HELP, Robophilo will not obey my commands!!!

From RoboBrothers.com (Livermore, CA) came the first sub US$400 humanoid robot kit to appear late 2007
8 postsPage 1 of 1
8 postsPage 1 of 1

HELP, Robophilo will not obey my commands!!!

Post by Baccman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:10 am

Post by Baccman
Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:10 am

Disaster has struck...

I finally got him tuned and doing flips and standing from laying face up. Push-ups.... no problem. Walking still a bit of a problem but improving. Then, I start to get the no-no head shake (which I assume means that he dosen't understand the commands from the remote), at that time I notice the IR reciever is loose. So I then lay him face down to remove the back cover only to find the IR reciever is falling out when I attempt to reinsert fully I notice that it is very hot. After that he will not respond to the remote at all. Hooked up to the computer he seems to work with no trouble.

A quick check of the user guide states an IR short will cause the whole board to go bad??? Could it just be the IR or am I being to optimistic. I'm kinda stuck here.
Disaster has struck...

I finally got him tuned and doing flips and standing from laying face up. Push-ups.... no problem. Walking still a bit of a problem but improving. Then, I start to get the no-no head shake (which I assume means that he dosen't understand the commands from the remote), at that time I notice the IR reciever is loose. So I then lay him face down to remove the back cover only to find the IR reciever is falling out when I attempt to reinsert fully I notice that it is very hot. After that he will not respond to the remote at all. Hooked up to the computer he seems to work with no trouble.

A quick check of the user guide states an IR short will cause the whole board to go bad??? Could it just be the IR or am I being to optimistic. I'm kinda stuck here.
Baccman offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by jaybirdtke » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:40 am

Post by jaybirdtke
Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:40 am

My IR plug in is also a little loose. I have not had the issue of RoboPhilo not responding to IR commands. Have you tried the Robobrothers forum or contacting their support staff?
My IR plug in is also a little loose. I have not had the issue of RoboPhilo not responding to IR commands. Have you tried the Robobrothers forum or contacting their support staff?
jaybirdtke offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by trey3670 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:03 am

Post by trey3670
Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:03 am

sounds like the ir sensor went kaput,they dont get hot,good news is radio shack will have one take in the old one and get a new one,5$ or so.
I had the same prob of mine being loose to a lil dab of hot glue cured it though
sounds like the ir sensor went kaput,they dont get hot,good news is radio shack will have one take in the old one and get a new one,5$ or so.
I had the same prob of mine being loose to a lil dab of hot glue cured it though
trey3670 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Baccman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:46 am

Post by Baccman
Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:46 am

Looks like a trip to the 'shack. Hope that does it.
Looks like a trip to the 'shack. Hope that does it.
Baccman offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by Baccman » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:43 am

Post by Baccman
Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:43 am

That was it. A new IR reciever and some hot melt, Philo is up and running, so to speak.
That was it. A new IR reciever and some hot melt, Philo is up and running, so to speak.
Baccman offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by trey3670 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:19 pm

Post by trey3670
Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:19 pm

good news! good to hear,how much? I also have found he doesnt like the remote from the front so much,the ir sensor faces backwards ,i have found that if you bend it forward as much as the housing allows,it improves greatly.
good news! good to hear,how much? I also have found he doesnt like the remote from the front so much,the ir sensor faces backwards ,i have found that if you bend it forward as much as the housing allows,it improves greatly.
trey3670 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Baccman » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:07 am

Post by Baccman
Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:07 am

Well, i went to Radio Shack and they did not have it. I came home to try to order one online, On the desk in front of me is my Boe-Bot complete with his IR setup.....well, it's not complete anymore. The IR sensors in that kit work perfectly with Philo. They are $3.50 or so from parallax.(www.parallax.com)
Well, i went to Radio Shack and they did not have it. I came home to try to order one online, On the desk in front of me is my Boe-Bot complete with his IR setup.....well, it's not complete anymore. The IR sensors in that kit work perfectly with Philo. They are $3.50 or so from parallax.(www.parallax.com)
Baccman offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by trey3670 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:37 am

Post by trey3670
Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:37 am

huh I also have the boe-bot,cool
huh I also have the boe-bot,cool
trey3670 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

8 postsPage 1 of 1