Walking with robots

Find out where is the next place and time where you can meet other walking robot builders and fans
10 postsPage 1 of 1
10 postsPage 1 of 1

Walking with robots

Post by NovaOne » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:57 pm

Post by NovaOne
Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:57 pm

Walking with Robots is the UK’s first robot festival. The event will bring the top brains in robot science, known as robotics, from universities (see notes to editors) around the UK to Manchester. And although the content promises to be cutting edge, its presentation will be anything but dry.

Crowd-pleasing events planned for the four-day festival include a pub guide to robots, a robot football championship and a discussion about robots in films, lead by science and film broadcaster Quentin Cooper.

Festival director Laura Drane said: “Walking with Robots is an interactive and fun showcase for robotics in the UK. Some of the best minds in the field are coming to Manchester to demonstrate how robots could one day impact on every aspect of our lives, from helping with the housework to fighting fires or just making a great toy.”

The free Robo-mania exhibition, including the Mars Rover, an animatronic butterfly, a robot with a song and dance habit and a robot swarm will run at the Museum of Science and Industry 24-27 October 10.30am-4.30pm.

A robot hack day (Sat 24 Oct) will see experts and novices alike break apart toy robots to make something completely different and don’t miss the chance to build a robot footballer and get one in the net against your hard-wired opponent (also Sat 24 Oct).

Walking with Robots, part of the Manchester Science Festival
Museum of Science & Industry, Manchester
+ various venues in Manchester

24-27 October 2009

Manchester Science Festival: T 0161 833 0027

Festival of Robotics in Manchester
Walking with Robots is planning a Festival of Robotics between 24 October - 1 November 2009. The festival will be part of the Manchester Science Festival. http://www.manchestersciencefestival.com/

If you would like to bring along an activity or event to the festival, please fill in the in the Expression of Interest Form. http://festivalofrobotics.wufoo.com/forms/festival-of-robotics-expression-of-interest/

If you would like to attend the festival as a volunteer, please fill in the in the Volunteer Form. http://festivalofrobotics.wufoo.com/forms/festival-of-robotics-volunteers/
For further information please visit the Festival Wiki.
http://wwrobotfestival.pbwiki.com/http://www.walkingwithrobots.org/news/

Thanks for the info from Orac on his site: http://www.ukrobotgroup.com/joomla/
Walking with Robots is the UK’s first robot festival. The event will bring the top brains in robot science, known as robotics, from universities (see notes to editors) around the UK to Manchester. And although the content promises to be cutting edge, its presentation will be anything but dry.

Crowd-pleasing events planned for the four-day festival include a pub guide to robots, a robot football championship and a discussion about robots in films, lead by science and film broadcaster Quentin Cooper.

Festival director Laura Drane said: “Walking with Robots is an interactive and fun showcase for robotics in the UK. Some of the best minds in the field are coming to Manchester to demonstrate how robots could one day impact on every aspect of our lives, from helping with the housework to fighting fires or just making a great toy.”

The free Robo-mania exhibition, including the Mars Rover, an animatronic butterfly, a robot with a song and dance habit and a robot swarm will run at the Museum of Science and Industry 24-27 October 10.30am-4.30pm.

A robot hack day (Sat 24 Oct) will see experts and novices alike break apart toy robots to make something completely different and don’t miss the chance to build a robot footballer and get one in the net against your hard-wired opponent (also Sat 24 Oct).

Walking with Robots, part of the Manchester Science Festival
Museum of Science & Industry, Manchester
+ various venues in Manchester

24-27 October 2009

Manchester Science Festival: T 0161 833 0027

Festival of Robotics in Manchester
Walking with Robots is planning a Festival of Robotics between 24 October - 1 November 2009. The festival will be part of the Manchester Science Festival. http://www.manchestersciencefestival.com/

If you would like to bring along an activity or event to the festival, please fill in the in the Expression of Interest Form. http://festivalofrobotics.wufoo.com/forms/festival-of-robotics-expression-of-interest/

If you would like to attend the festival as a volunteer, please fill in the in the Volunteer Form. http://festivalofrobotics.wufoo.com/forms/festival-of-robotics-volunteers/
For further information please visit the Festival Wiki.
http://wwrobotfestival.pbwiki.com/http://www.walkingwithrobots.org/news/

Thanks for the info from Orac on his site: http://www.ukrobotgroup.com/joomla/
NovaOne offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Orac » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:36 pm

Post by Orac
Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi,

I'm in two minds about going to this as an exhibitor, so much to do between now and Christmas :(
Hi,

I'm in two minds about going to this as an exhibitor, so much to do between now and Christmas :(
Orac offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by NovaOne » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:59 pm

Post by NovaOne
Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:59 pm

Hi
I'm in two minds about going to this as an exhibitor, so much to do

Hope you have time to go? You always put on a good show!

