Guide: Installing Ubuntu Linux 10.04LTS on eBox 33xxMX &

Based on DMP's Vortex processor / SoC this board is a full computer capable of running a standard Windows and Linux installation on the backpack of your robot.
33 postsPage 2 of 31, 2, 3

Post by PedroR » Wed May 02, 2012 11:29 am

Post by PedroR
Wed May 02, 2012 11:29 am

Hi PierreB

The error you are seeing is probably caused by the installer of the Ubuntu Server.

"No Installable kernel was found in the defined APT source" seems like an error from the installer informing that no suitable kernel could be found and is going to be installed.

This may be because the the processor architecture is listed as "Vortex" and the isntaller finds no suitable kernel for this architecture in its APT source.

So I am assuming the installer is only installing the memtest86 option and since there is no other kernel installed GRUB boots the memtest86 by default.

There are several ways/suggestions to work around the issue:

1) You can probably still take your installation (that's booting to memtest86 by default) and fix it by doing the following:

- Burn an Ubuntu LIVE CD
- Insert the SD card with your installation (the one that's booting to memtest)
- Turn on the eBox and boot from the Ubuntu LIVE CD
- Once you boot, open a console window
- Now that you have console, run the Post installation procedures to install the DMP kernel. See the installation instructions on the first post to learn what files should be downloaded and what commands need to be ran.

Once you've ran the post installation procedures and installed the DMP kernel, you should now be able to boot from the SD card as the kernel should now have been installed.
(if you're still having issues with GRUB check the tips here http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP ... NSTALL.htm ; you can use the LIVE CD as well to get tot he necessary files )

2)
The other thing you may check is if there is a way - in the Ubuntu Server Installation process - to force the kernel that you want to install.
It seems to be auto detecting and si failing. The kernel you want to force install is the "i386" and then run the post install process to replace the kernel.

3)
Finally if 2) doesn't work either, then you need to do what DMP calls a "transplanted installation"

In this scenario you install a Virtual Machine on your computer, install Linux to the Virtual Machine, run the post install process (to install the Linux Kernel) and finally get a complete/"transplanted" installation on the SD card. The SD card will then be ready to insert on the eBox and boot with your OS installed.

A very comprehensive Installation Manual explaining how to do this can be found here http://www.roboard.com/Files/RB-100/Ins ... oBoard.zip (you will want the file named "Install Ubuntu on RoBoard RB-100&RB-110 (VirtualBox).pdf" that's inside the main ZIP file)
The manual is for Roboard which is a sister product of eBox with the same architecture; therefore the instructions should apply in the same manner.

I am confident that point 1) above will be enough to fix your issue. We've had customers with bootloader issues similar to yours who were able to overcome them by using the LIVE CD and running the Post installation procedures to install the DMP kernel.

Kind Regards
Pedro.
Hi PierreB

The error you are seeing is probably caused by the installer of the Ubuntu Server.

"No Installable kernel was found in the defined APT source" seems like an error from the installer informing that no suitable kernel could be found and is going to be installed.

This may be because the the processor architecture is listed as "Vortex" and the isntaller finds no suitable kernel for this architecture in its APT source.

So I am assuming the installer is only installing the memtest86 option and since there is no other kernel installed GRUB boots the memtest86 by default.

There are several ways/suggestions to work around the issue:

1) You can probably still take your installation (that's booting to memtest86 by default) and fix it by doing the following:

- Burn an Ubuntu LIVE CD
- Insert the SD card with your installation (the one that's booting to memtest)
- Turn on the eBox and boot from the Ubuntu LIVE CD
- Once you boot, open a console window
- Now that you have console, run the Post installation procedures to install the DMP kernel. See the installation instructions on the first post to learn what files should be downloaded and what commands need to be ran.

Once you've ran the post installation procedures and installed the DMP kernel, you should now be able to boot from the SD card as the kernel should now have been installed.
(if you're still having issues with GRUB check the tips here http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP ... NSTALL.htm ; you can use the LIVE CD as well to get tot he necessary files )

2)
The other thing you may check is if there is a way - in the Ubuntu Server Installation process - to force the kernel that you want to install.
It seems to be auto detecting and si failing. The kernel you want to force install is the "i386" and then run the post install process to replace the kernel.

