'High Torque Servo' upgrade cost

From RoboBrothers.com (Livermore, CA) came the first sub US$400 humanoid robot kit to appear late 2007
4 postsPage 1 of 1
4 postsPage 1 of 1

'High Torque Servo' upgrade cost

Post by RobertsKitty » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Post by RobertsKitty
Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:48 pm

I am considering purchasing the Robophilo as my first humanoid robot. I have been into robots for years but this is my first experience with humanoid robots. I found on robobrothers website http://shop.robobrothers.com/product.sc?productId=23&categoryId=1 for $32. If I wanted to start out replacing all the basic servos, how many would I need to buy?

Also, I know very little about robotics (all the kits I have done require no soldering etc) so how difficult will it be to replace the original servos.
I am considering purchasing the Robophilo as my first humanoid robot. I have been into robots for years but this is my first experience with humanoid robots. I found on robobrothers website http://shop.robobrothers.com/product.sc?productId=23&categoryId=1 for $32. If I wanted to start out replacing all the basic servos, how many would I need to buy?

Also, I know very little about robotics (all the kits I have done require no soldering etc) so how difficult will it be to replace the original servos.
RobertsKitty offline

Post by hugobiwan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Post by hugobiwan
Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Hello from France.
I upgraded first the hip servos, and after the ankles servos. Moves are much better with this replacement.
So i could use the original ankles servos to upgrade the knees.
I also could have taken them for the shoulders.

I used tower pro 995 and tower pro 996 R with metal gear found on ebay but i saw on some forums that these low cost servos would one day cause problems. People are saying that for bipeds high cost servos are much better, but i can't afford it.

Concerning my upgrades:
4x tower pro 995 + 2 x tower pro 996R means about 60-70 euros. And i have a problem concerning fine tuning of the ankles... Ankles upgrade makes a difference. Perhaps shoukd you begin with ankles. Then you could always make choices for the rest of the servos/money.

The best woukd probably to use good hitec or futabas servos. More expensive for the same torque (13Kg!).

But the robot can easily stand on one feet and moves fast.

I am interested in sharing about these robophilo tuning questions.

Best regards,
@hugobiwan
Hello from France.
I upgraded first the hip servos, and after the ankles servos. Moves are much better with this replacement.

I used tower pro 995 and tower pro 996 R with metal gear found on ebay but i saw on some forums that these low cost servos would one day cause problems. People are saying that for bipeds high cost servos are much better, but i can't afford it.

Concerning my upgrades:
4x tower pro 995 + 2 x tower pro 996R means about 60-70 euros. And i have a problem concerning fine tuning of the ankles... Ankles upgrade makes a difference. Perhaps shoukd you begin with ankles. Then you could always make choices for the rest of the servos/money.

The best woukd probably to use good hitec or futabas servos. More expensive for the same torque (13Kg!).

Best regards,
@hugobiwan
hugobiwan offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by hugobiwan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Post by hugobiwan
Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Hello from France.

Concerning my upgrades:
4x tower pro 995 + 2 x tower pro 996R means about 60-70 euros. And i have a problem concerning fine tuning of the ankles... Ankles upgrade makes a difference. Perhaps should you begin with ankles. Then you could always make choices for the rest of the servos/money.

Best regards,
@hugobiwan
Hello from France.

Concerning my upgrades:
4x tower pro 995 + 2 x tower pro 996R means about 60-70 euros. And i have a problem concerning fine tuning of the ankles... Ankles upgrade makes a difference. Perhaps should you begin with ankles. Then you could always make choices for the rest of the servos/money.

Best regards,
@hugobiwan
hugobiwan offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by hugobiwan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:23 pm

Post by hugobiwan
Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:23 pm

Just another thing. Upgrade the servos by pairs or you will have problems with the moves : so it does means 74 dollars just for 2 ankles or 2 hips.

Best regards.
@hugobiwan
Just another thing. Upgrade the servos by pairs or you will have problems with the moves : so it does means 74 dollars just for 2 ankles or 2 hips.

Best regards.
@hugobiwan
hugobiwan offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

4 postsPage 1 of 1
4 postsPage 1 of 1