Robogames 2009: Bots and Bits, in and out of U.S.

Find out where is the next place and time where you can meet other walking robot builders and fans
4 postsPage 1 of 1
4 postsPage 1 of 1

Robogames 2009: Bots and Bits, in and out of U.S.

Post by i-Bot » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Post by i-Bot
Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:20 pm

I am going to Robogames and can't decide whether to take a bot.

Does anyone have actual experience and advice for carrying bipeds into and out of U.S., with Homeland Security etc ?
I am going to Robogames and can't decide whether to take a bot.

Does anyone have actual experience and advice for carrying bipeds into and out of U.S., with Homeland Security etc ?
i-Bot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Gort » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:16 pm

Post by Gort
Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:16 pm

You should have no problems carrying the robot on to the airplane. They will check it out though but nothing major like taking it apart. They treat it like a laptop. Many of the security personal already know what a humanoid robot is. I carry mine in a camera carrying case. I put all my tools and extra parts in my check in luggage. I have traveled with my robot three times in the last two years with two of the times being to San Fran for RoboGames.
You should have no problems carrying the robot on to the airplane. They will check it out though but nothing major like taking it apart. They treat it like a laptop. Many of the security personal already know what a humanoid robot is. I carry mine in a camera carrying case. I put all my tools and extra parts in my check in luggage. I have traveled with my robot three times in the last two years with two of the times being to San Fran for RoboGames.
Last edited by Gort on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gort offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Bullit » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:00 pm

Post by Bullit
Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:00 pm

We look forward to seeing you there!

Don't give any demos to security guards. It might frighten them.

There is a strict rule about the length of tools that can be in your carry on items. I think its 6 inches so keep screwdrivers and pliers in your checkin bags.
We look forward to seeing you there!

Don't give any demos to security guards. It might frighten them.

There is a strict rule about the length of tools that can be in your carry on items. I think its 6 inches so keep screwdrivers and pliers in your checkin bags.
Bullit offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by StuartL » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:25 am

Post by StuartL
Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:25 am

Bullit wrote:There is a strict rule about the length of tools that can be in your carry on items. I think its 6 inches so keep screwdrivers and pliers in your checkin bags.

I had a precision screwdriver confiscated by security once, I'm sure they were worried about me perforating the pilot to death.
Bullit wrote:There is a strict rule about the length of tools that can be in your carry on items. I think its 6 inches so keep screwdrivers and pliers in your checkin bags.

I had a precision screwdriver confiscated by security once, I'm sure they were worried about me perforating the pilot to death.
StuartL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

4 postsPage 1 of 1
4 postsPage 1 of 1