Guide: Installing Windows XP on eBox 33xxMX/MX+ & K-PC

Based on DMP's Vortex processor / SoC this board is a full computer capable of running a standard Windows and Linux installation on the backpack of your robot.
42 postsPage 3 of 31, 2, 3

Post by PedroR » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:24 pm

Post by PedroR
Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:24 pm

Hi Thierry

From your description the issue seems related to the XP installation media or a specific BIOS option but in any case I will forward the question to the manufacturer to check if there's any special procedure needed.

I would recommend that you check the following (please try one step at a time and let us know the result):

1) Go to the BIOS, and do the following 2 procedures:
. "Load Failsafe Defaults"
. Set the first boot device as the CDRom and second boot device as the SD card.
You may want to experiment changing the IDE setting (setting it to Native mode or IDE mode) although this setting should NOT affect anything related to the installation of Windows XP.

2) Please try starting the installation using a different SD card.
You can use one from a Picture Camera or something like that; use it just to test if the installation is able to advance some more with a different SD card.
(you don't need to erase the SD card; you can stop the installation before copying the files; we only want to check what happens with a different SD card).

3) Finally, I would recommend trying to use a different installation CD (as your CD may be damaged) or a different CD Rom drive.

From your most recent description we still believe it is worth trying using a different SD card.
It is also useful to try using a different installation CD (you can for example duplicate it to another CD).

I will let you know if the manufacturer provides any additional information.

Kind Regards
Pedro
Hi Thierry

From your description the issue seems related to the XP installation media or a specific BIOS option but in any case I will forward the question to the manufacturer to check if there's any special procedure needed.

I would recommend that you check the following (please try one step at a time and let us know the result):

1) Go to the BIOS, and do the following 2 procedures:
. "Load Failsafe Defaults"
. Set the first boot device as the CDRom and second boot device as the SD card.
You may want to experiment changing the IDE setting (setting it to Native mode or IDE mode) although this setting should NOT affect anything related to the installation of Windows XP.

2) Please try starting the installation using a different SD card.
You can use one from a Picture Camera or something like that; use it just to test if the installation is able to advance some more with a different SD card.
(you don't need to erase the SD card; you can stop the installation before copying the files; we only want to check what happens with a different SD card).

3) Finally, I would recommend trying to use a different installation CD (as your CD may be damaged) or a different CD Rom drive.

From your most recent description we still believe it is worth trying using a different SD card.
It is also useful to try using a different installation CD (you can for example duplicate it to another CD).

I will let you know if the manufacturer provides any additional information.

Kind Regards
Pedro
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PedroR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:43 am

Post by PedroR
Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:43 am

Hi Thierry

We have received the following recommendation from the manufcaturer, for installing Windows XP:

Please try the CMOS settings to testing below
1. Power on and press “Del” key into the CMOS settings.

2. Choose “Advanced”.

3. Choose “IDE Configuration”.
Set “OnBoard IDE Operate Mode” to “Native Mode”
Set “Standard IDE Compatible” to “Enabled”

4. Press “Esc” key once to back to “Advanced” menu.

5. Choose “USB Configuration” .
Set “USB 2.0 Controller Mode” to “FullSpeed”.

6. Press “F10” to save the changes and exit.

7. After system rebooting, please press “F11” to boot up from USB CD/DVD ROM and then follow the instruction to install XP in SD Card.

Regards
Pedro
Hi Thierry

We have received the following recommendation from the manufcaturer, for installing Windows XP:

Please try the CMOS settings to testing below
1. Power on and press “Del” key into the CMOS settings.

2. Choose “Advanced”.

3. Choose “IDE Configuration”.
Set “OnBoard IDE Operate Mode” to “Native Mode”
Set “Standard IDE Compatible” to “Enabled”

4. Press “Esc” key once to back to “Advanced” menu.

5. Choose “USB Configuration” .
Set “USB 2.0 Controller Mode” to “FullSpeed”.

6. Press “F10” to save the changes and exit.

7. After system rebooting, please press “F11” to boot up from USB CD/DVD ROM and then follow the instruction to install XP in SD Card.

Regards
Pedro
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by TiBi » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:28 am

Post by TiBi
Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:28 am

Hi Pedro

I try ASAP.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Regards,
Thierry
Hi Pedro

I try ASAP.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Regards,
Thierry
TiBi offline

Post by TiBi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Post by TiBi
Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi Pedro

Thanks for your help!

