robophilo

From RoboBrothers.com (Livermore, CA) came the first sub US$400 humanoid robot kit to appear late 2007
205 postsPage 1 of 141, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14
205 postsPage 1 of 141, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14

robophilo

Post by rebuildit » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:40 am

Post by rebuildit
Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:40 am

Anyone see this walk?
Anyone think a new controller would be the trick making this walk/move better?
Anyone see this walk?
Anyone think a new controller would be the trick making this walk/move better?
rebuildit offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by jaybirdtke » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:22 am

Post by jaybirdtke
Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:22 am

I am also very interested in this robot. I don't think the controller would be as much of an issue as the programmed sequence of movements. I'm sure a gyro would help. I've seen several videos with the robophilo taking a few baby steps but I have not seen a good one of it walking yet. Has anyone ordered this robot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaJXlTu- ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FttbzP-FOFs&NR=1
I am also very interested in this robot. I don't think the controller would be as much of an issue as the programmed sequence of movements. I'm sure a gyro would help. I've seen several videos with the robophilo taking a few baby steps but I have not seen a good one of it walking yet. Has anyone ordered this robot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaJXlTu- ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FttbzP-FOFs&NR=1
jaybirdtke offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by jaybirdtke » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:14 am

Post by jaybirdtke
Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:14 am

I was going to edit my previous post but I figured you could better follow my decision making process this way. I did find some other videos of the robophilo including a "fast walking" - you be the judge.
http://www.robobrothers.com/
After seeing these videos I'm a bit skeptical about this bot. He seems to have made a booboo in his pants in that "fast walking" video. After all, you get what you pay for. I'm now leaning toward the Kondo KHR series. But it's quite an investment. This site is a wealth of information, and I feel lucky to have it as a resource.
I was going to edit my previous post but I figured you could better follow my decision making process this way. I did find some other videos of the robophilo including a "fast walking" - you be the judge.
http://www.robobrothers.com/
After seeing these videos I'm a bit skeptical about this bot. He seems to have made a booboo in his pants in that "fast walking" video. After all, you get what you pay for. I'm now leaning toward the Kondo KHR series. But it's quite an investment. This site is a wealth of information, and I feel lucky to have it as a resource.
jaybirdtke offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Gort » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:08 am

Post by Gort
Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:08 am

That is not a bad walk for a 500.00 dollar robot! I bet some one can improve on it with a little work. Also a gyro may help.
That is not a bad walk for a 500.00 dollar robot! I bet some one can improve on it with a little work. Also a gyro may help.
Gort offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by rebuildit » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:11 pm

Post by rebuildit
Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:11 pm

I like the KHR series also.
I do think you get alot for 420 shipped. It leaves alot of room to try diferent things,sensors. I was wondering how good is the controller? Any info on the SDK? Outside of it being in stock in HK,I am having trouble finding any personal reviews of this.
I like the KHR series also.
I do think you get alot for 420 shipped. It leaves alot of room to try diferent things,sensors. I was wondering how good is the controller? Any info on the SDK? Outside of it being in stock in HK,I am having trouble finding any personal reviews of this.
rebuildit offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by jaybirdtke » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:22 am

Post by jaybirdtke
Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:22 am

You are right. You do get a lot for the money. My crack about his walk was premature. Honestly, I think this would make a very nice first robot for a newbie like me. Anyway, The order has been placed. Although this is my first humanoid robot I do have a lot experience with RC Cars, boats, airplanes, helicopters both electric and nitro. I am also a Tech Coordinator for a School District with some programming experience, so I am quite tech savvy. I will do my best to document my build. Wish me luck. :D
You are right. You do get a lot for the money. My crack about his walk was premature. Honestly, I think this would make a very nice first robot for a newbie like me. Anyway, The order has been placed. Although this is my first humanoid robot I do have a lot experience with RC Cars, boats, airplanes, helicopters both electric and nitro. I am also a Tech Coordinator for a School District with some programming experience, so I am quite tech savvy. I will do my best to document my build. Wish me luck. :D
jaybirdtke offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by trey3670 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:05 am

