Is the Robophilo really worth it

From RoboBrothers.com (Livermore, CA) came the first sub US$400 humanoid robot kit to appear late 2007
11 postsPage 1 of 1
11 postsPage 1 of 1

Would you buy the Robophilo now or save up for the KONDO KHR-2HV

Save up for KONDO KHR-2HV
47%
Buy Robophilo Now
53%

Total votes : 15

Is the Robophilo really worth it

Post by Kilroym42 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:29 pm

Post by Kilroym42
Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:29 pm

If I buy a Robophilo for $399 will I be left Wishing I spent the $600 more on a KONDO KHR-2HV or another Robot? What do you lose when you buy the Robophilo?
If I buy a Robophilo for $399 will I be left Wishing I spent the $600 more on a KONDO KHR-2HV or another Robot? What do you lose when you buy the Robophilo?
Kilroym42 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Robo1 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm

Post by Robo1
Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm

Hard to say as now one owns one yet.

But there is the old saying "you get what you pay for". But looking at it another way, RN1 has been out 2 years so the technology is very old so if all there done is cloned it and made some small changes then it shouldn't be that bad. But until some one buys one you just don't know the build quality and what the servos are like. For my fifty cent I think that the servos will be bad and break! if not then it will be a good little toy.

Bren
Hard to say as now one owns one yet.

But there is the old saying "you get what you pay for". But looking at it another way, RN1 has been out 2 years so the technology is very old so if all there done is cloned it and made some small changes then it shouldn't be that bad. But until some one buys one you just don't know the build quality and what the servos are like. For my fifty cent I think that the servos will be bad and break! if not then it will be a good little toy.

Bren
Robo1 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by lampcov » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:53 pm

Post by lampcov
Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:53 pm

I think that what the RobotBrothers have done is to bring hobby robotics to a whole new audience. The robot is well thought out, and works respectably. That said, I don't think it's fair (to the RoboPhilo) to compare it to a RN-1 or a KHR. There is a reason that the Philo costs $500 (assembled), it comes down to strength of servos, plastic construction, etc. I've not see it walk in any of the demos or at iHobby, and this leaves me wondering why? I'd guess the motions just need more work, we all know how hard walking well really is.

Will you wish you got a KHR? I don't know for sure, but if you're a bit more "hardcore" or are looking for a ROBUST platform, i think you might. If you like the iSobot but want a real robot get into the hobby with, something that can grow with you for awhile, I think you'll be happy with the RoboPhilo.

Just remember..."it is what it is", and that's not a bad thing. If I were looking for the advanced options that the Speecy's offers and was drawn to the Manoi because it's half the price I'd end up disappointed with the Manoi. Not because it isn't a killer robot, it just isn't aimed at the same audience/feature set.

Marc

PS- Lem will probably be posting my RoboPhilo videos soon over on Robots-Dreams so keep your eyes open. If not, PM me and I'll get the somewhere you can see them.
I think that what the RobotBrothers have done is to bring hobby robotics to a whole new audience. The robot is well thought out, and works respectably. That said, I don't think it's fair (to the RoboPhilo) to compare it to a RN-1 or a KHR. There is a reason that the Philo costs $500 (assembled), it comes down to strength of servos, plastic construction, etc. I've not see it walk in any of the demos or at iHobby, and this leaves me wondering why? I'd guess the motions just need more work, we all know how hard walking well really is.

Will you wish you got a KHR? I don't know for sure, but if you're a bit more "hardcore" or are looking for a ROBUST platform, i think you might. If you like the iSobot but want a real robot get into the hobby with, something that can grow with you for awhile, I think you'll be happy with the RoboPhilo.

Just remember..."it is what it is", and that's not a bad thing. If I were looking for the advanced options that the Speecy's offers and was drawn to the Manoi because it's half the price I'd end up disappointed with the Manoi. Not because it isn't a killer robot, it just isn't aimed at the same audience/feature set.

Marc

PS- Lem will probably be posting my RoboPhilo videos soon over on Robots-Dreams so keep your eyes open. If not, PM me and I'll get the somewhere you can see them.
lampcov offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Re: Is the Robophilo really worth it

Post by wintermute » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:55 am

Post by wintermute
Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:55 am

I've pretty much decided to buy one, mostly due to the features/price ratio. At $400 or so for the kit, it's a lot of bang for the buck, no matter how you look at it. Personally, I'd like a Manoi, but I'm not yet ready to pony up what one costs. Maybe I'll end up getting one later. In the meantime, I can get my feet wet with a RoboPhilo without feeling like I'm buried in it.
I've pretty much decided to buy one, mostly due to the features/price ratio. At $400 or so for the kit, it's a lot of bang for the buck, no matter how you look at it. Personally, I'd like a Manoi, but I'm not yet ready to pony up what one costs. Maybe I'll end up getting one later. In the meantime, I can get my feet wet with a RoboPhilo without feeling like I'm buried in it.
Last edited by wintermute on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
wintermute offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Gort » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:11 am