I exactly followed the XP installation with the specific BIOS options advocated by the manufacturer of my ebox 3310MX-L3U4-AP.

I made lots of tests with:

- 2 different SD cards from 2 different manufacturers. I also tried with a DOM (the DMP/Ebox - SATA DOM 8Gb),
- 2 different USB-CD-ROM drives (1 from Asus, the other one from Samsung),
- 3 different (original) installation CDs XP SP3 from different sources.

The result is always the same, as at the first time, XP installation is impossible:

- The 3310MX-L3U4-AP boots from CD Rom and enters the text mode setup.

- After that, I am not able to create the necessary partition because after the "setup is loading files (drivers)" I had black screen with white blinking cursor on the top left of it...

Very embarassing this situation... What to do now?

Regards,
Thierry
Hi Pedro

Thanks for your help!

I exactly followed the XP installation with the specific BIOS options advocated by the manufacturer of my ebox 3310MX-L3U4-AP.

- 2 different SD cards from 2 different manufacturers. I also tried with a DOM (the DMP/Ebox - SATA DOM 8Gb),

The result is always the same, as at the first time, XP installation is impossible:

- After that, I am not able to create the necessary partition because after the "setup is loading files (drivers)" I had black screen with white blinking cursor on the top left of it...

Regards,
Thierry
TiBi offline

Post by TiBi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:10 pm

Post by TiBi
Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:10 pm

TiBi wrote:Hi Pedro

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Thierry

Hi,

From my experience, the XP installation is not possible on the 3310MX-L3U4-AP.

Could somebody confirm or infirm that?

Regards,
Thierry
TiBi wrote:Hi Pedro

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Thierry

Hi,

From my experience, the XP installation is not possible on the 3310MX-L3U4-AP.

Could somebody confirm or infirm that?

Regards,
Thierry
TiBi offline

Post by PedroR » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Post by PedroR
Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi Tibi

I somehow missed your previous post. I apologise for this.

Just as a final test would you mind trying to install ubuntu Linux 10.04 (as explained in this tutorial http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7482)

This is just to rule out any defect with your particular unit. If Ubuntu also doesn't install (with similar symptoms), please get in touch with support@robosavvy.com once again as there might be something wrong with your unit.

We've sold quite a few of those units and none of our customers has ever experienced the symptoms you describe though.

Kind Regards
Pedro.
Hi Tibi

I somehow missed your previous post. I apologise for this.

Just as a final test would you mind trying to install ubuntu Linux 10.04 (as explained in this tutorial http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7482)

This is just to rule out any defect with your particular unit. If Ubuntu also doesn't install (with similar symptoms), please get in touch with support@robosavvy.com once again as there might be something wrong with your unit.

We've sold quite a few of those units and none of our customers has ever experienced the symptoms you describe though.

Kind Regards
Pedro.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by cats92 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:59 pm

Post by cats92
Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:59 pm

hello,

Installed Windows XP with SP2 on the eBox 3350MX.
Thanks for the explainations fond here. It is OK.

But i tried to install the Ethernet driver with no success:

*loaded the driver
*put it on a thumb drive
* tried to install

but XP dont show the Ethernet which is connected to an ADSL box (another computer with XP use this connection no problem)

Perhaps i made a mistake in installing the Ethernet driver ?

Please can you desribe the steps to follow to install such driver.

Thanks for help.

Jean Paul
hello,

Installed Windows XP with SP2 on the eBox 3350MX.
Thanks for the explainations fond here. It is OK.

But i tried to install the Ethernet driver with no success:

*loaded the driver
*put it on a thumb drive
* tried to install

but XP dont show the Ethernet which is connected to an ADSL box (another computer with XP use this connection no problem)

Perhaps i made a mistake in installing the Ethernet driver ?

Please can you desribe the steps to follow to install such driver.

Thanks for help.

Jean Paul
cats92 offline

Post by PedroR » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:08 pm

Post by PedroR
Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi Jean Paul

You can get the latest ethernet drivers here http://www.compactpc.com.tw/support.aspx?mode=3&id=28

make sure they install correctly and reboot the computer after installation.

If it still doesn't work after doing this, go to device manager is the Adapter being shown with an Exclamation mark next to it?

