at Basic Stamp 2 from Parallax.
Hi irocjr,
What you are thinking is possible but before that my advise is for you to start learning about micro controller. It will involve a lot of thing before you got your bot start doing what you want.

You can start with any uC in the market but for good support you can look at Basic Stamp 2 from Parallax.
Brickbob offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by irocjr » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:50 am

Post by irocjr
Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:50 am

what do you think or the arduino series? i have been reading up on it and the language seems to closely resemble BASIC and C+ that i studied when i was in school. it has been a few years since i have used it. and when i did it was software programming, not hardware so it might take a bit of time to get used to.
what do you think or the arduino series? i have been reading up on it and the language seems to closely resemble BASIC and C+ that i studied when i was in school. it has been a few years since i have used it. and when i did it was software programming, not hardware so it might take a bit of time to get used to.
irocjr offline

3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1