ROS & Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Based on DMP's Vortex processor / SoC this board is a full computer capable of running a standard Windows and Linux installation on the backpack of your robot.
6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1

ROS & Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Post by jpatek » Tue May 10, 2011 3:53 am

Post by jpatek
Tue May 10, 2011 3:53 am

I have been trying to get ROS (Robot Operating System) installed on one of my RoBoards similarly to Taylor Veltrop. I ran into a few difficulties and while fixing them have created a new install of Ubuntu on the RoBoard. As I was tinkering with this, I ended up building a light fast install based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server with the newest Vortex86 kernel installed. I put X on it and installed Awesome window manager (very small, light and can be run with or w/o a mouse). I have ROS Diamondback installed (and working) and the RoBoIO v1.7 library compiled and installed as a Shared Library (RoBoIO.so). Works like a champ ... low memory and processor load and is only 2.75 GB on an 8 GB partition. I have made a CloneZilla image of it and thought if anyone was interested I would post it on my server for download. With CloneZilla it is very easy to install to the RoBoard with a 2 GB USB stick (the image is 1.1 GB). You just install CloneZilla to to the USB stick, copy the image to the /home/partimg directory, boot on the USB and follow the instructions. The image is for an 8 GB disk, so you will need at least an 8 GB microSD card.
jim
I have been trying to get ROS (Robot Operating System) installed on one of my RoBoards similarly to Taylor Veltrop. I ran into a few difficulties and while fixing them have created a new install of Ubuntu on the RoBoard. As I was tinkering with this, I ended up building a light fast install based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server with the newest Vortex86 kernel installed. I put X on it and installed Awesome window manager (very small, light and can be run with or w/o a mouse). I have ROS Diamondback installed (and working) and the RoBoIO v1.7 library compiled and installed as a Shared Library (RoBoIO.so). Works like a champ ... low memory and processor load and is only 2.75 GB on an 8 GB partition. I have made a CloneZilla image of it and thought if anyone was interested I would post it on my server for download. With CloneZilla it is very easy to install to the RoBoard with a 2 GB USB stick (the image is 1.1 GB). You just install CloneZilla to to the USB stick, copy the image to the /home/partimg directory, boot on the USB and follow the instructions. The image is for an 8 GB disk, so you will need at least an 8 GB microSD card.
jim
jpatek offline

Re: ROS & Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Post by roboard » Tue May 10, 2011 7:30 am

Post by roboard
Tue May 10, 2011 7:30 am

Hi, jpatek,

we can put/mirror your image on RoBoard website as an excellent user contribution.

:)
Hi, jpatek,

we can put/mirror your image on RoBoard website as an excellent user contribution.

roboard offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Re: ROS & Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Post by roboard » Fri May 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Post by roboard
Fri May 13, 2011 1:34 pm

To everyone,

jpatek's Ubuntu + ROS image for RoBoard can now be downloaded from RoBoard website:

http://www.roboard.com/Code.htm

(in User Contributions -> J.M. Patek's Work)

To everyone,

jpatek's Ubuntu + ROS image for RoBoard can now be downloaded from RoBoard website:

http://www.roboard.com/Code.htm

(in User Contributions -> J.M. Patek's Work)

roboard offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by aether.robotics » Wed May 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Post by aether.robotics
Wed May 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Has anyone got this working yet? I'm trying but looking into it it seems it wants to partition the microSD card over 8Gb...It wants the swap space to be 14 thousand Tb.......lol can't be right?

Thanks
Chris
Has anyone got this working yet? I'm trying but looking into it it seems it wants to partition the microSD card over 8Gb...It wants the swap space to be 14 thousand Tb.......lol can't be right?

Thanks
Chris
aether.robotics offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by roboard » Fri May 27, 2011 4:48 am

Post by roboard
Fri May 27, 2011 4:48 am

aether.robotics wrote:Has anyone got this working yet? I'm trying but looking into it it seems it wants to partition the microSD card over 8Gb...It wants the swap space to be 14 thousand Tb.......lol can't be right?

Hi,

We used an 8GB MicroSD card and followed jpatek's "readme.txt" to download the newest Clonezilla to restore his image successfully.

You may download the newest Clonezilla to try again:

http://clonezilla.org/

aether.robotics wrote:Has anyone got this working yet? I'm trying but looking into it it seems it wants to partition the microSD card over 8Gb...It wants the swap space to be 14 thousand Tb.......lol can't be right?

Hi,

We used an 8GB MicroSD card and followed jpatek's "readme.txt" to download the newest Clonezilla to restore his image successfully.

You may download the newest Clonezilla to try again:

http://clonezilla.org/

roboard offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by ianphil397 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 pm

Post by ianphil397
Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 pm

Is there another download link for this build? The link from the RoBoard website has been disabled.
Is there another download link for this build? The link from the RoBoard website has been disabled.
ianphil397 offline

6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1