3)
Finally if 2) doesn't work either, then you need to do what DMP calls a "transplanted installation"

In this scenario you install a Virtual Machine on your computer, install Linux to the Virtual Machine, run the post install process (to install the Linux Kernel) and finally get a complete/"transplanted" installation on the SD card. The SD card will then be ready to insert on the eBox and boot with your OS installed.

A very comprehensive Installation Manual explaining how to do this can be found here http://www.roboard.com/Files/RB-100/Ins ... oBoard.zip (you will want the file named "Install Ubuntu on RoBoard RB-100&RB-110 (VirtualBox).pdf" that's inside the main ZIP file)
The manual is for Roboard which is a sister product of eBox with the same architecture; therefore the instructions should apply in the same manner.

I am confident that point 1) above will be enough to fix your issue. We've had customers with bootloader issues similar to yours who were able to overcome them by using the LIVE CD and running the Post installation procedures to install the DMP kernel.

Kind Regards
Pedro.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

error during reboot after kernel install

Post by matterest » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Post by matterest
Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:00 pm

i keep geting 3 errors after installing the dmp kernel i think the frst 2 are warnings but the 3rd says
"
[1.303625] kernel panic - not syncing: VFS : unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
i keep geting 3 errors after installing the dmp kernel i think the frst 2 are warnings but the 3rd says
"
[1.303625] kernel panic - not syncing: VFS : unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
matterest offline

Post by PedroR » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:59 am

Post by PedroR
Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:59 am

Hi matterest

I would put my money on an issue with the SD card.

Can you clarify what SD card you are using?
- Brand and model
- Is this a Full Size SD card or microSD with an adapter to full size SD card?

Additionally which Kernel file did you use AND how did you install it?
(ie did you follow the command line rpocedures or did you try to install it using a package manager)?

Thx
Pedro.
Hi matterest

I would put my money on an issue with the SD card.

Can you clarify what SD card you are using?
- Brand and model
- Is this a Full Size SD card or microSD with an adapter to full size SD card?

Additionally which Kernel file did you use AND how did you install it?
(ie did you follow the command line rpocedures or did you try to install it using a package manager)?

Thx
Pedro.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

I tried command line install but

Post by matterest » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:16 pm

Post by matterest
Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:16 pm

When i try to install via command line in it gives me a dpkg error so I installed it with a graphical installer, I have since reinstalled the os and still can't get the kerenl to install
When i try to install via command line in it gives me a dpkg error so I installed it with a graphical installer, I have since reinstalled the os and still can't get the kerenl to install
matterest offline

Post by PedroR » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Post by PedroR
Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi matterest

I would suggest that you read past posts on this thread because someone has already had the exact same issue. 8see the post of user "smg" on the previous page http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0 )

Installing the kernel via a Graphical package manager WON'T work.

You need to do it through command line and follow the appropriate instructions and steps. ( see the document listed on the main Installation Instructions: http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP ... NSTALL.htm )

It is also explained in past posts that it is normal to see some warnings (not errors) when installing the kernel file.

You haven't clarified where you downloaded the kernel and what SD card you are using.

So far 100% of HDD related errors are caused by poor quality or defective SD cards.

Rgds
Pedro.
Hi matterest

I would suggest that you read past posts on this thread because someone has already had the exact same issue. 8see the post of user "smg" on the previous page http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0 )

Installing the kernel via a Graphical package manager WON'T work.

You need to do it through command line and follow the appropriate instructions and steps. ( see the document listed on the main Installation Instructions: http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP ... NSTALL.htm )

It is also explained in past posts that it is normal to see some warnings (not errors) when installing the kernel file.

You haven't clarified where you downloaded the kernel and what SD card you are using.

So far 100% of HDD related errors are caused by poor quality or defective SD cards.

Rgds
Pedro.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Fixing Power Off/Shutdown on Ebox 33xxMX

Post by PedroR » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Post by PedroR
Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi all

Just a quick stop to share some additional information that we came across.

In case you're using Ubuntun 10.04 (or apparently any system with the GRUB2 bootloader), you may experience symptoms where the eBox will not automatically Power Off when you select the "Shutdown" option.

