Robobuilder Documentation - RBC Protocol

Korean company maker of Robot kits and servos designed for of articulated robots. Re-incarnation of Megarobotics.
11 postsPage 1 of 1
11 postsPage 1 of 1

Robobuilder Documentation - RBC Protocol

Post by FriedV » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:44 am

Post by FriedV
Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:44 am

Hi,
I have analyzed the Robobuilder C# code for the Robobuilder DLL.
There are some commands that are not documented in Robobuilder RBC protocol document (i.e. read serial number).
Is there a COMPLETE documentation of the RBC Interface somewhere?
I think the documentation of the robobuilder system in general is poor, distributed over several sometimes not consistent files. For the price asked, this needs some improvement IMO.
Kind regards, Friedrich
Hi,
I have analyzed the Robobuilder C# code for the Robobuilder DLL.
There are some commands that are not documented in Robobuilder RBC protocol document (i.e. read serial number).
Is there a COMPLETE documentation of the RBC Interface somewhere?
I think the documentation of the robobuilder system in general is poor, distributed over several sometimes not consistent files. For the price asked, this needs some improvement IMO.
Kind regards, Friedrich
FriedV offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Re: Robobuilder Documentation - RBC Protocol

Post by FriedV » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:58 am

Post by FriedV
Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks very much!
I'm still working on the protocol interface, I'll post my results as I'm progressing....
Cheers, Friedrich
Thanks very much!
I'm still working on the protocol interface, I'll post my results as I'm progressing....
Cheers, Friedrich
FriedV offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by FriedV » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Post by FriedV
Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi,
I have made some progress on my Robobuilder Interface, but a have some strange effects:
I want to switch between direct and RBC mode. How long do those switches take?
I can send a chain of mixed RBC and wKC command, switching between the to modes.
When switching to DC (wCK) mode, I have to wait some 100msec before sending wCK commands.
When switching back to RBC mode, I need to send the Direct Control Mode release command twice
to make it work. Do you have some more insights on this?
Is the firmware program of the RBC (reverse engineered or orig. documentation) available somewhere for analysis?
Thanks, Friedrich
Hi,
I have made some progress on my Robobuilder Interface, but a have some strange effects:
I want to switch between direct and RBC mode. How long do those switches take?
I can send a chain of mixed RBC and wKC command, switching between the to modes.
When switching to DC (wCK) mode, I have to wait some 100msec before sending wCK commands.
When switching back to RBC mode, I need to send the Direct Control Mode release command twice
to make it work. Do you have some more insights on this?
Is the firmware program of the RBC (reverse engineered or orig. documentation) available somewhere for analysis?
Thanks, Friedrich
FriedV offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by l3v3rz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Post by l3v3rz
Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:08 pm

I found the same problem, which is why I created my custom firmware DCMP. Its compatible with DC mode on standard firmware (so motion builder s/w works), but you access the sensors ( IR, Acceleromter etc) via requests to servo 30, and hence no delay.

For details see here:

https://code.google.com/p/robobuilderlib/wiki/DCMP

Binaries and source available from the site as well
I found the same problem, which is why I created my custom firmware DCMP. Its compatible with DC mode on standard firmware (so motion builder s/w works), but you access the sensors ( IR, Acceleromter etc) via requests to servo 30, and hence no delay.

For details see here:

https://code.google.com/p/robobuilderlib/wiki/DCMP

Binaries and source available from the site as well
l3v3rz offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by FriedV » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Post by FriedV
Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks very much!
I have downloaded the firmware with no problems and will begin experimenting with it.
Cheers, Friedrich
Thanks very much!
I have downloaded the firmware with no problems and will begin experimenting with it.
Cheers, Friedrich
FriedV offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by FriedV » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:39 pm

Post by FriedV
Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi,
I'm working with DCMP now, all seems to be fine, but:
1. Version shows 3.12, shouldn't that be 3.51?
2.What are PSD on and PSD off commands for?
I always get the same results from Get PSD, wether it is on or off, and I have to call it twice, the first time it gives the last measured value, and then the up to date distance?
3. Charging does not seem to work. The procedure is to hold down PF2 while switching the RBC on?
If I'm doing that there is no effect, the RBC goes into normal startup. If I press both PF1 and PF2 while switching on, the unit hangs. I have attached my little VB2013 test bench. BTW I'm not using the library, but have written my own class.
Kind regards, Friedrich
Hi,
I'm working with DCMP now, all seems to be fine, but:
I always get the same results from Get PSD, wether it is on or off, and I have to call it twice, the first time it gives the last measured value, and then the up to date distance?
3. Charging does not seem to work. The procedure is to hold down PF2 while switching the RBC on?
If I'm doing that there is no effect, the RBC goes into normal startup. If I press both PF1 and PF2 while switching on, the unit hangs. I have attached my little VB2013 test bench. BTW I'm not using the library, but have written my own class.
Kind regards, Friedrich
Attachments
Robo_0.rar
VB 2013 Test Bench for RBC
(110.7 KiB) Downloaded 1451 times
FriedV offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by l3v3rz » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:00 pm

Post by l3v3rz
Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm working with DCMP now, all seems to be fine
>> Good ! And thanks for the feedback on the code.