I have become quite cynical about attempts that try to encourage public interest in robotics/electronics in the UK. The typical "mature" reaction seems to be "Why don't you do something useful with your spare time".......this make me :evil:

I think events like this (in the UK) are best served by robot vendors, rather than educators or hackers...although I would prefer to see a balance of all three.....In this fast moving shallow, image obsessed, media culture...beyond the age of about 8, robotics as a hobby is just not "cool" (in the UK)....and even then the main questions you get asked is how much does it cost, and where can I buy one?. They what to know the price of everything, but know the value of nothing. And when I mention how many hours work Ive put in,...they look at me as if i am mentally deficient. Maybe thats just me :) ,but I don't think I would get the same reaction if I spent the same time leaning to dance, sing or kick a ball. ????

Sorry about the rant :?

PS After getting that off my chest, I will go on one of the days as a spectator, and try to keep an open mind :) .

Interesting to here about anyone elses experiences relating to this subject??
Hi
I'm in two minds about going to this as an exhibitor, so much to do

Hope you have time to go? You always put on a good show!

I have become quite cynical about attempts that try to encourage public interest in robotics/electronics in the UK. The typical "mature" reaction seems to be "Why don't you do something useful with your spare time".......this make me :evil:

I think events like this (in the UK) are best served by robot vendors, rather than educators or hackers...although I would prefer to see a balance of all three.....In this fast moving shallow, image obsessed, media culture...beyond the age of about 8, robotics as a hobby is just not "cool" (in the UK)....and even then the main questions you get asked is how much does it cost, and where can I buy one?. They what to know the price of everything, but know the value of nothing. And when I mention how many hours work Ive put in,...they look at me as if i am mentally deficient. Maybe thats just me :) ,but I don't think I would get the same reaction if I spent the same time leaning to dance, sing or kick a ball. ????

Sorry about the rant :?

PS After getting that off my chest, I will go on one of the days as a spectator, and try to keep an open mind :) .

Interesting to here about anyone elses experiences relating to this subject??
NovaOne offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by BillB » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:43 am

Post by BillB
Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:43 am

Novaone wrote:

I have become quite cynical about attempts that try to encourage public interest in robotics/electronics in the UK. The typical "mature" reaction seems to be "Why don't you do something useful with your spare time".......this make me Evil or Very Mad

I too get the comments “Why don't you do something useful with your spare time", but I interpret this as “Why don’t you make the Robot do something useful in your spare time”. The simple reason is because Robotics is difficult, very, very difficult. But to me that is the fun part.

Domestic/Entertainment/Hobby robotics is still too immature for the mainstream, there are still big technical hurdles to overcome (like autonomous control, terrain adaptation etc.).

As you know, I have been to a fair number of these robotics events, and the spectators always follow a similar pattern: They are initially in ore and astonishment to see a robot that can walk, let along do summersaults (“I thought they could only do that in computer games” was my favorite comment). Then they want to see more, and the question “What else can it do?” comes up, and this is where they loose interest. Beyond demonstrations of acrobatics on a flat surface, there is little more the robots can do at the moment.

We have tried humanoid robot soccer – but that is very slow moving and all but the most avid roboticist looses interest very quickly.

We have tried Kung-fu – this always gets a crowd but inevitably the robots break and repairing them can get expensive very quickly for the competitors (this is where sponsorship is needed).

We have tried the Sprint & Stair climb - both of which are very technically challenging, and there is a great sense of achievement for the competitor when (& if) they can complete the challenge. But non-competing spectators simply don't get it, especially when the sprint distance is only 5 metres.

So what is needed is a useful/entertaining niche for the legged robots. The wheeled robots have found their niche in Robotwars and to a limited extent in vacuuming (uncluttered) floors. But legged robots (Biped, Quads & Hexapods) have yet to find their calling.

I have a few ideas of how to make robotics events more interesting to the non-hardcore roboticists, but they all involve a dedicated community of at least a dozen roboticists who regularly meetup, a few key technical innovations and time, plenty of time.

NovaOne - Don’t give up with robotics just yet. Your highly customized Robonova has always set a robotics engineering standard (one that most people will struggle to meet, including me). Stick with it, because the ride is only just beginning.

