3350MX “PXE Diskless boot” doesn't work

Based on DMP's Vortex processor / SoC this board is a full computer capable of running a standard Windows and Linux installation on the backpack of your robot.
9 postsPage 1 of 1
9 postsPage 1 of 1

3350MX “PXE Diskless boot” doesn't work

Post by patpat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:16 pm

Post by patpat
Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi I recently bought a 3350MX, the manufacturer says in all the literature
“PXE Diskless boot” what means able to boot from the net, what is pretty
handy for OS install w/o needing DVD readers nor pendrives or things like that either.
It is also useful for loading a Live OS just from the net.

For doing so we go to BIOS setup, on the “Advenced” tab we go to
“SB LAN BOOT” and we change it to “Used INT 18h”, then F10 save and reboot.

For net installing let say XP we need a PXE server like i.e. Serva
http://www.vercot.com/~serva/howto/WindowsPXE1.html

when PXE booting with my 3350MX everything went OK until I saw on the screen

Code: Select all
Intel UNDI, PXE - 2.0 (build 078)
RDC R6040 Series Fast Ethernet Adapter PXE/RPL Bootrom v1.08

next the 3350MX receives the IP DHCP parameters and after transferring from the server and running the first piece of code (NBP Network bootstrap program) it systematically hangs.
The reason is the ancient PXE firmware the 3350MX network card has; PXE 2.0 is just too old;
Since September 1999 till today all the network installs use PXE 2.1 .

Then if you plan to use PXE/network install/net boot with the 3350MX forget about it.

Please ICOP we need a firmware update; can you guys help?
If not you guys can e-mail me; I have a 3350MX for sale :-(
Hi I recently bought a 3350MX, the manufacturer says in all the literature
“PXE Diskless boot” what means able to boot from the net, what is pretty
handy for OS install w/o needing DVD readers nor pendrives or things like that either.
It is also useful for loading a Live OS just from the net.

For doing so we go to BIOS setup, on the “Advenced” tab we go to
“SB LAN BOOT” and we change it to “Used INT 18h”, then F10 save and reboot.

For net installing let say XP we need a PXE server like i.e. Serva
http://www.vercot.com/~serva/howto/WindowsPXE1.html

Code: Select all

next the 3350MX receives the IP DHCP parameters and after transferring from the server and running the first piece of code (NBP Network bootstrap program) it systematically hangs.
The reason is the ancient PXE firmware the 3350MX network card has; PXE 2.0 is just too old;

Then if you plan to use PXE/network install/net boot with the 3350MX forget about it.

Please ICOP we need a firmware update; can you guys help?
If not you guys can e-mail me; I have a 3350MX for sale :-(
patpat offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by PedroR » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Post by PedroR
Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi patpat

RoboSavvy is not the maker of the eBox 3350MX. The manufacturer is DMP (ICOP you mention is a division of DMP).

Therefore, you should contact soc@dmp.com.tw if you need special Technical Information.

The RoboSavvy forum is not the right place to ask for special/modified BIOS or firmware features.

Kind Regards
Pedro
RoboSavvy
Hi patpat

RoboSavvy is not the maker of the eBox 3350MX. The manufacturer is DMP (ICOP you mention is a division of DMP).

Therefore, you should contact soc@dmp.com.tw if you need special Technical Information.

The RoboSavvy forum is not the right place to ask for special/modified BIOS or firmware features.

Kind Regards
Pedro
RoboSavvy
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by patpat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Post by patpat
Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:49 pm

1) I clearly know that RoboSavvy is not the maker of the eBox 3350MX
2) I have contacted ICOP several times with absolutely no answer.
3) I do not need “special” Technical Information.
4) I’m not asking for a special/modified BIOS.
5) I’m just asking that the 3350MX that I bought from robosavvy (even if you are not the makers)
just to do what the advertisement of the product says.

I think you guys as resellers of ICOP/DPM are in better position to talk to them than me. if not I’m going to return my unit because it does not do what the datasheet (that you guys also publish) say.

Best
1) I clearly know that RoboSavvy is not the maker of the eBox 3350MX
2) I have contacted ICOP several times with absolutely no answer.
3) I do not need “special” Technical Information.
4) I’m not asking for a special/modified BIOS.
5) I’m just asking that the 3350MX that I bought from robosavvy (even if you are not the makers)
just to do what the advertisement of the product says.