Post by Gort
Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:11 am

I saw the RoboPhilo in person. I think that it is a good entry level robot with room to expand. You can not beat the cost too!
I saw the RoboPhilo in person. I think that it is a good entry level robot with room to expand. You can not beat the cost too!
Gort offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

RoboPhilo

Post by Kilroym42 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:24 am

Post by Kilroym42
Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:24 am

thanks for the info.
I guess I'm just worried that I'll end up with more toy that robot.
thanks for the info.
I guess I'm just worried that I'll end up with more toy that robot.
Kilroym42 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Droid Works » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:38 pm

Post by Droid Works
Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:38 pm

I already have a 1HV but I would buy a robophilo and plan to bu one soon as they are available.
I already have a 1HV but I would buy a robophilo and plan to bu one soon as they are available.
Droid Works offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Joe » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:45 am

Post by Joe
Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:45 am

This looks like a really great kit. FYI, they're accepting pre-orders here. (Though not offering any price discount for ordering in advance, so I'm not quite sure why you would do that.)

I may actually get this thing. Maybe. Must... resist... urge...
This looks like a really great kit. FYI, they're accepting pre-orders here. (Though not offering any price discount for ordering in advance, so I'm not quite sure why you would do that.)

I may actually get this thing. Maybe. Must... resist... urge...
Joe offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by jaybirdtke » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Post by jaybirdtke
Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:03 pm

I have assembled and been using the RoboPhilo for about a week. This being my first biped, I am absolutely pleased. I find the software easy to use once you familiarize yourself with it. The included IR remote, stand, and 20 D.O.F. are awesome. I think anyone would be happy with this bot. If it's your first bot, you will be able to gauge whether or not you want to invest more money into the hobby. About a year ago I was considering the bioloid because of its unique actuators and sensors but was unable to commit to the $1,000 price tag. After Robo-One this year I was again interested in experiencing this hobby and was considering the KHR-2HV or 1HV, but again the cost was high. I knew that I would have to invest in a remote/stand for the previous bots on top of the cost of the kit. The RoboPhilo cured all of my concerns. I believe RoboPhilo is going to launch this hobby with a surge never seen before. We are seeing robots like the Robosapian and i-sobot becoming very popular with teens and adults alike. Today 01/06/08 on the Amazing Race they are going to be using humanoid robots (according to the episode trailer). I believe that with more and more people being exposed to humanoid robots the RoboPhilo is going to explode in popularity over the next year.
I have assembled and been using the RoboPhilo for about a week. This being my first biped, I am absolutely pleased. I find the software easy to use once you familiarize yourself with it. The included IR remote, stand, and 20 D.O.F. are awesome. I think anyone would be happy with this bot. If it's your first bot, you will be able to gauge whether or not you want to invest more money into the hobby. About a year ago I was considering the bioloid because of its unique actuators and sensors but was unable to commit to the $1,000 price tag. After Robo-One this year I was again interested in experiencing this hobby and was considering the KHR-2HV or 1HV, but again the cost was high. I knew that I would have to invest in a remote/stand for the previous bots on top of the cost of the kit. The RoboPhilo cured all of my concerns. I believe RoboPhilo is going to launch this hobby with a surge never seen before. We are seeing robots like the Robosapian and i-sobot becoming very popular with teens and adults alike. Today 01/06/08 on the Amazing Race they are going to be using humanoid robots (according to the episode trailer). I believe that with more and more people being exposed to humanoid robots the RoboPhilo is going to explode in popularity over the next year.
jaybirdtke offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by tom_chang79 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:00 pm

Post by tom_chang79
Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:00 pm

hey jaybirdtke, how do you feel about the servo brackets of the robophilo? Do they seem pretty reliable? Plastic servo brackets makes me a little nervous if one were to use a powerful servo such as a hitec 5990tg. Also, does anyone sell robophilos without the servos so you can use powerful servos up front rather then replacing weak ones you will never use?
hey jaybirdtke, how do you feel about the servo brackets of the robophilo? Do they seem pretty reliable? Plastic servo brackets makes me a little nervous if one were to use a powerful servo such as a hitec 5990tg. Also, does anyone sell robophilos without the servos so you can use powerful servos up front rather then replacing weak ones you will never use?
tom_chang79 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by jaybirdtke » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:39 pm

Post by jaybirdtke
Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:39 pm

I think the plastic brackets will be fine for recreational use with higher torque servos. As for the RoboPhilo without servos, I would contact robobrothers, they already have a lot of the parts available for sale on their website. I had requested a particular part that was not yet on the site and they updated the site in a short time with my requested part. I must say that the GUI software is very easy to use and from what I've read about other biped software it is one of the most, if not the most user friendly interface.
I think the plastic brackets will be fine for recreational use with higher torque servos. As for the RoboPhilo without servos, I would contact robobrothers, they already have a lot of the parts available for sale on their website. I had requested a particular part that was not yet on the site and they updated the site in a short time with my requested part. I must say that the GUI software is very easy to use and from what I've read about other biped software it is one of the most, if not the most user friendly interface.
jaybirdtke offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

11 postsPage 1 of 1
11 postsPage 1 of 1