RoboGames 2009

Find out where is the next place and time where you can meet other walking robot builders and fans
8 postsPage 1 of 1
8 postsPage 1 of 1

RoboGames 2009

Post by Gort » Tue May 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Post by Gort
Tue May 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Robogames starts in about 29 days. Who all is going?
Robogames starts in about 29 days. Who all is going?
Gort offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Re: RoboGames 2009

Post by tempusmaster » Wed May 27, 2009 5:19 am

Post by tempusmaster
Wed May 27, 2009 5:19 am

Gort wrote:Robogames starts in about 29 days. Who all is going?

We'll be flying in on June 10th and staying for about a week. We'll be at Fort Mason every day, all day!

See you soon!
Gort wrote:Robogames starts in about 29 days. Who all is going?

We'll be flying in on June 10th and staying for about a week. We'll be at Fort Mason every day, all day!

See you soon!
Latest robot news, information, reviews, hacks, photos, and videos - with special on-site coverage from Japan
http://www.robots-dreams.com
tempusmaster offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gort » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:51 am

Post by Gort
Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:51 am

I had a great time at Robogames 2009. I am curious about what other people thought about the event. I know that Saturday was a packed house!

phpBB [media]
I had a great time at Robogames 2009. I am curious about what other people thought about the event. I know that Saturday was a packed house!

phpBB [media]
Gort offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by StuartL » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:36 am

Post by StuartL
Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:36 am

I see Farrell Robotics have been generating massive humanoids again... did you get any intel? ;)
I see Farrell Robotics have been generating massive humanoids again... did you get any intel? ;)
StuartL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by i-Bot » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:16 am

Post by i-Bot
Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:16 am

I have some video or the Farrell big robots fighting, I will upload when I have time.

Their robots are amazing in both design and execution This is not only the mechanics, but also the software and the motions.

Expensive EX-106 servos in places, Gumstix controller, Analog Devices IMU. LiPO batteries in upper leg. Servos off FTDI USB to serial.

Control is by PS3 handsets direct to Gumstix. The software will accept new commands from the controller during an existing motion and recalculate the Bezier to give smooth changes to the new motion. Uses 6 axis sensors on PS3 controller to change direction.

Didn't get hands on controlling the big robots, but did with the smaller ones, amazing !

Maybe too big for general competition, but great for soccer and sprints. The design and control are suited to the smaller Robo-One bots too.

Jin Sato from Japan, still thinks they are 1 to 2 years behind state of the art in Japan, but catching up fast.
I have some video or the Farrell big robots fighting, I will upload when I have time.

Their robots are amazing in both design and execution This is not only the mechanics, but also the software and the motions.

Expensive EX-106 servos in places, Gumstix controller, Analog Devices IMU. LiPO batteries in upper leg. Servos off FTDI USB to serial.

Control is by PS3 handsets direct to Gumstix. The software will accept new commands from the controller during an existing motion and recalculate the Bezier to give smooth changes to the new motion. Uses 6 axis sensors on PS3 controller to change direction.

Didn't get hands on controlling the big robots, but did with the smaller ones, amazing !

Maybe too big for general competition, but great for soccer and sprints. The design and control are suited to the smaller Robo-One bots too.

Jin Sato from Japan, still thinks they are 1 to 2 years behind state of the art in Japan, but catching up fast.
i-Bot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by i-Bot » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:29 am

Post by i-Bot
Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:29 am

A quick upload of Zyn and Kai:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJw2Lh4bJVg
A quick upload of Zyn and Kai:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJw2Lh4bJVg
i-Bot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by BillB » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:13 pm

Post by BillB
Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:13 pm

Thanks for uploading the video i-Bot. Looking forward to any more videos or pics that you took at the RoboGames.

Zyn and Kai look great, and quite stable given their height. I particularly like the hands - I notice that the fingers cam clasp into a fist (like the recently posted MELISSA robot kit.) I wonder if the hands will become available as separates.
Thanks for uploading the video i-Bot. Looking forward to any more videos or pics that you took at the RoboGames.

Zyn and Kai look great, and quite stable given their height. I particularly like the hands - I notice that the fingers cam clasp into a fist (like the recently posted MELISSA robot kit.) I wonder if the hands will become available as separates.
BillB offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by i-Bot » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:30 pm

Post by i-Bot
Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:30 pm

I forgot to mention the hands. They are really neat in both design and execution.

Though they appear fairly simple in construction. Fingers are stiff plastic tubes with v cuts so they can bend in the right direction. Wire sinews seem to go from finger tip to the servo which closes the hand ( I could only see one servo).

Despite this apparent simplicity they are very effective and also very attractive. The "Do not touch" sign on these robots was ingored by some children who wanted to touch and hold the hand.
I forgot to mention the hands. They are really neat in both design and execution.

Though they appear fairly simple in construction. Fingers are stiff plastic tubes with v cuts so they can bend in the right direction. Wire sinews seem to go from finger tip to the servo which closes the hand ( I could only see one servo).

Despite this apparent simplicity they are very effective and also very attractive. The "Do not touch" sign on these robots was ingored by some children who wanted to touch and hold the hand.
i-Bot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

8 postsPage 1 of 1
8 postsPage 1 of 1