Lubuntu

Based on DMP's Vortex processor / SoC this board is a full computer capable of running a standard Windows and Linux installation on the backpack of your robot.
15 postsPage 1 of 1
15 postsPage 1 of 1

Lubuntu

Post by roboard » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Post by roboard
Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:50 pm

To everyone who feels that the official Ubuntu runs very slowly on RoBoard, you may want to try the Lubuntu branch of Ubuntu:

http://lubuntu.net/

Lubuntu requires much less memory and runs much faster on RoBoard in contrast to the official Ubuntu release. (We suggest that you use Lubuntu 10.04 (LTS) on RoBoard; don't use 11.04 because it isn't compatible to i386~i586 PC.)

:)
To everyone who feels that the official Ubuntu runs very slowly on RoBoard, you may want to try the Lubuntu branch of Ubuntu:

http://lubuntu.net/

Lubuntu requires much less memory and runs much faster on RoBoard in contrast to the official Ubuntu release. (We suggest that you use Lubuntu 10.04 (LTS) on RoBoard; don't use 11.04 because it isn't compatible to i386~i586 PC.)

roboard offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by ozfiddler » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:56 am

Post by ozfiddler
Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:56 am

Do you know if Lubuntu will work with the eBox 3350, and also whether the installation includes ethernet support? All I want is an OS that will connect to the internet without having to wrangle with grubs and kernels and a lot of new jargon.
Do you know if Lubuntu will work with the eBox 3350, and also whether the installation includes ethernet support? All I want is an OS that will connect to the internet without having to wrangle with grubs and kernels and a lot of new jargon.
ozfiddler offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by roboard » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Post by roboard
Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:42 pm

ozfiddler wrote:Do you know if Lubuntu will work with the eBox 3350, and also whether the installation includes ethernet support? ...

In our test, Lubuntu works on eBox 3350, and basically you can follow the RB-110 Ubuntu installation guide to install Lubuntu on the eBox (of course, not every step and screen are the same, but is the principle).

ozfiddler wrote:Do you know if Lubuntu will work with the eBox 3350, and also whether the installation includes ethernet support? ...

In our test, Lubuntu works on eBox 3350, and basically you can follow the RB-110 Ubuntu installation guide to install Lubuntu on the eBox (of course, not every step and screen are the same, but is the principle).

roboard offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by ozfiddler » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Post by ozfiddler
Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:05 pm

OK thanks. I've got it working nicely with XP at the moment, but I'll get myself another SD card and try it with Lubuntu some time.
OK thanks. I've got it working nicely with XP at the moment, but I'll get myself another SD card and try it with Lubuntu some time.
ozfiddler offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Re: Lubuntu

Post by roboard » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:41 pm

Post by roboard
Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi all,

currently we provide a Lubuntu (a lightweight Linux and a branch of Ubuntu) 10.04LTS demo image for every RoBoard in http://www.roboard.com/download_ml.htm

Features for this demo image are:

1. memory usage and disk access optimized for RoBoard
2. support COM1~COM4 of RoBoard
3. default COM1 serial console for RB-050
4. support USB camera and VT6655 WiFi
5. remote desktop is allowed

Try it if you don't know how to install Lubuntu on RoBoard.

Remarks: It doesn't include OpenCV, ROS, and RoBoIO in order to reduce the iso size; but it should not be difficult to install them by yourself.

Hi all,

currently we provide a Lubuntu (a lightweight Linux and a branch of Ubuntu) 10.04LTS demo image for every RoBoard in http://www.roboard.com/download_ml.htm

Features for this demo image are:

1. memory usage and disk access optimized for RoBoard
2. support COM1~COM4 of RoBoard
3. default COM1 serial console for RB-050
4. support USB camera and VT6655 WiFi
5. remote desktop is allowed

Try it if you don't know how to install Lubuntu on RoBoard.

Remarks: It doesn't include OpenCV, ROS, and RoBoIO in order to reduce the iso size; but it should not be difficult to install them by yourself.

roboard offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by kestor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:04 pm

Post by kestor
Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:04 pm

Just wanted to say a big thanks for the Lubuntu setup instructions. I have about 95% of it working now on my Roboard - 110. I am really liking the Xing/Putty interface.

At this time I only have the Xing/Putty working through LAN. I am struggling a bit with the VT6655 WiFi card. On unplugging the VGA and inserting the WiFi card I can boot up and still connect up through the Wired LAN connection.

I have issued the iwlist scanning command can see the various networks and grabbed the settings, in my case
eth9
channel 1
managed
etc...

I have entered these settings into /etc/network/interfaces file (I noticed that by default the settings in there wher REM'd out, so I removed the '#' from the beginning of each row and put the settings in (including the wireless WPA2 key). Also alterred the manager-settings.conf file to show as eth9 for wireless_interfaces.

Saved the settings.
Reboot the device, removing the LAN wired cable and leaving the VT6655 in.
But I am not seeing the device show up. I have a ping running on the same IP as it was for Wired LAN but something is amiss, I do not see any responses. If I reboot the device with the wired LAN plugged back in everything is good again. Any gotchas I might be missing?

thanks
Just wanted to say a big thanks for the Lubuntu setup instructions. I have about 95% of it working now on my Roboard - 110. I am really liking the Xing/Putty interface.

