Humanoid Football Tournament Gathering 2011

Find out where is the next place and time where you can meet other walking robot builders and fans
27 postsPage 1 of 21, 2
27 postsPage 1 of 21, 2

Humanoid Football Tournament Gathering 2011

Post by Traull » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:46 pm

Post by Traull
Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:46 pm

hi there everyone

i have been trying to get people together to share and use their humanoid robots, for my first attempt at a base in londons hackspace we had a few people turn up and it was great very informative.

NOW i want to get people together to start a robofootball tournament
but will need to know peoples opinions on the subject.

it would be good to get little teams together i mean everything has to start somewhere so lets all start something.

location wise is a main issue as well as time and place

where would people like it to be held (free space would be ideal, but if everyone is willing to cough up a couple of pound then anything is possible) ideas?

what time of year???

something like this would require lots of people, as people would of seen robo one tournaments, there are 3 players per team so you guys can do the math with regards to how many roboters per tournament.

but as a first tournament its important to get people talking.

trophy's are a must for any tournamet so ideas of winning items is good as well.
but lets keep it realistic your not going to win a boat! or are you????

just remember any comment you write could give other people ideas so dont read this and move on write something even if you think its a bad idea lets hope this kicks off in 2011
hi there everyone

i have been trying to get people together to share and use their humanoid robots, for my first attempt at a base in londons hackspace we had a few people turn up and it was great very informative.

NOW i want to get people together to start a robofootball tournament
but will need to know peoples opinions on the subject.

it would be good to get little teams together i mean everything has to start somewhere so lets all start something.

location wise is a main issue as well as time and place

where would people like it to be held (free space would be ideal, but if everyone is willing to cough up a couple of pound then anything is possible) ideas?

what time of year???

something like this would require lots of people, as people would of seen robo one tournaments, there are 3 players per team so you guys can do the math with regards to how many roboters per tournament.

but as a first tournament its important to get people talking.

trophy's are a must for any tournamet so ideas of winning items is good as well.
but lets keep it realistic your not going to win a boat! or are you????

just remember any comment you write could give other people ideas so dont read this and move on write something even if you think its a bad idea lets hope this kicks off in 2011
Traull offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by JavaRN » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:22 pm

Post by JavaRN
Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:22 pm

As long as it involves autonomous robots I am totally in favour of this and you can count me in, even though I don't live in the UK. I tried to start something regarding this subject sometime ago http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6344&highlight=robocup I even drafted some rules based on robocup 2007 rules if anyone is interested we can work on this together.

Charles
As long as it involves autonomous robots I am totally in favour of this and you can count me in, even though I don't live in the UK. I tried to start something regarding this subject sometime ago http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6344&highlight=robocup I even drafted some rules based on robocup 2007 rules if anyone is interested we can work on this together.

Charles
F'dan il-passatemp ghandek bzonn zewg affarijiet - FLUS u HIN. Zewg affarijiet li huma skarsi hafna u li jien minnhom ghandi vera ftit!
JavaRN offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Traull » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by Traull
Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:57 pm

i was thinking maybe 2 events one for remote controlled the other for autonomous robots
but to showcase both would be amazing but probably would have to keep low scale models (eg bioloid, khr, robobuilder) depending on event size, due to space, as free locations tend to be small.

i just feel there is not enough happening in this area i mean once a year events are to long apart, i mean im not talking weekly but quarterly should be able to achieve and even some events dont cater to the remote controlled humanoids in the uk.

it doesnt take much to get working and i believe bioloid even have a football motion file for one of their designs.
i was thinking maybe 2 events one for remote controlled the other for autonomous robots
but to showcase both would be amazing but probably would have to keep low scale models (eg bioloid, khr, robobuilder) depending on event size, due to space, as free locations tend to be small.

i just feel there is not enough happening in this area i mean once a year events are to long apart, i mean im not talking weekly but quarterly should be able to achieve and even some events dont cater to the remote controlled humanoids in the uk.

it doesnt take much to get working and i believe bioloid even have a football motion file for one of their designs.
Traull offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by JavaRN » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Post by JavaRN
Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:14 pm

For autonomous soccer competitions I believe that once a year is enough as it involves some work to update hardware and software to make your bots better.

Regarding the platform I feel that it HAS to be the lower-end ones - robonova, robobuilder, bioloid (premium), and khr-1/2/3.

