Humanoid Football Tournament Gathering 2011

Find out where is the next place and time where you can meet other walking robot builders and fans
27 postsPage 2 of 21, 2
27 postsPage 2 of 21, 2

Post by billyzelsnack » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Post by billyzelsnack
Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:05 pm

How did you attach the carpet to the surface? Carpet tape?
How did you attach the carpet to the surface? Carpet tape?
billyzelsnack offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by SK » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Post by SK
Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Yes, double sided tape. In my experience one doesn't need too much of that though.
Yes, double sided tape. In my experience one doesn't need too much of that though.
SK offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Traull » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Post by Traull
Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm

the carpet idea looks the best i take it you had no problems with the robots walking on it?
then the lines could be set up on the day.
still need a location,
would be good if more people had an opinion on this subject i mean over 400 people have looked at this page but only 4-5 have commented.
the carpet idea looks the best i take it you had no problems with the robots walking on it?
then the lines could be set up on the day.
still need a location,
would be good if more people had an opinion on this subject i mean over 400 people have looked at this page but only 4-5 have commented.
Traull offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Orac » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Post by Orac
Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Hi,

Have you had a look through the posts and pictures from the previous UK Humanoid events?

I still have our football pitch in the garage, but its warped too badly for use.

Essentially it was a large white melamine surface with boards around the edges to keep the ball in play.

Simple sprayed on lines and a couple of goals.

We had some fun with the football, but it mostly ended up in glorious chaos.

I think we had 3 events at Micromouse in Birmingham and an interim session in the cramped confines of my front room :)

Numbers started to dwindle last year and we all drifted our separate ways.

I would be happy to code some more moves for football for my Manoi, but my goals (pardon the pun) have moved more towards animatronics and character work.

Pete
Hi,

Have you had a look through the posts and pictures from the previous UK Humanoid events?

I still have our football pitch in the garage, but its warped too badly for use.

Essentially it was a large white melamine surface with boards around the edges to keep the ball in play.

Simple sprayed on lines and a couple of goals.

We had some fun with the football, but it mostly ended up in glorious chaos.

I think we had 3 events at Micromouse in Birmingham and an interim session in the cramped confines of my front room :)

Numbers started to dwindle last year and we all drifted our separate ways.

I would be happy to code some more moves for football for my Manoi, but my goals (pardon the pun) have moved more towards animatronics and character work.

Pete
Orac offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Traull » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:18 pm

Post by Traull
Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:18 pm

how easy was it to organize at micro mouse??

as it would be nicer and easier to get with an event, as space is always an issue.
how easy was it to organize at micro mouse??

as it would be nicer and easier to get with an event, as space is always an issue.
Traull offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Orac » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:22 pm

Post by Orac
Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:22 pm

It was very simple, we just asked if we could have an area where we could set-up and compete.

They were happy for a little diversity for their event.

About 6 robots would turn up regularly.
It was very simple, we just asked if we could have an area where we could set-up and compete.

They were happy for a little diversity for their event.

About 6 robots would turn up regularly.
Orac offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Traull » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:27 am

Post by Traull
Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:27 am

really that sounds easy!

is there anyone who lives near the event that could bring a pitch??

what pitch did you use at the event???

or was it your warpped one???

i think making it more of a tournament with some sort of trophy should make it more appealing to people to bring teams, hopefully.

i mean it would be good to get together a list of robots that would attend and make teams up ready for the event.
really that sounds easy!

is there anyone who lives near the event that could bring a pitch??

what pitch did you use at the event???

or was it your warpped one???

i think making it more of a tournament with some sort of trophy should make it more appealing to people to bring teams, hopefully.

i mean it would be good to get together a list of robots that would attend and make teams up ready for the event.
Traull offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by SK » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Post by SK
Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Traull wrote:the carpet idea looks the best i take it you had no problems with the robots walking on it?

Well "no problems" probably depends on the POV, IMHO biped robots have problems with walking basically all the time :). You can look at our videos on YouTube to have a look at the performance. Keep in mind that most RoboCup team use RX-class Dynamixel motors though.

If you look at the japanese remote control robot soccer competitions (e.g. KondoCup, not sure if there are others), you'll notice that they use very flat and slippery surfaces and robots often use these for "shuffle walking". So a decision probably isn't trivial, there are advantages and disadvantages to both carpet as well as plastic surfaces.
Traull wrote:the carpet idea looks the best i take it you had no problems with the robots walking on it?

Well "no problems" probably depends on the POV, IMHO biped robots have problems with walking basically all the time :). You can look at our videos on YouTube to have a look at the performance. Keep in mind that most RoboCup team use RX-class Dynamixel motors though.

If you look at the japanese remote control robot soccer competitions (e.g. KondoCup, not sure if there are others), you'll notice that they use very flat and slippery surfaces and robots often use these for "shuffle walking". So a decision probably isn't trivial, there are advantages and disadvantages to both carpet as well as plastic surfaces.
SK offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Traull » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:51 pm

Post by Traull
Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:51 pm

cheers orac

yea it seems as tho these events get started regularly, sounds great, really looking forward to it now does anyone know if somebody else is maybe already organzing this event but has not posted yet.
cheers orac

yea it seems as tho these events get started regularly, sounds great, really looking forward to it now does anyone know if somebody else is maybe already organzing this event but has not posted yet.
Traull offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Traull » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:39 am

Post by Traull
Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:39 am

ok guys i have spoken to guy who organizes the birmingham micromouse (soon to be renamed hush hush) and here is the result.

we will be very happy to accomodate you at *********** (a new name, not yet released but soon to be). Let me know soon what numbers you will be expecting and what sort of area you will need. Power, desks etc no problem. As I say, we will be starting to advertise the event in press releases shortly, so it would be great to add in the Humanoid Robot Football.

this is excellent news but require numbers of people attending this event i was wondering if anyone had a fare idea of what to go by????

im glad many people have looked at this furom post but now really is the time to stand up and name yourself so i can contact them back with regards to the information above it would also be nice if we could get a website/video footage of this event as well as a name.
so everyone start banging your heads together.

speedy responses are key for the press release so get typing
ok guys i have spoken to guy who organizes the birmingham micromouse (soon to be renamed hush hush) and here is the result.

we will be very happy to accomodate you at *********** (a new name, not yet released but soon to be). Let me know soon what numbers you will be expecting and what sort of area you will need. Power, desks etc no problem. As I say, we will be starting to advertise the event in press releases shortly, so it would be great to add in the Humanoid Robot Football.

this is excellent news but require numbers of people attending this event i was wondering if anyone had a fare idea of what to go by????

im glad many people have looked at this furom post but now really is the time to stand up and name yourself so i can contact them back with regards to the information above it would also be nice if we could get a website/video footage of this event as well as a name.
so everyone start banging your heads together.

speedy responses are key for the press release so get typing
Traull offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Traull » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Post by Traull
Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:03 pm

this topic has a new forum with more information please look over now:

http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6930
this topic has a new forum with more information please look over now:

http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6930
Traull offline