At this time I only have the Xing/Putty working through LAN. I am struggling a bit with the VT6655 WiFi card. On unplugging the VGA and inserting the WiFi card I can boot up and still connect up through the Wired LAN connection.

I have issued the iwlist scanning command can see the various networks and grabbed the settings, in my case
eth9
channel 1
managed
etc...

I have entered these settings into /etc/network/interfaces file (I noticed that by default the settings in there wher REM'd out, so I removed the '#' from the beginning of each row and put the settings in (including the wireless WPA2 key). Also alterred the manager-settings.conf file to show as eth9 for wireless_interfaces.

Saved the settings.
Reboot the device, removing the LAN wired cable and leaving the VT6655 in.
But I am not seeing the device show up. I have a ping running on the same IP as it was for Wired LAN but something is amiss, I do not see any responses. If I reboot the device with the wired LAN plugged back in everything is good again. Any gotchas I might be missing?

thanks
kestor offline

Post by acentw » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:47 am

Post by acentw
Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:47 am

hi, kestor

The Lubuntu is running on my RoBoard RB-110. The wicd (LAN manager in Lubuntu) seem not to switch form wire to wireless automatically when i plug them together on RoBoard and then only remove LAN wired cable. But it works fine after rebooting with "only" VT6655 wireless device.(i has saved the settings in advance)
You can try it again.
hi, kestor

The Lubuntu is running on my RoBoard RB-110. The wicd (LAN manager in Lubuntu) seem not to switch form wire to wireless automatically when i plug them together on RoBoard and then only remove LAN wired cable. But it works fine after rebooting with "only" VT6655 wireless device.(i has saved the settings in advance)
You can try it again.
acentw offline

Post by ozfiddler » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:29 pm

Post by ozfiddler
Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:29 pm

I've tried to download the Lubuntu iso a number of times but I just keep getting:

Error (509)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!
I've tried to download the Lubuntu iso a number of times but I just keep getting:

Error (509)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!
ozfiddler offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by roboard » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:13 am

Post by roboard
Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:13 am

ozfiddler wrote:...Error (509)

Hi, you can email to tech@roboard.com to ask a mirror address.

(ps: everyone is welcome to mirror the RoBoard Lubuntu demo image.)
ozfiddler wrote:...Error (509)

Hi, you can email to tech@roboard.com to ask a mirror address.

(ps: everyone is welcome to mirror the RoBoard Lubuntu demo image.)
roboard offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by hellu » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Post by hellu
Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:11 pm

How can i install ROBOIO in the default libraries folder in gcc? Not to run that makefile with the different includes?
How can i install ROBOIO in the default libraries folder in gcc? Not to run that makefile with the different includes?
hellu offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by mbj » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:08 pm

Post by mbj
Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi.

I installed Lubuntu 10.04 on my Roboard-110 correctly, and later I'm trying to install Xenomai on it (modifiying properly the kernel, following these guide http://www.haydnweb.co.za/2011/07/insta ... rd-rb-110/).

Firstly I used the kernel proposed in the above web without any exit. Now, I'm trying to compile my own kernel using the 2.6.35.9 Kernel and the same version of the Adeos patch. The Xenomai version is the 2.6. After three hours compiling it, I'm having a lot of compilation errors. It is possible to patch a Kernel starting from the Lubuntu 10.04 as I'm trying? It is necessary use a concrete kernel version to got it?

Thanks you very much.
Hi.

I installed Lubuntu 10.04 on my Roboard-110 correctly, and later I'm trying to install Xenomai on it (modifiying properly the kernel, following these guide http://www.haydnweb.co.za/2011/07/insta ... rd-rb-110/).

Firstly I used the kernel proposed in the above web without any exit. Now, I'm trying to compile my own kernel using the 2.6.35.9 Kernel and the same version of the Adeos patch. The Xenomai version is the 2.6. After three hours compiling it, I'm having a lot of compilation errors. It is possible to patch a Kernel starting from the Lubuntu 10.04 as I'm trying? It is necessary use a concrete kernel version to got it?

Thanks you very much.
mbj offline

Post by Marsman » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Post by Marsman
Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Yes, they see me the following link which works fine:

https://mega.co.nz/#!H55AnSYD!ECKPxF5QU ... nL_emvq7EE
Yes, they see me the following link which works fine:

https://mega.co.nz/#!H55AnSYD!ECKPxF5QU ... nL_emvq7EE
Marsman offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by JasonRain » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:51 am

Post by JasonRain
Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:51 am

Just wanted to say a big thanks for the Lubuntu setup instructions.
Just wanted to say a big thanks for the Lubuntu setup instructions.
JasonRain offline

Post by raimrmt » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:09 am

Post by raimrmt
Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:09 am

OK thanks :D :D
OK thanks :D :D
raimrmt offline

Re: Lubuntu

Post by Robert Webber » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:06 pm

Post by Robert Webber
Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:06 pm

I totally recommend this distribution for all those who use netbook ike PC’s with very low memory and processors. You can use a fully powered linux system with minimum resources. If already tried XFCE, try this one too. This is much better than that.
I totally recommend this distribution for all those who use netbook ike PC’s with very low memory and processors. You can use a fully powered linux system with minimum resources. If already tried XFCE, try this one too. This is much better than that.
Robert Webber offline

15 postsPage 1 of 1
15 postsPage 1 of 1