BillB
Novaone wrote:

I have become quite cynical about attempts that try to encourage public interest in robotics/electronics in the UK. The typical "mature" reaction seems to be "Why don't you do something useful with your spare time".......this make me Evil or Very Mad

I too get the comments “Why don't you do something useful with your spare time", but I interpret this as “Why don’t you make the Robot do something useful in your spare time”. The simple reason is because Robotics is difficult, very, very difficult. But to me that is the fun part.

Domestic/Entertainment/Hobby robotics is still too immature for the mainstream, there are still big technical hurdles to overcome (like autonomous control, terrain adaptation etc.).

As you know, I have been to a fair number of these robotics events, and the spectators always follow a similar pattern: They are initially in ore and astonishment to see a robot that can walk, let along do summersaults (“I thought they could only do that in computer games” was my favorite comment). Then they want to see more, and the question “What else can it do?” comes up, and this is where they loose interest. Beyond demonstrations of acrobatics on a flat surface, there is little more the robots can do at the moment.

We have tried humanoid robot soccer – but that is very slow moving and all but the most avid roboticist looses interest very quickly.

We have tried Kung-fu – this always gets a crowd but inevitably the robots break and repairing them can get expensive very quickly for the competitors (this is where sponsorship is needed).

We have tried the Sprint & Stair climb - both of which are very technically challenging, and there is a great sense of achievement for the competitor when (& if) they can complete the challenge. But non-competing spectators simply don't get it, especially when the sprint distance is only 5 metres.

So what is needed is a useful/entertaining niche for the legged robots. The wheeled robots have found their niche in Robotwars and to a limited extent in vacuuming (uncluttered) floors. But legged robots (Biped, Quads & Hexapods) have yet to find their calling.

I have a few ideas of how to make robotics events more interesting to the non-hardcore roboticists, but they all involve a dedicated community of at least a dozen roboticists who regularly meetup, a few key technical innovations and time, plenty of time.

NovaOne - Don’t give up with robotics just yet. Your highly customized Robonova has always set a robotics engineering standard (one that most people will struggle to meet, including me). Stick with it, because the ride is only just beginning.

BillB
BillB offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by limor » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:14 am

Post by limor
Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:14 am

I think events like this (in the UK) are best served by robot vendors, rather than educators or hackers...although I would prefer to see a balance of all three.....In this fast moving shallow, image obsessed, media culture...beyond the age of about 8, robotics as a hobby is just not "cool" (in the UK)....and even then the main questions you get asked is how much does it cost, and where can I buy one?. They what to know the price of everything, but know the value of nothing. And when I mention how many hours work Ive put in,...they look at me as if i am mentally deficient. Maybe thats just me Smile ,but I don't think I would get the same reaction if I spent the same time leaning to dance, sing or kick a ball. ????

very well put although these reactions may not be surprising considering for example the popularity of other forms of popular hobbies in UK such as the dubious art of train-spotting. I noticed that in public exhibitions there are typical male/female reactions to humanoids. Most males with some techie bones in them will say "o.m.g thats cool!.. how much?". Females will either say "how cute" and leave it at that and/or will go the utilitarian route and say "so what can it do? clean the (removed by spam filter)? ha ha"

Slavation is on its way! After years of waiting it seems like my EC funded project will receive its first lot of cash before the end of the year. The project will boldly try to design, build and control running/jumping legged robots that cost in materials no more than the expensive humanoid kits. The idea that brought me into this business was to create real walking biped robots like the Bostondynamics big-dog (but with 2 legs) where the CPU and good control algorithms make up for mediocre structural design and actuation.
I think events like this (in the UK) are best served by robot vendors, rather than educators or hackers...although I would prefer to see a balance of all three.....In this fast moving shallow, image obsessed, media culture...beyond the age of about 8, robotics as a hobby is just not "cool" (in the UK)....and even then the main questions you get asked is how much does it cost, and where can I buy one?. They what to know the price of everything, but know the value of nothing. And when I mention how many hours work Ive put in,...they look at me as if i am mentally deficient. Maybe thats just me Smile ,but I don't think I would get the same reaction if I spent the same time leaning to dance, sing or kick a ball. ????

very well put although these reactions may not be surprising considering for example the popularity of other forms of popular hobbies in UK such as the dubious art of train-spotting. I noticed that in public exhibitions there are typical male/female reactions to humanoids. Most males with some techie bones in them will say "o.m.g thats cool!.. how much?". Females will either say "how cute" and leave it at that and/or will go the utilitarian route and say "so what can it do? clean the (removed by spam filter)? ha ha"

Slavation is on its way! After years of waiting it seems like my EC funded project will receive its first lot of cash before the end of the year. The project will boldly try to design, build and control running/jumping legged robots that cost in materials no more than the expensive humanoid kits. The idea that brought me into this business was to create real walking biped robots like the Bostondynamics big-dog (but with 2 legs) where the CPU and good control algorithms make up for mediocre structural design and actuation.
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Orac » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:45 pm

Post by Orac
Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:45 pm

I share all the above, but my gut feeling is that I need to concentrate on making a robot for a particular function rather than building robots and then working out what I can do with them.

