Robobuilder 5720T -- VT100 connection problems

Korean company maker of Robot kits and servos designed for of articulated robots. Re-incarnation of Megarobotics.
5 postsPage 1 of 1
5 postsPage 1 of 1

Robobuilder 5720T -- VT100 connection problems

Post by MarkusJ » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:58 am

Post by MarkusJ
Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:58 am

I bought a USB-serial cord to connect to the robot; updated the firmware; and installed Basic. Sometimes I can connect from VT100, but sometimes I get an error message "device not found". It is maddening. I cannot figure out where to start.

Here is my thinking:
* Is the cord bad? Nope, I do not think so. I tried another USB-serial cord, and that did not do any better.
* Are the drivers old? Nope, they are the latest version.
* How about the PC? Not that either. I have had it working on two PCs ... but also (and most of the time) not working at all.
* Is this a problem with the basic package (that includes the VT100)? I can't really tell.
* Or is it a problem with the robot, or the firmware on it?

Has anybody else experienced this? Please help me save my sanity! :shock:
I bought a USB-serial cord to connect to the robot; updated the firmware; and installed Basic. Sometimes I can connect from VT100, but sometimes I get an error message "device not found". It is maddening. I cannot figure out where to start.

Here is my thinking:
* Is the cord bad? Nope, I do not think so. I tried another USB-serial cord, and that did not do any better.
* Are the drivers old? Nope, they are the latest version.
* How about the PC? Not that either. I have had it working on two PCs ... but also (and most of the time) not working at all.
* Is this a problem with the basic package (that includes the VT100)? I can't really tell.
* Or is it a problem with the robot, or the firmware on it?

Has anybody else experienced this? Please help me save my sanity! :shock:
MarkusJ offline

Re: Robobuilder 5720T -- VT100 connection problems

Post by l3v3rz » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:49 pm

Post by l3v3rz
Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:49 pm

how about posting a screenshot with the error message ? I assume its coming from the PC ? If so then it may be the virtual comm driver shifting to a different logical com when you turn the rbc off and on ? Hvae you tried connecting using putty ? do you get same message ?
how about posting a screenshot with the error message ? I assume its coming from the PC ? If so then it may be the virtual comm driver shifting to a different logical com when you turn the rbc off and on ? Hvae you tried connecting using putty ? do you get same message ?
l3v3rz offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by MarkusJ » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:31 pm

Post by MarkusJ
Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:31 pm

> how about posting a screenshot with the error message ?

Please see below.
Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (1).png (174.03 KiB) Viewed 18807 times

> I assume its coming from the PC ?

Yes, the error message is from the PC. It used to say the same thing for COM4, but trying to figure out whether there was any problem with the ports, I remapped them last night -- to no avail.

> If so then it may be the virtual comm driver shifting to a different logical com when you turn the rbc off and on ?

That sounds reasonable, but I do not know why, or how to avoid it.

> Hvae you tried connecting using putty ? do you get same message ?

I have not tried putty. If you think this may be a good bet, may I ask you to please point me in the right direction for that? I tried to quickly familiarize myself with putty, but I can't see how I would use it, or why it would help.

I really appreciate your help, and apologize if some of my questions have been addressed in the past. I read through posts much of yesterday, and could not find anything on this.

Cheers,
Markus
> how about posting a screenshot with the error message ?

Please see below.
Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (1).png (174.03 KiB) Viewed 18807 times

> I assume its coming from the PC ?

Yes, the error message is from the PC. It used to say the same thing for COM4, but trying to figure out whether there was any problem with the ports, I remapped them last night -- to no avail.

> If so then it may be the virtual comm driver shifting to a different logical com when you turn the rbc off and on ?

That sounds reasonable, but I do not know why, or how to avoid it.

> Hvae you tried connecting using putty ? do you get same message ?

I have not tried putty. If you think this may be a good bet, may I ask you to please point me in the right direction for that? I tried to quickly familiarize myself with putty, but I can't see how I would use it, or why it would help.

I really appreciate your help, and apologize if some of my questions have been addressed in the past. I read through posts much of yesterday, and could not find anything on this.

Cheers,
Markus
MarkusJ offline

Post by l3v3rz » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:32 am

Post by l3v3rz
Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:32 am

Hi,
that errors generated by the application and there are several potnetial reasons
1/ Can't connect to COM port#
2/ It can connect but doesn't get a response string from the Basic program
3/ The version returned is incompatible (i.e. basic version is too early a version)

I'll update the app with a better message but if you think the com port is correct, make sure the RBC unit is on and conncted and Basic is running. If this is the case then you can also connect putty (not at the same time) and you'll see the text prompt.
Get putty from here - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html
its a very small but powerful program.

BTW - did you really send this reply on 1st because it only appeared to me yesterday - a week later - so I'm wondering if theres something wrong with forum software

cheers
Hi,
that errors generated by the application and there are several potnetial reasons
1/ Can't connect to COM port#
2/ It can connect but doesn't get a response string from the Basic program
3/ The version returned is incompatible (i.e. basic version is too early a version)

I'll update the app with a better message but if you think the com port is correct, make sure the RBC unit is on and conncted and Basic is running. If this is the case then you can also connect putty (not at the same time) and you'll see the text prompt.
Get putty from here - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html
its a very small but powerful program.

BTW - did you really send this reply on 1st because it only appeared to me yesterday - a week later - so I'm wondering if theres something wrong with forum software

cheers
l3v3rz offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by l3v3rz » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:45 pm

Post by l3v3rz
Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:45 pm

Here is a version with an improved error message:

http://goo.gl/D0yPSF

This takes you too a public link on OneDrive . (The short URL is to help me track how many downloads). Please let me know if this works as I've not used public Onedrive folder before.

cheers
Here is a version with an improved error message:

http://goo.gl/D0yPSF

This takes you too a public link on OneDrive . (The short URL is to help me track how many downloads). Please let me know if this works as I've not used public Onedrive folder before.

cheers
l3v3rz offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

5 postsPage 1 of 1
5 postsPage 1 of 1