If this is your case, DMP has published some information about a workaround that can be found here:
http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP ... 33xxMX.doc

Basically you will need to edit the GRUB configuration file to modify a couple of lines.

The procedures need to be ran as the "root" user and should be followed with caution as the GRUB configuration file is responsible for correctly booting of the eBox.

Regards
Pedro
Hi all

Just a quick stop to share some additional information that we came across.

In case you're using Ubuntun 10.04 (or apparently any system with the GRUB2 bootloader), you may experience symptoms where the eBox will not automatically Power Off when you select the "Shutdown" option.

If this is your case, DMP has published some information about a workaround that can be found here:
http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP ... 33xxMX.doc

Basically you will need to edit the GRUB configuration file to modify a couple of lines.

The procedures need to be ran as the "root" user and should be followed with caution as the GRUB configuration file is responsible for correctly booting of the eBox.

Regards
Pedro
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by zenbooster » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:27 pm

Post by zenbooster
Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:27 pm

Is it possible to upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

P.S.:
And, where to get the appropriate kernel?
Is it possible to upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

P.S.:
And, where to get the appropriate kernel?
zenbooster offline

Post by PedroR » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:48 pm

Post by PedroR
Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi Zenbooster

As stated on the Linux install guide: http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7482

"KeyboardPC, eBox of 33xxMX series are based on the Vortex86MX/Vortex86MX+ processors.
These processors do not support the full i686 instruction set (they are i586). This means, for example, that Ubuntu versions after 10.04 don't work "

Therefore Ubuntu 12.04 is not supported on eBox devices.

Regarding the kernel, the currently recommended kernel is the one also mentioned on the install Guide (2.6.34.10) which can be downloaded here http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP ... 2_i386.zip

Installation instructions for the kernel can be found on the Install Guide as well and also here http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP ... NSTALL.htm

Regards
Hi Zenbooster

As stated on the Linux install guide: http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7482

"KeyboardPC, eBox of 33xxMX series are based on the Vortex86MX/Vortex86MX+ processors.
These processors do not support the full i686 instruction set (they are i586). This means, for example, that Ubuntu versions after 10.04 don't work "

Therefore Ubuntu 12.04 is not supported on eBox devices.

Regarding the kernel, the currently recommended kernel is the one also mentioned on the install Guide (2.6.34.10) which can be downloaded here http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP ... 2_i386.zip

Installation instructions for the kernel can be found on the Install Guide as well and also here http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP ... NSTALL.htm

Regards
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

SD card not being detected during partitioning step

Post by solstice » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:31 am

Post by solstice
Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:31 am

Was trying to follow the guide exactly until I ran into an issue trying to install Ubuntu Server 10.04.4 i386 on my eBox 3350MX-AP. I want to install the OS on my Kingston 8GB class 10 SDHC card as my non-volatile secondary storage. When I reach the partitioning step, it does not detect any available devices to create a mounting point. I tried formatting the SD card as FAT32 on my laptop and making the only partition a primary partition. Somehow my laptop was able to recognize the SD card, but it seems that the eBox isn't detecting it. Is it possible that I need to update the BIOS maybe? Or maybe the installer is buggy so perhaps I should try an older release for Ubuntu Server. The problem doesn't seem to be my SD card since my Windows laptop detects it as a removable device. I hope I provided enough information, if not, let me know. Any suggestions on how to go about this? Much thanks in advance!
Was trying to follow the guide exactly until I ran into an issue trying to install Ubuntu Server 10.04.4 i386 on my eBox 3350MX-AP. I want to install the OS on my Kingston 8GB class 10 SDHC card as my non-volatile secondary storage. When I reach the partitioning step, it does not detect any available devices to create a mounting point. I tried formatting the SD card as FAT32 on my laptop and making the only partition a primary partition. Somehow my laptop was able to recognize the SD card, but it seems that the eBox isn't detecting it. Is it possible that I need to update the BIOS maybe? Or maybe the installer is buggy so perhaps I should try an older release for Ubuntu Server. The problem doesn't seem to be my SD card since my Windows laptop detects it as a removable device. I hope I provided enough information, if not, let me know. Any suggestions on how to go about this? Much thanks in advance!
solstice offline

Post by PedroR » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:04 am

Post by PedroR
Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:04 am

You should check if the SD card is being recognized by the BIOS when it boots.

