robophilo junior

From RoboBrothers.com (Livermore, CA) came the first sub US$400 humanoid robot kit to appear late 2007
4 postsPage 1 of 1
4 postsPage 1 of 1

robophilo junior

Post by PedroR » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:22 am

Post by PedroR
Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:22 am

Hi all

I have read about Robophilo Junior on the latest Robot magazine.

What is your opinion about it?

It comes with less DOF (10) and sells for 250USD (pre-assembled) or 200USD (un assembled).

The plus side is that, according to the specs, it can handle up to 20 I/O so I guess that with some C coding it should extremely extensible.

Do you think it's worth it?

What are the known downsides/weaknesses in this or the bigger kit?

Thx
Pedro
Hi all

I have read about Robophilo Junior on the latest Robot magazine.

It comes with less DOF (10) and sells for 250USD (pre-assembled) or 200USD (un assembled).

The plus side is that, according to the specs, it can handle up to 20 I/O so I guess that with some C coding it should extremely extensible.

Do you think it's worth it?

What are the known downsides/weaknesses in this or the bigger kit?

Thx
Pedro
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by RiffRaff » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:18 pm

Post by RiffRaff
Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:18 pm

Pedro,

I was hoping to have my Philo completed and walking around before replying to your post. However, I think you ought to be aware that the enthusiasm here and support on the RoboBrothers website have pretty much evaporated. That's not to say you shouldn't get into a Jr or Philo, just that besides the posts here from last year, and whatever help I can give you, it seems you are pretty much on your own. I think the Philo will turn out to be a great bot when I figure out the software troubles I am haveing now, so as long as you are determined to see it through, you are probably well served to get the Jr. or just jump right into the Philo. I know that I will have to upgrade the servos on my Philo to get what I want out of it, but I am planning some mods anyway.

I am pretty disappointed in the Philo community that was flourishing this time last year, and in RoboBrothers who don't even have a faq up and have pulled the plug on thier forum. But I belive we can find some still active Philo & Jr owners who will be able and willing to provide the knowlege and advice we need.

Be aware that first of all you will need to trim the mounting tabs off of the servos that are intended for the arms and legs. Also I would advise you to read all the way through the Philo thread and keep notes.

Good luck on your decision,

Riff
Pedro,

I was hoping to have my Philo completed and walking around before replying to your post. However, I think you ought to be aware that the enthusiasm here and support on the RoboBrothers website have pretty much evaporated. That's not to say you shouldn't get into a Jr or Philo, just that besides the posts here from last year, and whatever help I can give you, it seems you are pretty much on your own. I think the Philo will turn out to be a great bot when I figure out the software troubles I am haveing now, so as long as you are determined to see it through, you are probably well served to get the Jr. or just jump right into the Philo. I know that I will have to upgrade the servos on my Philo to get what I want out of it, but I am planning some mods anyway.

I am pretty disappointed in the Philo community that was flourishing this time last year, and in RoboBrothers who don't even have a faq up and have pulled the plug on thier forum. But I belive we can find some still active Philo & Jr owners who will be able and willing to provide the knowlege and advice we need.

Be aware that first of all you will need to trim the mounting tabs off of the servos that are intended for the arms and legs. Also I would advise you to read all the way through the Philo thread and keep notes.

Good luck on your decision,

Riff
RiffRaff offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by PedroR » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:19 pm

Post by PedroR
Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:19 pm

Thanks for your opinion.

The price tag for the Robophilo Junior was appealing and if the servos had position feedback one could write some pc libraries and make a lot with it.
The community reaction seems to be inline with this: with low cost alternatives now like Robobuilder that give you a lot more features philo is seems technically outdated.
Thanks for your opinion.

The price tag for the Robophilo Junior was appealing and if the servos had position feedback one could write some pc libraries and make a lot with it.
The community reaction seems to be inline with this: with low cost alternatives now like Robobuilder that give you a lot more features philo is seems technically outdated.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

hi

Post by victorshannon128 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:46 am

Post by victorshannon128
Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:46 am

Hi, my name is victor shannon Recently moved from Kansas, originally from the Quad cities area and to this day miss my home town.

I have an awesome free time,I really enjoy all dry weather , specially the winter and snow!

High Tech has been a part of my life for the last 5 years and most recently primarily on the Web.

I love to learn new things.
Things as they are, more and more people are seeking help from people who have walked the walk and can teach others how to benefit from what they went through. Just ask if you need to know something from me.

I am a designer in the field of Engineering project management.

Learning about new things is one of my passions.

when possible I volunteer for for valid causes that help the environment.

I am to be a part of this Website and I am helpful.
Hi, my name is victor shannon Recently moved from Kansas, originally from the Quad cities area and to this day miss my home town.

I have an awesome free time,I really enjoy all dry weather , specially the winter and snow!

High Tech has been a part of my life for the last 5 years and most recently primarily on the Web.

I love to learn new things.
Things as they are, more and more people are seeking help from people who have walked the walk and can teach others how to benefit from what they went through. Just ask if you need to know something from me.

I am a designer in the field of Engineering project management.

Learning about new things is one of my passions.

when possible I volunteer for for valid causes that help the environment.

I am to be a part of this Website and I am helpful.
victorshannon128 offline

4 postsPage 1 of 1
4 postsPage 1 of 1