Need a long weekend in a remote log cabin with only a pen and paper for company...
I share all the above, but my gut feeling is that I need to concentrate on making a robot for a particular function rather than building robots and then working out what I can do with them.

Need a long weekend in a remote log cabin with only a pen and paper for company...
Orac offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by billyzelsnack » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:16 am

Post by billyzelsnack
Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:16 am

limor wrote:Slavation is on its way! After years of waiting it seems like my EC funded project will receive its first lot of cash before the end of the year. The project will boldly try to design, build and control running/jumping legged robots that cost in materials no more than the expensive humanoid kits. The idea that brought me into this business was to create real walking biped robots like the Bostondynamics big-dog (but with 2 legs) where the CPU and good control algorithms make up for mediocre structural design and actuation.

Congratulation Limor. That is great news. I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with. I feel the same way.. Software > Hardware. Now that the ION, Tegra, BeagleBoard, etc size "computers" are starting to become available I see good things coming down the pipe for smaller and affordable humanoids.
limor wrote:Slavation is on its way! After years of waiting it seems like my EC funded project will receive its first lot of cash before the end of the year. The project will boldly try to design, build and control running/jumping legged robots that cost in materials no more than the expensive humanoid kits. The idea that brought me into this business was to create real walking biped robots like the Bostondynamics big-dog (but with 2 legs) where the CPU and good control algorithms make up for mediocre structural design and actuation.

Congratulation Limor. That is great news. I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with. I feel the same way.. Software > Hardware. Now that the ION, Tegra, BeagleBoard, etc size "computers" are starting to become available I see good things coming down the pipe for smaller and affordable humanoids.
billyzelsnack offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by NovaOne » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:41 pm

Post by NovaOne
Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:41 pm

BillB said:

Maybe one day? I'd be happy to help if I can?

Orac said:

Spoken like a true british roboteer, but I personnally need more...:?

After watching (on you-tube) Singapore and Japan Korea leave the rest of the world standing at the starting line, at the latetest Japanese micromouse (as they also do in Robo-One)....I wish I could speak, read and write Japanese, Korean, and Chinese, so I could keep up with some of the developments over there. "Robots dreams" is great for some news but I don't seem to be able to find a Japanese or Korean "Hub site" (like Robosavvy or similar) where Robo-Ones exchange ideas........It seems this would give "us " in the west a little more chance when competing against these more advanced "robosavvy" countries..
Or at least bring our communites together
....any ideas...anyone?
BillB said:

Orac said:

After watching (on you-tube) Singapore and Japan Korea leave the rest of the world standing at the starting line, at the latetest Japanese micromouse (as they also do in Robo-One)....I wish I could speak, read and write Japanese, Korean, and Chinese, so I could keep up with some of the developments over there. "Robots dreams" is great for some news but I don't seem to be able to find a Japanese or Korean "Hub site" (like Robosavvy or similar) where Robo-Ones exchange ideas........It seems this would give "us " in the west a little more chance when competing against these more advanced "robosavvy" countries..
....any ideas...anyone?
NovaOne offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by SabbathbloodySabbath » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:10 am

Post by SabbathbloodySabbath
Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:10 am

NovaOne wrote:BillB said:

Orac said:

....any ideas...anyone?

first of all my friends my english is terrible ... i prefer Greek ... lol
in my point of view, there are two worlds out there and between them a big -huge wall that is separate those two worlds, eastern and western.
in the western part of the world we care about how to make more money... how to get as many girlfriends as we can at the same time if possible.... how to buy the most expensive and the most fast car... how to quit from our jobs without losing our incomes...
how to steal anything from our neighbors without a reason.... but of course some exceptions with different aspect of view. in the other hand the eastern world (japan- korea - chine - india) they are thinking exactly the opposite why.... our exceptions theirs ordinarity, theirs exceptions our ordinarity....
of course this is my opinion and the ' Greek reality ' but i assume neither or less we are thinking like that...
we will never be able to catch them in this part of science (robotics)
NovaOne wrote:BillB said:

Orac said:

....any ideas...anyone?

