problems tuning my Philo

From RoboBrothers.com (Livermore, CA) came the first sub US$400 humanoid robot kit to appear late 2007
6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1

problems tuning my Philo

Post by dlc » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:53 am

Post by dlc
Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:53 am

Hello,

I bought a RoboPhilo from another person and I wasn't convinced that it was correctly built since it never worked. So, I bought a new controller board, tore it down and am rebuilding it. Problem is that things don't work as they say they should in the manual when tuning. I plug in my left "foot" and it never does anything, it never gets its signal from the board, the servo is limp. When I built the two legs up completely it appears that everything in the left and right leg "appear" to work, but the left foot. Also, the top leg servo of either leg does not center during the tuning phase. In one case I get 90+ degrees in one direction but only about 60 in the other, on the right side I get no flex to one side and "bunches" to the other. Based upon the instructions I could do this 100 times and get the exact same results.

What code should be in this board? It is pretty clear that the code that it shipped with is not correct. Can someone help me out on this?

I've sent messages to "robobrothers" support but haven't heard anything in 24 hours, which may not be unusual but the incompleteness of the website makes me worry that they aren't in business any more. Can someone put that fear to rest?

Thanks for all your help team!

DLC
Hello,

I bought a RoboPhilo from another person and I wasn't convinced that it was correctly built since it never worked. So, I bought a new controller board, tore it down and am rebuilding it. Problem is that things don't work as they say they should in the manual when tuning. I plug in my left "foot" and it never does anything, it never gets its signal from the board, the servo is limp. When I built the two legs up completely it appears that everything in the left and right leg "appear" to work, but the left foot. Also, the top leg servo of either leg does not center during the tuning phase. In one case I get 90+ degrees in one direction but only about 60 in the other, on the right side I get no flex to one side and "bunches" to the other. Based upon the instructions I could do this 100 times and get the exact same results.

What code should be in this board? It is pretty clear that the code that it shipped with is not correct. Can someone help me out on this?

I've sent messages to "robobrothers" support but haven't heard anything in 24 hours, which may not be unusual but the incompleteness of the website makes me worry that they aren't in business any more. Can someone put that fear to rest?

Thanks for all your help team!

DLC
dlc offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by allanonmage » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:28 am

Post by allanonmage
Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:28 am

Oh, they are still in business, it seems they just don't have helpful support :-/

I have filed a complaint with the CA BBB and we'll see if I can get them do help me out. I can't send the motion file to the board. Supposedly there's a way to upload new firmware, and supposedly it's on their website, but I couldn't find it.

I asked for help from Robot and Servo magazines, and that didn't pan out. Robot magazine just wrote a several page review of it, all kinds of glowing - and several GLARING factual innaccuricies.
Oh, they are still in business, it seems they just don't have helpful support :-/

I have filed a complaint with the CA BBB and we'll see if I can get them do help me out. I can't send the motion file to the board. Supposedly there's a way to upload new firmware, and supposedly it's on their website, but I couldn't find it.

I asked for help from Robot and Servo magazines, and that didn't pan out. Robot magazine just wrote a several page review of it, all kinds of glowing - and several GLARING factual innaccuricies.
allanonmage offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by robobrothers » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:05 pm

Post by robobrothers
Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi Allononmage,

As we discuss, you can mail the controller board with tracking to robobrothers. We are happy to check on it and replace the board if necessary.

We have sent you the new firmware to upload before. However, if the chip or the board is damaged, it will not upload any firmware. It need to be repair in our shop.

Hi Dlc,

If you need have problem with your robot, please mail in your controller board with tracking to robobrothers. We are happy to check on it and replace the board if necessary.

Robobrothers.

allanonmage wrote:Oh, they are still in business, it seems they just don't have helpful support :-/

Hi Allononmage,

As we discuss, you can mail the controller board with tracking to robobrothers. We are happy to check on it and replace the board if necessary.

We have sent you the new firmware to upload before. However, if the chip or the board is damaged, it will not upload any firmware. It need to be repair in our shop.

Hi Dlc,

If you need have problem with your robot, please mail in your controller board with tracking to robobrothers. We are happy to check on it and replace the board if necessary.

Robobrothers.

allanonmage wrote:Oh, they are still in business, it seems they just don't have helpful support :-/

robobrothers offline

Remote control of RoboPhilo

Post by quasibody » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:43 am

Post by quasibody
Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:43 am

Hi robobrothers
I posted a message (another thread) about my problem with trying to run my RoboPhilo with the remote controller. Would you be able to offer some advice?

When I press pre-programmed keys (as instructions tell me) all servos start to move in a random fashion and I cannot stop them in any way but switching off the power.

I probably need to reprogram the keys somehow but I found instructions not very clear how to do it.

Could I get some step-by-step (for dummies) advice, please?
Thanks in advance.
Hi robobrothers
I posted a message (another thread) about my problem with trying to run my RoboPhilo with the remote controller. Would you be able to offer some advice?

When I press pre-programmed keys (as instructions tell me) all servos start to move in a random fashion and I cannot stop them in any way but switching off the power.

I probably need to reprogram the keys somehow but I found instructions not very clear how to do it.

Could I get some step-by-step (for dummies) advice, please?
Thanks in advance.
quasibody offline

Post by robobrothers » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:10 pm

Post by robobrothers
Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi Quasibody,

In general, you can program the motion you want for the remote key tab, apply the changes and save the tab, then save the motion file on the config tab, then follow the steps to download the motion file. Reboot the robot, then the remote key should work. Sometimes if the lighting is bright, the robot may recognize your key press as another key and play the motion in a wrong way.

You can contact support@robobrothers.com for more detail follow up.

Thanks,

Robobrothers.
Hi Quasibody,

In general, you can program the motion you want for the remote key tab, apply the changes and save the tab, then save the motion file on the config tab, then follow the steps to download the motion file. Reboot the robot, then the remote key should work. Sometimes if the lighting is bright, the robot may recognize your key press as another key and play the motion in a wrong way.

You can contact support@robobrothers.com for more detail follow up.

Thanks,

Robobrothers.
robobrothers offline

Post by quasibody » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:23 am

Post by quasibody
Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:23 am

You gave me more optimism with your response. I tried again to download the motion file and did the reboot as you suggested.
It worked! I am so excited. Now I can put the skin on the robot and will start programming and testing new motions soon :P
Thank you!
You gave me more optimism with your response. I tried again to download the motion file and did the reboot as you suggested.
It worked! I am so excited. Now I can put the skin on the robot and will start programming and testing new motions soon :P
Thank you!
quasibody offline

6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1