>> The 351 is the build and 3.12 the protocol, so if I fix a bug but don't change protocol the number doesn't change.

I always get the same results from Get PSD, whether it is on or off, and I have to call it twice, the first time it gives the last measured value, and then the up to date distance?
>> PSD is powered and it takes 50ms to turn on (I think this is why mode switching in the standard firmware takes so long). So you can switch PSD on and then call Get PSD without delay. If PSD is off then Get PSD will turn it on on first call.

If I'm doing that there is no effect, the RBC goes into normal startup. If I press both PF1 and PF2 while switching on, the unit hangs.
>> Yes hold PF2 down on reboot.. Charging should output voltage its measuring to serial out, so you can put a tty like putty program and see what's going on. If its not connected to charger it should detect and immediately stop and also if already charged it will stop.. Also if you press both PF1 and PF2 it goes into an experimental "ascii mode" - just ignore that.

cheers
I'm working with DCMP now, all seems to be fine
>> Good ! And thanks for the feedback on the code.

>> The 351 is the build and 3.12 the protocol, so if I fix a bug but don't change protocol the number doesn't change.

I always get the same results from Get PSD, whether it is on or off, and I have to call it twice, the first time it gives the last measured value, and then the up to date distance?
>> PSD is powered and it takes 50ms to turn on (I think this is why mode switching in the standard firmware takes so long). So you can switch PSD on and then call Get PSD without delay. If PSD is off then Get PSD will turn it on on first call.

If I'm doing that there is no effect, the RBC goes into normal startup. If I press both PF1 and PF2 while switching on, the unit hangs.
>> Yes hold PF2 down on reboot.. Charging should output voltage its measuring to serial out, so you can put a tty like putty program and see what's going on. If its not connected to charger it should detect and immediately stop and also if already charged it will stop.. Also if you press both PF1 and PF2 it goes into an experimental "ascii mode" - just ignore that.

cheers
l3v3rz offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by FriedV » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:34 am

Post by FriedV
Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:34 am

Hello,
I've tried out what you suggested concerning the charging. The routine seems to hang in an endless loop (see attachment). The source code I found in the www seems to be older (3.10), the battery test routines seem different.
I wish you a Merry Xmas!
Friedrich from Germany
Hello,
I've tried out what you suggested concerning the charging. The routine seems to hang in an endless loop (see attachment). The source code I found in the www seems to be older (3.10), the battery test routines seem different.
I wish you a Merry Xmas!
Friedrich from Germany
Attachments
source.zip
(26.49 KiB) Downloaded 924 times
term.jpg
term.jpg (27.48 KiB) Viewed 30049 times
FriedV offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by l3v3rz » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:55 am

Post by l3v3rz
Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:55 am

This is not what I get when I use firmware and press (but not hold down) PF2 when booting.

Did you build it yourself or use the pre-built firmware ? (http://robobuilderlib.googlecode.com/files/DCMP351.hex)

This is what I get ? (which matches the source code)

Code: Select all
$Rev: 351 $)
charge mode - testing
9291 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
Plugged in - charging
00:05 short 40ms charge pulses
00:10 short 40ms charge pulses
00:15 short 40ms charge pulses

-
This is not what I get when I use firmware and press (but not hold down) PF2 when booting.

Did you build it yourself or use the pre-built firmware ? (http://robobuilderlib.googlecode.com/files/DCMP351.hex)

This is what I get ? (which matches the source code)

Code: Select all
$Rev: 351 $)
charge mode - testing
9291 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
10203 mV
Plugged in - charging
00:05 short 40ms charge pulses
00:15 short 40ms charge pulses

-
l3v3rz offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by FriedV » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:39 am

Post by FriedV
Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:39 am

No, I rechecked everything and I'm still stuck.
When I reboot the RBC (RBC - 08128NYN) and hold down PF2 while booting, I get the above result.
The power leds are all sequentially flashing, pf1 and pf2 leds also. (NC Battery and external power is connected).
When I press PF2 only once during boot, I don't get any response on the serial line, the RBC goes into normal operation and shows heartbeat.
I used the firmware hex file from your mail, I didn't do any build of my own.
No, I rechecked everything and I'm still stuck.
When I reboot the RBC (RBC - 08128NYN) and hold down PF2 while booting, I get the above result.
The power leds are all sequentially flashing, pf1 and pf2 leds also. (NC Battery and external power is connected).
When I press PF2 only once during boot, I don't get any response on the serial line, the RBC goes into normal operation and shows heartbeat.
I used the firmware hex file from your mail, I didn't do any build of my own.
FriedV offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

11 postsPage 1 of 1
11 postsPage 1 of 1