first of all my friends my english is terrible ... i prefer Greek ... lol
in my point of view, there are two worlds out there and between them a big -huge wall that is separate those two worlds, eastern and western.
in the western part of the world we care about how to make more money... how to get as many girlfriends as we can at the same time if possible.... how to buy the most expensive and the most fast car... how to quit from our jobs without losing our incomes...
how to steal anything from our neighbors without a reason.... but of course some exceptions with different aspect of view. in the other hand the eastern world (japan- korea - chine - india) they are thinking exactly the opposite why.... our exceptions theirs ordinarity, theirs exceptions our ordinarity....
of course this is my opinion and the ' Greek reality ' but i assume neither or less we are thinking like that...
we will never be able to catch them in this part of science (robotics)
SabbathbloodySabbath offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by NovaOne » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:57 am

Post by NovaOne
Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:57 am

:(
....in the other hand the eastern world (japan- Korea - chine - India) they are thinking exactly the opposite why....

I think ultimately, you are saying their cultures are more morally sound?
I hope you are right? But I do not see this in the history of any country....?

in the western part of the world we care about how to make more money...how to steal anything from our neighbors without a reason....

I am sorry that this is the experience you have of the west.

This is also the experience I've had of many big businesses....this may be unique to western business....but i suspect it relates to the size of the business and how too much money and power has corrupted/and distorted their ideas of responsibility to their employees and the communities, in which they are placed.

I have worked for both Japanese and US Multi-National companies. ....in technical jobs.....and I just felt like a number in both companies.

how to get as many girlfriends as we can at the same time if possible.... how to buy the most expensive and the most fast car... how to quit from our jobs without losing our incomes...

I have no knowlegde of the "east" in this area. But looking at the media, and the way some british tourists behave in their yearly club 18-30 holidays in Spain, Greece and the Canary Islands; any one in these countries could come to this conclusion........Similarly about british soccer fans. Its hard to escape a stereotype like this, especially when it is played out every Saturday night in pubs and clubs across the UK. Since we do have particularly problems in the UK, with the young unemployed.

Another consolation I can give , as you mention at the end of your post, this that there are many exceptions to your rule in this matter.
I have met a few of the UK guys who meet on this forum and be assured, they are among these exceptions. Sonic, i-Bot, Orac, StuartL, BillB, Bren, RandomMatt and several others....have been the heart of the Amateur UK Biped Robot group for several years.

I would also like to mention that the UK has a growing "peaceful" multicultural community. This may not be reflected in our media.

Thanks for your opinion, expressed in english. It is not so different from mine, but when I said I would like a site that links communities together. I was not referring to the wider community.....

I was thinking more of a bridge for at much smaller group, namely the Robo-One community.

Rather than ideology, I think language is the main barrier.
:(
....in the other hand the eastern world (japan- Korea - chine - India) they are thinking exactly the opposite why....

I think ultimately, you are saying their cultures are more morally sound?
I hope you are right? But I do not see this in the history of any country....?

in the western part of the world we care about how to make more money...how to steal anything from our neighbors without a reason....

I am sorry that this is the experience you have of the west.

This is also the experience I've had of many big businesses....this may be unique to western business....but i suspect it relates to the size of the business and how too much money and power has corrupted/and distorted their ideas of responsibility to their employees and the communities, in which they are placed.

I have worked for both Japanese and US Multi-National companies. ....in technical jobs.....and I just felt like a number in both companies.

how to get as many girlfriends as we can at the same time if possible.... how to buy the most expensive and the most fast car... how to quit from our jobs without losing our incomes...

I have no knowlegde of the "east" in this area. But looking at the media, and the way some british tourists behave in their yearly club 18-30 holidays in Spain, Greece and the Canary Islands; any one in these countries could come to this conclusion........Similarly about british soccer fans. Its hard to escape a stereotype like this, especially when it is played out every Saturday night in pubs and clubs across the UK. Since we do have particularly problems in the UK, with the young unemployed.

Another consolation I can give , as you mention at the end of your post, this that there are many exceptions to your rule in this matter.
I have met a few of the UK guys who meet on this forum and be assured, they are among these exceptions. Sonic, i-Bot, Orac, StuartL, BillB, Bren, RandomMatt and several others....have been the heart of the Amateur UK Biped Robot group for several years.

I would also like to mention that the UK has a growing "peaceful" multicultural community. This may not be reflected in our media.

Thanks for your opinion, expressed in english. It is not so different from mine, but when I said I would like a site that links communities together. I was not referring to the wider community.....

I was thinking more of a bridge for at much smaller group, namely the Robo-One community.

Rather than ideology, I think language is the main barrier.
NovaOne offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

10 postsPage 1 of 1
10 postsPage 1 of 1