I think you guys as resellers of ICOP/DPM are in better position to talk to them than me. if not I’m going to return my unit because it does not do what the datasheet (that you guys also publish) say.

Best
patpat offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by PedroR » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Post by PedroR
Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi patpat

If you have formal technical support request you should submit a proper report to support@robosavvy.com

That is the procedure to submit a formal support request.

Make sure to include as much information as possible, including S/N and your Order Number.

Pedro.
Hi patpat

If you have formal technical support request you should submit a proper report to support@robosavvy.com

That is the procedure to submit a formal support request.

Make sure to include as much information as possible, including S/N and your Order Number.

Pedro.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by patpat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Post by patpat
Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Pedro,
The formal support request (as you call it) comes after asking here if you guys know
i.e. where I could download and easily upgrade the 3350MX firmware…
Knowing now that apparently you guys do not know of any procedure for making the 3350MX do what its flyer announces then I’ll send a formal request as per your instructions.

Best
Pedro,
The formal support request (as you call it) comes after asking here if you guys know
i.e. where I could download and easily upgrade the 3350MX firmware…
Knowing now that apparently you guys do not know of any procedure for making the 3350MX do what its flyer announces then I’ll send a formal request as per your instructions.

Best
patpat offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by PedroR » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:39 am

Post by PedroR
Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:39 am

Hi patpat

You seem to be implying that eBox advertises inexistent features on the eBox 3350MX which is something we take seriously.

I would like to quote your own words so that future readers of this thread don't get confused and get clear and correct information:

Code:

Therefore, as you very well say, PXE boot is exists in the eBox 3350MX as advertised.

It seems your complaint comes because it is not the version of PXE boot that you are expecting.

The manual does not say that PXE boot 2.1 is present, it only says PXE boot is supported and it is (it's version 2.0 per your findings).

I believe you had also made a previous post about compatibility of Ebox 3350MX with a specific software you wanted to use - Serva.
I would like to remind you that, at the time, we made it very clear that PXE boot is supported (the version of PXE was not discussed) but that you should check the requirements with the maker of Serva.

Had you asked us about what version of PXE was present in eBox 3350MX we would have been happy to ask the manufacturer and inform you of this so that you could further discuss compatibility with the makers of the Serva software you wanted to use.

We will also gladly forward your report to the manufacturer along with suggestion of updating PXE to v2.1.

Regards
Pedro
Hi patpat

You seem to be implying that eBox advertises inexistent features on the eBox 3350MX which is something we take seriously.

I would like to quote your own words so that future readers of this thread don't get confused and get clear and correct information:

Code:

Therefore, as you very well say, PXE boot is exists in the eBox 3350MX as advertised.

It seems your complaint comes because it is not the version of PXE boot that you are expecting.

The manual does not say that PXE boot 2.1 is present, it only says PXE boot is supported and it is (it's version 2.0 per your findings).

I believe you had also made a previous post about compatibility of Ebox 3350MX with a specific software you wanted to use - Serva.
I would like to remind you that, at the time, we made it very clear that PXE boot is supported (the version of PXE was not discussed) but that you should check the requirements with the maker of Serva.

Had you asked us about what version of PXE was present in eBox 3350MX we would have been happy to ask the manufacturer and inform you of this so that you could further discuss compatibility with the makers of the Serva software you wanted to use.

We will also gladly forward your report to the manufacturer along with suggestion of updating PXE to v2.1.

Regards
Pedro
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by patpat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:15 am

Post by patpat
Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:15 am

Pedro,
I think you are twisting things.
PXE boot on the eBox uses a standard 2.0 that was replaced 13 years ago.
It is also included with RPL some boot protocol used on times of IBM Token-Ring !
just for you to have an idea of how “current” this firmware is.

For this reason I can say eBox advertisement of its PXE boot capabilities is false/misleading
The company advertizes BIOS development; I cannot believe that they selling BIOS development include something that is this old.

The manual says “Built-in PXE diskless boot function”; on a new hardware that implies of course the inclusion of the current version of PXE (mostly when it has been published --13 years ago--) if not “it has to be notified” and it is not.

My previous post asking about PXE installing XP using Serva it has nothing to do with Serva.
Serva uses PXELINUX; PXELINUX is a standard on PXE booting and my question was trying to find out if eBox was really having a working PXE engine. I got no answer, you couldn’t give it a try; SYSLINUX is FREE, Serva is also FREE…

Summarizing:
if you produce hardware today but you use 13 years old firmware please say so. If not you are by all means misrepresenting your product.

The manufacturer was contacted and copy of that e-mail was sent to you guys as a formal request as you requested before. I'm waiting for the answer.

Best
Pedro,
I think you are twisting things.
PXE boot on the eBox uses a standard 2.0 that was replaced 13 years ago.
It is also included with RPL some boot protocol used on times of IBM Token-Ring !
just for you to have an idea of how “current” this firmware is.

For this reason I can say eBox advertisement of its PXE boot capabilities is false/misleading
The company advertizes BIOS development; I cannot believe that they selling BIOS development include something that is this old.

The manual says “Built-in PXE diskless boot function”; on a new hardware that implies of course the inclusion of the current version of PXE (mostly when it has been published --13 years ago--) if not “it has to be notified” and it is not.

My previous post asking about PXE installing XP using Serva it has nothing to do with Serva.
Serva uses PXELINUX; PXELINUX is a standard on PXE booting and my question was trying to find out if eBox was really having a working PXE engine. I got no answer, you couldn’t give it a try; SYSLINUX is FREE, Serva is also FREE…

Summarizing:
if you produce hardware today but you use 13 years old firmware please say so. If not you are by all means misrepresenting your product.

The manufacturer was contacted and copy of that e-mail was sent to you guys as a formal request as you requested before. I'm waiting for the answer.

Best
patpat offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by PedroR » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:31 am

Post by PedroR
Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:31 am

We confirm we have received your support request and it i now being addressed with the manufacturer.

From our posts it seems you're so un satisfied with the eBox (and apparently our service) that I would like to remind you our company has a Return/Cancellation policy where you can return the item doesn't suit your needs.

We'd be happy to take it back if it's that bad for you and we're also happy to forward your request to the manufacturer (which we've done).

Regards
Pedro
We confirm we have received your support request and it i now being addressed with the manufacturer.

From our posts it seems you're so un satisfied with the eBox (and apparently our service) that I would like to remind you our company has a Return/Cancellation policy where you can return the item doesn't suit your needs.

We'd be happy to take it back if it's that bad for you and we're also happy to forward your request to the manufacturer (which we've done).

Regards
Pedro
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by patpat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Post by patpat
Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi Patrick

We have received the reply from the manufacturer. I quote their replies bellow.

Regarding PXE:
"Support PXE 2.0 only not the 2.1."

Regarding Windows Compact 7 files:
"We are never official announced 33xxMX series support Compact 7 yet."

Kind Regards
Pedro

Lucky you; I have been waiting 6 days w/o receiving a single word from them,

OK, the item is missrepresented about its PXE capabilities and they are lying about the compact 7 support.
http://www.embeddedpc.net/eBox3350MX/

then I'm going to return my 3350MX and I expect full refund including the returning shipping cost; I do not have to pay for your supplier mistakes.

I hope you are going to update your promotional info about the 3350MX PXE capabilities ASAP.
Best
Hi Patrick

We have received the reply from the manufacturer. I quote their replies bellow.

Regarding PXE:
"Support PXE 2.0 only not the 2.1."

Regarding Windows Compact 7 files:
"We are never official announced 33xxMX series support Compact 7 yet."

Kind Regards
Pedro

Lucky you; I have been waiting 6 days w/o receiving a single word from them,

OK, the item is missrepresented about its PXE capabilities and they are lying about the compact 7 support.
http://www.embeddedpc.net/eBox3350MX/

then I'm going to return my 3350MX and I expect full refund including the returning shipping cost; I do not have to pay for your supplier mistakes.

I hope you are going to update your promotional info about the 3350MX PXE capabilities ASAP.
Best
patpat offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

9 postsPage 1 of 1
9 postsPage 1 of 1