Roboard Sample Code for Bioloid / Dynamixel Servos

Based on DMP's Vortex processor / SoC this board is a full computer capable of running a standard Windows and Linux installation on the backpack of your robot.
3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1

Roboard Sample Code for Bioloid / Dynamixel Servos

Post by PedroR » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:10 pm

Post by PedroR
Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi

Please find bellow some sample code for interfacing the Roboard with the Bioloid or Dynamixel servos.

Please note that for Dynamixel servos you don't need to use a USB2Dynamixel on the Roboard as it already includes COMM ports at TTL level for AX 12 and an RS485 port for the high power servos. (if you really want you can still use USB2Dynamixel as the roboard has USB ports...)

This is the transcript from the manufacturer instructions on using the Roboard with the Bioloid:
"RoBoard can connect with AX-12 via COM3 (short TX & RX) or COM4.
(for high power servos use COM2 that is RS485)

Using COM3, we will receive every packet that we send, before receiving the return packet of AX-12.

Using COM4, we must switch the RTS state to control the direction of the data line (i.e., TXRX4 pin); in particular, we should first set RTS = 1 to send the command packet, and, after ensuring that the packet has been sent out by H/W, we should set RTS = 0 to receive the return packet of AX-12.

In WinXP, it is not suggested to use COM4. This is due to the following
facts: 1. it is difficult in WinXP to ensure whether all data have been flushed out by H/W using standard Win32 API; 2. it is also difficult to guarantee the correct timing for switching RTS because the timing may be affected by thread/process context-switching. The sample code provides some heuristics to tackle the two issues.

The sample code assumes that AX-12's ID = 01 and its buadrate = 115200."

The sample code can be downloaded here: http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/Rob ... 2_code.zip

It includes sample code to use COM3 and COM4. The code was written for Windows XP and .Net framework 3 and implements some techniques to guaratee correct communication timings.
I'm sure that it can also be ported to Linux (or at least you can learn from it to port it ;) )

Regards
Pedro.
Hi

Please find bellow some sample code for interfacing the Roboard with the Bioloid or Dynamixel servos.

Please note that for Dynamixel servos you don't need to use a USB2Dynamixel on the Roboard as it already includes COMM ports at TTL level for AX 12 and an RS485 port for the high power servos. (if you really want you can still use USB2Dynamixel as the roboard has USB ports...)

This is the transcript from the manufacturer instructions on using the Roboard with the Bioloid:
"RoBoard can connect with AX-12 via COM3 (short TX & RX) or COM4.
(for high power servos use COM2 that is RS485)

Using COM3, we will receive every packet that we send, before receiving the return packet of AX-12.

Using COM4, we must switch the RTS state to control the direction of the data line (i.e., TXRX4 pin); in particular, we should first set RTS = 1 to send the command packet, and, after ensuring that the packet has been sent out by H/W, we should set RTS = 0 to receive the return packet of AX-12.

In WinXP, it is not suggested to use COM4. This is due to the following
facts: 1. it is difficult in WinXP to ensure whether all data have been flushed out by H/W using standard Win32 API; 2. it is also difficult to guarantee the correct timing for switching RTS because the timing may be affected by thread/process context-switching. The sample code provides some heuristics to tackle the two issues.

The sample code assumes that AX-12's ID = 01 and its buadrate = 115200."

The sample code can be downloaded here: http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/Rob ... 2_code.zip

It includes sample code to use COM3 and COM4. The code was written for Windows XP and .Net framework 3 and implements some techniques to guaratee correct communication timings.
I'm sure that it can also be ported to Linux (or at least you can learn from it to port it ;) )

Regards
Pedro.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Re: Roboard Sample Code for Bioloid / Dynamixel Servos

Post by roboard » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:05 am

Post by roboard
Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:05 am

New sample codes for AX-12 & RX-28 can now be downloaded from http://www.roboard.com/Code.htm

In additional, the "Dynamixel SDK for RoBoard" package includes tutorials for connecting RoBoard with AX-12 & RX-28.

:)
New sample codes for AX-12 & RX-28 can now be downloaded from http://www.roboard.com/Code.htm

In additional, the "Dynamixel SDK for RoBoard" package includes tutorials for connecting RoBoard with AX-12 & RX-28.

:)
roboard offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

error : I / O library fails to initialize

Post by katze » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Post by katze
Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:59 pm

hi ..
how to move the ax-12 uses roboard rb-110, I already download the example programs in www.roboard.com/ and also have followed the steps using the library RoBoIO1.8 using visual studio 2008 in winxp, after I run the program and then perform the error : I / O library fails to initialize ...

What should I do?

thank you
hi ..
how to move the ax-12 uses roboard rb-110, I already download the example programs in www.roboard.com/ and also have followed the steps using the library RoBoIO1.8 using visual studio 2008 in winxp, after I run the program and then perform the error : I / O library fails to initialize ...

What should I do?

thank you
katze offline

3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1