Post by trey3670
Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:05 am

I also have one on order should be here mon or the day after christmas,I am somewhat tech savy,I am an electrician by trade.I have a boe-bot that I have built and had alot of fun with,this seems like the next step! :lol:
I also have one on order should be here mon or the day after christmas,I am somewhat tech savy,I am an electrician by trade.I have a boe-bot that I have built and had alot of fun with,this seems like the next step! :lol:
trey3670 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by jaybirdtke » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:34 am

Post by jaybirdtke
Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:34 am

Cool, did you order through robobrothers? How long ago did you place your order? I received my order number, but I have yet to receive any tracking information.
Cool, did you order through robobrothers? How long ago did you place your order? I received my order number, but I have yet to receive any tracking information.
jaybirdtke offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by trey3670 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:44 am

Post by trey3670
Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:44 am

I ordered on the 17th,didn't get ant tracking info so I called on Friday and talked to the guy in California,thats where I ordered it from,the robo brothers website,he is apparently just a distributer though,I finally got a tracking number fri eve and it said it had arrived at san fransisco so I am hoping it will be here pdq. I got the kit,witch one did you get?

also there seems to be some confusion with the head?
I ordered on the 17th,didn't get ant tracking info so I called on Friday and talked to the guy in California,thats where I ordered it from,the robo brothers website,he is apparently just a distributer though,I finally got a tracking number fri eve and it said it had arrived at san fransisco so I am hoping it will be here pdq. I got the kit,witch one did you get?

also there seems to be some confusion with the head?
trey3670 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by jaybirdtke » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:00 am

Post by jaybirdtke
Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:00 am

I too ordered the kit this past friday. With all the recent news on unsafe toys from china, the paint they use for the head came into question. My understanding is that the head will be in the kit but remain unpainted until it can be resolved. This information is Not first hand. What have you heard about the head?
I too ordered the kit this past friday. With all the recent news on unsafe toys from china, the paint they use for the head came into question. My understanding is that the head will be in the kit but remain unpainted until it can be resolved. This information is Not first hand. What have you heard about the head?
jaybirdtke offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by rebuildit » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:17 am

Post by rebuildit
Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:17 am

I ordered today. I spoke with Steve from the distributor in Cali on fri. He said the head will come unpainted and the kits will come with decals of all the colors because of the lead content being to high in the paint. He mentioned people are getting the kits in as little as 6 days. I wish I could be so lucky.
I ordered today. I spoke with Steve from the distributor in Cali on fri. He said the head will come unpainted and the kits will come with decals of all the colors because of the lead content being to high in the paint. He mentioned people are getting the kits in as little as 6 days. I wish I could be so lucky.
rebuildit offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by rebuildit » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:07 pm

Post by rebuildit
Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:07 pm

Did either of you guys get your robot yet?
The suspense is killing me..lol
Did either of you guys get your robot yet?
The suspense is killing me..lol
rebuildit offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by jaybirdtke » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:25 pm

Post by jaybirdtke
Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:25 pm

I just called an received a tracking number. Mine just left Hong Kong today. I guess it'll be a few days. :(
I just called an received a tracking number. Mine just left Hong Kong today. I guess it'll be a few days. :(
jaybirdtke offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

What do we have here?

Post by IraGraves » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:23 pm

Post by IraGraves
Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:23 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id ... 030&size=l

Just arrived about 20 minutes ago... Ordered on Dec 13th...

:lol: Time to start building!
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id ... 030&size=l

Just arrived about 20 minutes ago... Ordered on Dec 13th...

:lol: Time to start building!
IraGraves offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by trey3670 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:51 pm

Post by trey3670
Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:51 pm

still nothing,tracking says its in san fransisco still :(
still nothing,tracking says its in san fransisco still :(
trey3670 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer