eBox 3350MX Compact PC Debian 6 Driver VGA ???

Based on DMP's Vortex processor / SoC this board is a full computer capable of running a standard Windows and Linux installation on the backpack of your robot.
6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1

eBox 3350MX Compact PC Debian 6 Driver VGA ???

Post by DJDavid » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:08 pm

Post by DJDavid
Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:08 pm

Hello I want to know how do you install the VGA drivers on Debian 6?
I installed Debian 5 it worked but once all Updated
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
after reboot it's like now I'm 6 Debian it works but not for drivers for the VGA resolution is 800x600 now
how to thank you
Hello I want to know how do you install the VGA drivers on Debian 6?
I installed Debian 5 it worked but once all Updated
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
after reboot it's like now I'm 6 Debian it works but not for drivers for the VGA resolution is 800x600 now
how to thank you
DJDavid offline

Post by PedroR » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:58 pm

Post by PedroR
Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi DJDavid

RoboSavvy strongly recommends and supports using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on eBox.

We've had a few questions about Debian from other users and we're happy to point you towards the solution but please understadn our main support line is offered for Ubuntu.

Back to your issue, since you mentioned you made a significant number of updates I would recommend checking the following:

1)
Make sure the Kernel version you're using is the one provided by DMP (we recommend 2.6.34.10) http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP/LinuxKernels/
See the notes in this document http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP ... NSTALL.htm if you don't know how to check which kernel evrsion you're using.

2)
From our own experience, we've been able to use Ubuntu 10.04 with the standard VESA based drivers and a resolution of 1280X1024 I believe.

Therefore as a first line of approach, I would recommend that you try the VESA based drivers (the standard/generic ones) and increase the resolution.

If this doesn't work you may want to try re installing the native drivers for the Graphics card http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP ... ex86MX.zip

The ZIP files contains Installation instructions as well different versions of the driver.

In addition I believe the source code for the driver is included should you wish to build it in your system. Building and installing the drivers is a very advanced and complex procedure and we are unable to offer support for it. We don't recommend users to try it unless they are very experienced Linux users familiar with these procedures.
As I mentioned the ZIP file contains several ready to use (ie pre compiled) revisions of the driver so you can try using those which will hopefully work out of the box.

Regards
Pedro.
Hi DJDavid

RoboSavvy strongly recommends and supports using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on eBox.

We've had a few questions about Debian from other users and we're happy to point you towards the solution but please understadn our main support line is offered for Ubuntu.

Back to your issue, since you mentioned you made a significant number of updates I would recommend checking the following:

1)
Make sure the Kernel version you're using is the one provided by DMP (we recommend 2.6.34.10) http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP/LinuxKernels/
See the notes in this document http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP ... NSTALL.htm if you don't know how to check which kernel evrsion you're using.

2)
From our own experience, we've been able to use Ubuntu 10.04 with the standard VESA based drivers and a resolution of 1280X1024 I believe.

Therefore as a first line of approach, I would recommend that you try the VESA based drivers (the standard/generic ones) and increase the resolution.

If this doesn't work you may want to try re installing the native drivers for the Graphics card http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/DMP ... ex86MX.zip

The ZIP files contains Installation instructions as well different versions of the driver.

In addition I believe the source code for the driver is included should you wish to build it in your system. Building and installing the drivers is a very advanced and complex procedure and we are unable to offer support for it. We don't recommend users to try it unless they are very experienced Linux users familiar with these procedures.
As I mentioned the ZIP file contains several ready to use (ie pre compiled) revisions of the driver so you can try using those which will hopefully work out of the box.

Regards
Pedro.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by DJDavid » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Post by DJDavid
Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Hello PedroR
thank you for your reply
since I installed Ubuntu 4.10 LTS with the right kernel-2.6.34.10-sg vortex86
but I have no xorg.conf in / etc/X11/xorg.conf
how?
after another question
I like to know if it's possible to install Windows 98 or Windows 2000?
or if it's possible to install XP sp1
because I have that XP sp3
I do not have a USB CD drive if there is a way to install Windows with a USB Key?
thank you to you
Hello PedroR
thank you for your reply
since I installed Ubuntu 4.10 LTS with the right kernel-2.6.34.10-sg vortex86
but I have no xorg.conf in / etc/X11/xorg.conf
how?
after another question
I like to know if it's possible to install Windows 98 or Windows 2000?
or if it's possible to install XP sp1
because I have that XP sp3
I do not have a USB CD drive if there is a way to install Windows with a USB Key?
thank you to you
DJDavid offline

Post by PedroR » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Post by PedroR
Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi Djdavid

Xorg.conf may have been installed in a different location (some distros use different paths).
I should login, open a console window and type

sudo updatedb
sudo locate xorg.conf

This should list all the places in your system where xorg.conf exists. Check if it exists and adjust it according to the tutorial.

With regards to your second part of the Question, it is theoretically possible to install Windows XP from a USB drive. You can find more information about this by googling for "windows xp install from usb key"
Installing from USB has not been tested by us on eBox so I can't guarantee it will work (this is an unsupported scenario) but it may be worth trying.

With regards to installing Windows 98 and 2000, I don't believe the Vortex86MX/MX+ processors (used on eBox 3350 and 3310) support these older OSes.
I know older processors were compatible with these OSes but I don't think that's the case with the newer Vortex86MX(+).

As a last resource you may try contacting soc@dmp.com.tw and ask for the Windows 98 and/or Windows 2000 drivers for the eBox model that you have.

Regards
Pedro.
Hi Djdavid

Xorg.conf may have been installed in a different location (some distros use different paths).
I should login, open a console window and type

sudo updatedb
sudo locate xorg.conf

This should list all the places in your system where xorg.conf exists. Check if it exists and adjust it according to the tutorial.

With regards to your second part of the Question, it is theoretically possible to install Windows XP from a USB drive. You can find more information about this by googling for "windows xp install from usb key"
Installing from USB has not been tested by us on eBox so I can't guarantee it will work (this is an unsupported scenario) but it may be worth trying.

With regards to installing Windows 98 and 2000, I don't believe the Vortex86MX/MX+ processors (used on eBox 3350 and 3310) support these older OSes.
I know older processors were compatible with these OSes but I don't think that's the case with the newer Vortex86MX(+).

As a last resource you may try contacting soc@dmp.com.tw and ask for the Windows 98 and/or Windows 2000 drivers for the eBox model that you have.

Regards
Pedro.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by spaccabbomm » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:24 am

Post by spaccabbomm
Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:24 am

Hi Djdavid

i used to install XP on eBox 3350MX using usb drive.
You have to use nLite to create you XP ISO and add IDE drivers on the package.
Next use WinToFlash to create USB KEY XP installation.

That worked for me.
Hi Djdavid

i used to install XP on eBox 3350MX using usb drive.
You have to use nLite to create you XP ISO and add IDE drivers on the package.

That worked for me.
spaccabbomm offline

Post by Linx » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:52 pm

Post by Linx
Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:52 pm

spaccabbomm wrote:...//...

That worked for me.

Other program to boot an XP installation from Pen USB is WinSetupFromUSB. It's many simple and easy to work.

You can see more information about it in (If it does not break the forum rules)
http://forum.meteoclimatic.net/index.ph ... 218.0.html
one guide step by step in spanish about how to installer XP from Pen USB.

Best regards
spaccabbomm wrote:...//...

That worked for me.

Other program to boot an XP installation from Pen USB is WinSetupFromUSB. It's many simple and easy to work.

You can see more information about it in (If it does not break the forum rules)
http://forum.meteoclimatic.net/index.ph ... 218.0.html
one guide step by step in spanish about how to installer XP from Pen USB.

Best regards
Linx offline

6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1