I feel that if there are other people in this forum interested they should put their feedback so that we can get the ball rolling.

If ever the event should take place then it should be around June/July.

What do people think?
For autonomous soccer competitions I believe that once a year is enough as it involves some work to update hardware and software to make your bots better.

Regarding the platform I feel that it HAS to be the lower-end ones - robonova, robobuilder, bioloid (premium), and khr-1/2/3.

I feel that if there are other people in this forum interested they should put their feedback so that we can get the ball rolling.

If ever the event should take place then it should be around June/July.

What do people think?
F'dan il-passatemp ghandek bzonn zewg affarijiet - FLUS u HIN. Zewg affarijiet li huma skarsi hafna u li jien minnhom ghandi vera ftit!
JavaRN offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by billyzelsnack » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:34 pm

Post by billyzelsnack
Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:34 pm

I would love an event to take a low cost futbol bot to. I'm more interested in the autonomous aspect, but if there was also an RC event I would compete in that too.
I would love an event to take a low cost futbol bot to. I'm more interested in the autonomous aspect, but if there was also an RC event I would compete in that too.
billyzelsnack offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Traull » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Post by Traull
Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:39 pm

yea i was also thinking a june / july / summer event once a year is good i suppose im just too eager to actually compete.
i personally would prefer the RC style as im sure it would be more fast paced but it has to have both.

JavaRN you said you had made rules up based on the roboone events did you change anything or just copy theirs.

i was thinking of a london region as it has good transport links but maybe it could piggy back on another event if there is anything out there.

construction of a football pitch is a must.
as well as goals.

hopefully people out there could help
:D
yea i was also thinking a june / july / summer event once a year is good i suppose im just too eager to actually compete.
i personally would prefer the RC style as im sure it would be more fast paced but it has to have both.

JavaRN you said you had made rules up based on the roboone events did you change anything or just copy theirs.

i was thinking of a london region as it has good transport links but maybe it could piggy back on another event if there is anything out there.

construction of a football pitch is a must.
as well as goals.

hopefully people out there could help
:D
Traull offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by billyzelsnack » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:57 pm

Post by billyzelsnack
Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:57 pm

Robocup this year is the 5th to the 11th so you probably don't want those dates.
Robocup this year is the 5th to the 11th so you probably don't want those dates.
billyzelsnack offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by billyzelsnack » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:08 pm

Post by billyzelsnack
Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:08 pm

Traull wrote:construction of a football pitch is a must.
as well as goals.

Here's mine:
http://billyzelsnack-robotics.blogspot. ... pitch.html
Traull wrote:construction of a football pitch is a must.
as well as goals.

Here's mine:
http://billyzelsnack-robotics.blogspot. ... pitch.html
billyzelsnack offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Traull » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:21 am

Post by Traull
Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:21 am

is it big enough to support 6 humanoid robots??

are there any goals??

what is it made from??

i will assume its completely flat looks great is it completly flat, as the picture makes it look weird?
is it big enough to support 6 humanoid robots??

are there any goals??

what is it made from??

i will assume its completely flat looks great is it completly flat, as the picture makes it look weird?
Traull offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by billyzelsnack » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:33 am

Post by billyzelsnack
Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:33 am

This is just the biggest test arena I could fit in my room. At the moment the goals are just tape on the wall. I will be getting some pipes and constructing real goals at some point.

It's actually not flat at the moment. I need to dowel it or something. Maybe I'll build a frame under it and screw it down instead. I'm a little worried that the dowels will just pull through the particle board without something else supporting the seam.
This is just the biggest test arena I could fit in my room. At the moment the goals are just tape on the wall. I will be getting some pipes and constructing real goals at some point.

It's actually not flat at the moment. I need to dowel it or something. Maybe I'll build a frame under it and screw it down instead. I'm a little worried that the dowels will just pull through the particle board without something else supporting the seam.
billyzelsnack offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by JavaRN » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:08 am

Post by JavaRN
Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:08 am

It was a joint effort between me and Bill involving mostly robocup 2007 rules rules with some twists, for example the pitch size. I will post it as soon as I find it.

My robosoccer pitch is in the garage, I will post some pictures in the coming days, this video on youtube shows half the pitch and the yellow goal:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG9m8hqvTmk

It was a joint effort between me and Bill involving mostly robocup 2007 rules rules with some twists, for example the pitch size. I will post it as soon as I find it.