If so, right click, choose Properties->Update Driver. Then locate the folder where the ethernet drivers (these should be INF files, not the EXE or ZIP you downlaod from the link above) are and manually select them.

Regards
Pedro
Hi Jean Paul

You can get the latest ethernet drivers here http://www.compactpc.com.tw/support.aspx?mode=3&id=28

make sure they install correctly and reboot the computer after installation.

If it still doesn't work after doing this, go to device manager is the Adapter being shown with an Exclamation mark next to it?

If so, right click, choose Properties->Update Driver. Then locate the folder where the ethernet drivers (these should be INF files, not the EXE or ZIP you downlaod from the link above) are and manually select them.

Regards
Pedro
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by cats92 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Post by cats92
Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks PedroR

Now it works !

Jean Paul
Thanks PedroR

Now it works !

Jean Paul
cats92 offline

Installing XP and having the USB WiFI dongle.

Post by jacob » Sun May 19, 2013 10:05 am

Post by jacob
Sun May 19, 2013 10:05 am

Hi Pedro,

I used the instructions to install Win XP/SP3. on a 3310 with a HD and USB WiFi Dongle. Failed in the text mode with an error message about an USB device. :( .
Had to; open the box, disconnect the USB WiFi Dongle, close the box, install WinXP, open the box, connect the USB WiFi Dongle, close the box again, then install the drivers for; sound, ethernet, VGA, WiFi etc.
Is functioning ok. :)
Done it to proof to myself that the USB WiFi dongle is working, I need to get Ubuntu 10.04 working with the dongle, which isn't going well :(

Cheers,
Jacob
Hi Pedro,

I used the instructions to install Win XP/SP3. on a 3310 with a HD and USB WiFi Dongle. Failed in the text mode with an error message about an USB device. :( .
Had to; open the box, disconnect the USB WiFi Dongle, close the box, install WinXP, open the box, connect the USB WiFi Dongle, close the box again, then install the drivers for; sound, ethernet, VGA, WiFi etc.
Is functioning ok. :)
Done it to proof to myself that the USB WiFi dongle is working, I need to get Ubuntu 10.04 working with the dongle, which isn't going well :(

Cheers,
Jacob
jacob offline

Re: Guide: Installing Windows XP on eBox 33xxMX/MX+ & K-PC

Post by child44 » Sat May 23, 2015 5:47 pm

Post by child44
Sat May 23, 2015 5:47 pm

Hello! I know it's an old thread, but I am in desperate need of some help.
First of all, thank you for the tutorial, it's quite detailed and easy to follow. Nonetheless, I cannot install XP on my 3350MX-AP and it's quite frustrating. I use an external CD-DVD Drive and a class 6, 8GB SD Card. I created a bootable XP CD from an XP ISO. In BIOS, both the SD Card and the CD-Drive are recognised and displayed in the boot selection menu. When I select the CD Drive, the machine just cuts off the video signal to my monitor and nothing happens. I have selected the BIOS Failsafe settings and created 3 XP boot disks, with 3 different methods. Apparently nothing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Hello! I know it's an old thread, but I am in desperate need of some help.
First of all, thank you for the tutorial, it's quite detailed and easy to follow. Nonetheless, I cannot install XP on my 3350MX-AP and it's quite frustrating. I use an external CD-DVD Drive and a class 6, 8GB SD Card. I created a bootable XP CD from an XP ISO. In BIOS, both the SD Card and the CD-Drive are recognised and displayed in the boot selection menu. When I select the CD Drive, the machine just cuts off the video signal to my monitor and nothing happens. I have selected the BIOS Failsafe settings and created 3 XP boot disks, with 3 different methods. Apparently nothing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
child44 offline

Re: Guide: Installing Windows XP on eBox 33xxMX/MX+ & K-PC

Post by PaulL » Mon May 25, 2015 12:17 pm

Post by PaulL
Mon May 25, 2015 12:17 pm

How are you powering the CD drive? If there isn't enough power, you might have the drive recognize in BIOS, but when attempting to spin up the drive, it may glitch the power and lock up the board.
How are you powering the CD drive? If there isn't enough power, you might have the drive recognize in BIOS, but when attempting to spin up the drive, it may glitch the power and lock up the board.
PaulL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Previous
Previous