When you turn on your eBox, press F11 to enter BIOS setup and check if the SD card is listed in the IDE devices.

If not, then it's not being recognized by the BIOS.

Formatting the SD card makes no difference in terms of detection so it's not meaningful for troubleshooting purposes if you format it as FAT32, NTFS or other.

If the SD card is not recognized by the BIOS, you should check that you have it correctly inserted.
The SD card goes in upside down. Forcing the SD card in the wrong position can result in breaking the SD card connector inside the box.

The other thing I recommend is trying another SD card just for the purpose of testing. Users usually have some other SD card (from a camera or something) that can be used for testing.

Regards
Pedro.
You should check if the SD card is being recognized by the BIOS when it boots.

When you turn on your eBox, press F11 to enter BIOS setup and check if the SD card is listed in the IDE devices.

Formatting the SD card makes no difference in terms of detection so it's not meaningful for troubleshooting purposes if you format it as FAT32, NTFS or other.

If the SD card is not recognized by the BIOS, you should check that you have it correctly inserted.
The SD card goes in upside down. Forcing the SD card in the wrong position can result in breaking the SD card connector inside the box.

The other thing I recommend is trying another SD card just for the purpose of testing. Users usually have some other SD card (from a camera or something) that can be used for testing.

Regards
Pedro.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by solstice » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Post by solstice
Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:34 pm

I see. I was worried that might be the case....dang. Thanks for the feedback Pedro.
I see. I was worried that might be the case....dang. Thanks for the feedback Pedro.
solstice offline

Post by lucyming » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:51 am

Post by lucyming
Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:51 am

lucyming offline

how to make the CD

Post by Sigmac » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Post by Sigmac
Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi there
Have just received my eBox 3350mx and want to install Ubunto.
Your guide tells to use the CD, here is my issue, there is no ISO to make a CD whit?? (I'm a windows man)
Is there a guide how to create a boot able CD image whit linux-headers-2.6.34.10-vortex86-sg_1.2_i386.deb and linux-image-2.6.34.10-vortex86-sg_1.2_i386.deb from windows?
/Kino
Hi there
Have just received my eBox 3350mx and want to install Ubunto.
Your guide tells to use the CD, here is my issue, there is no ISO to make a CD whit?? (I'm a windows man)
Is there a guide how to create a boot able CD image whit linux-headers-2.6.34.10-vortex86-sg_1.2_i386.deb and linux-image-2.6.34.10-vortex86-sg_1.2_i386.deb from windows?
/Kino
Sigmac offline

Post by wiweet » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:21 pm

Post by wiweet
Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:21 pm

You could download ISO image for Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS from

http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/

there you'll find link for PC (Intel x86) desktop CD

http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/ubuntu ... p-i386.iso

And if you want to try the light version of ubuntu 10.04 LTS you coul download from

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46633874/clonez ... TS_img.iso

Hope that help..

regards

wiweet
You could download ISO image for Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS from

http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/

there you'll find link for PC (Intel x86) desktop CD

http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/ubuntu ... p-i386.iso

And if you want to try the light version of ubuntu 10.04 LTS you coul download from

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46633874/clonez ... TS_img.iso

Hope that help..

regards

wiweet
wiweet offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by AdamGamer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:32 am

Post by AdamGamer
Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:32 am

Currently, I am trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 with no luck. I follow the instructions from first post of this topic. I set up everything via the instructions and get a blank screen with a flashing cursor. The SD card I am using is a Panasonic Class 10 8 GB full size not MicroSD. I believe the Ebox might be defective and do not want to jump to any conclusions. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Also, the same is happening when I tried installing Windows XP SP3.
Currently, I am trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 with no luck. I follow the instructions from first post of this topic. I set up everything via the instructions and get a blank screen with a flashing cursor. The SD card I am using is a Panasonic Class 10 8 GB full size not MicroSD. I believe the Ebox might be defective and do not want to jump to any conclusions. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Also, the same is happening when I tried installing Windows XP SP3.
AdamGamer offline

PreviousNext
PreviousNext