My robosoccer pitch is in the garage, I will post some pictures in the coming days, this video on youtube shows half the pitch and the yellow goal:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG9m8hqvTmk
JavaRN offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Traull » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Post by Traull
Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:58 pm

nice pitches i was thinking of a mdf base with a green vinyl top layer and maybe white vinyl lines just so it keeps it as flat as possible and maybe do it in 2-4 sections for transportation but unless its one piece you always run the risk of eneven surfaces which is a shame.
it would really be nice to have 1 piece football surface.

yea it would be good to get a set of rules going, at least if people are intereasted then we can email them out, plus it can deal with robot sizes and scales so we dont end up with someone bringing a 5 foot tall robot.
theres always one....

i am sure i could get the hackspace in hoxton in london as an arena base, the guys there was really intereasted and nice to talk to.
but if there is anyone out there that knows of a better location that would be amazing.
nice pitches i was thinking of a mdf base with a green vinyl top layer and maybe white vinyl lines just so it keeps it as flat as possible and maybe do it in 2-4 sections for transportation but unless its one piece you always run the risk of eneven surfaces which is a shame.

yea it would be good to get a set of rules going, at least if people are intereasted then we can email them out, plus it can deal with robot sizes and scales so we dont end up with someone bringing a 5 foot tall robot.
theres always one....

i am sure i could get the hackspace in hoxton in london as an arena base, the guys there was really intereasted and nice to talk to.
but if there is anyone out there that knows of a better location that would be amazing.
Traull offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by RoboFlop » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:15 pm

Post by RoboFlop
Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:15 pm

London is just too far away for me, which is a shame :roll: I would like to get involved but the distance is prohibitive as it means an overnight stay - take into consideration food, accommodation and travel costs you could be looking at it costing £300+ and thats a few servos right there.
London is just too far away for me, which is a shame :roll: I would like to get involved but the distance is prohibitive as it means an overnight stay - take into consideration food, accommodation and travel costs you could be looking at it costing £300+ and thats a few servos right there.
RoboFlop offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Traull » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Post by Traull
Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 pm

well something mid country would be ideal but with good transport links.
that would be a good idea but i dont know anywhere to set this up hopefully someone else would know of a good location.

we seem to be on course for a pitch and goals seem easy enough to whip up.

its mainly location so any ideas feel free to suggest.

as soon as we know then we can spread the word.

and start getting teams together.
well something mid country would be ideal but with good transport links.
that would be a good idea but i dont know anywhere to set this up hopefully someone else would know of a good location.

we seem to be on course for a pitch and goals seem easy enough to whip up.

its mainly location so any ideas feel free to suggest.

as soon as we know then we can spread the word.

and start getting teams together.
Traull offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by SK » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:57 am

Post by SK
Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:57 am

Traull wrote:nice pitches i was thinking of a mdf base with a green vinyl top layer and maybe white vinyl lines just so it keeps it as flat as possible and maybe do it in 2-4 sections for transportation but unless its one piece you always run the risk of eneven surfaces which is a shame.

To share some experience:
For our RoboCup field we use green carpet with field lines added by using white duct tape. Our current field is two-piece and split into the two field halves (this way the small gap between both is covered by the middle line duct tape). Of course, the current RoboCup KidSize field dimensions make both rolled up halves kinda unwieldy to transport by car, but for smaller field sizes this definitely works pretty good.

A small demo of setup and later use of such a configuration can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fx6PoCQXow ;)
Traull wrote:nice pitches i was thinking of a mdf base with a green vinyl top layer and maybe white vinyl lines just so it keeps it as flat as possible and maybe do it in 2-4 sections for transportation but unless its one piece you always run the risk of eneven surfaces which is a shame.

To share some experience:
For our RoboCup field we use green carpet with field lines added by using white duct tape. Our current field is two-piece and split into the two field halves (this way the small gap between both is covered by the middle line duct tape). Of course, the current RoboCup KidSize field dimensions make both rolled up halves kinda unwieldy to transport by car, but for smaller field sizes this definitely works pretty good.

A small demo of setup and later use of such a configuration can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fx6PoCQXow ;)
SK offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Next
Next
27 postsPage 1 of 21, 2
27 postsPage 1 of 21, 2