Laser Range finder on Roboard RB100

Based on DMP's Vortex processor / SoC this board is a full computer capable of running a standard Windows and Linux installation on the backpack of your robot.
9 postsPage 1 of 1
9 postsPage 1 of 1

Laser Range finder on Roboard RB100

Post by ading12 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:33 am

Post by ading12
Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:33 am

Hi,

I have the RoBoard RB100 and was trying to interface the laser range finder from parallax to it but to no avail.
Currently I have Lubuntu installed on the micro SD, and done all the setup procedures as posted on the Roboard website. I also have an ultrasonic range finder connected to COM1 of the roboard and it works. I can read the values from the sensor.

But when I tried using COM3 on the board, as it is TTL same as the laser range finder, it didnt do anything. (tested on cutecom).
I would really appreciate if anyone could suggest anything i could do to fix this.
Hi,

I have the RoBoard RB100 and was trying to interface the laser range finder from parallax to it but to no avail.
Currently I have Lubuntu installed on the micro SD, and done all the setup procedures as posted on the Roboard website. I also have an ultrasonic range finder connected to COM1 of the roboard and it works. I can read the values from the sensor.

But when I tried using COM3 on the board, as it is TTL same as the laser range finder, it didnt do anything. (tested on cutecom).
I would really appreciate if anyone could suggest anything i could do to fix this.
ading12 offline

Post by limor » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by limor
Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:33 pm

have you managed to interface with any other computer ?
have you managed to interface with any other computer ?
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by ading12 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:15 pm

Post by ading12
Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:15 pm

limor wrote:have you managed to interface with any other computer ?

I have tested it with an arduino uno and it worked.
limor wrote:have you managed to interface with any other computer ?

I have tested it with an arduino uno and it worked.
ading12 offline

Post by PedroR » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:02 pm

Post by PedroR
Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi Adding

On certain Linux distros you'll need some additional procedures to enable COM3 and COM4.

Please refer to one of these links depending on your Distribution:

http://www.roboard.com/Files/RB-100/Ins ... oBoard.zip

In the Zip file you'll find instructions about enabling Com3 and COM4.

Regards
Pedro
Hi Adding

On certain Linux distros you'll need some additional procedures to enable COM3 and COM4.

Please refer to one of these links depending on your Distribution:

In the Zip file you'll find instructions about enabling Com3 and COM4.

Regards
Pedro
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by ading12 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:38 am

Post by ading12
Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:38 am

Hi PedroR

I have enabled them and i tested that they indeed are enabled. I connected rx to tx on com3 and what i send was received. But when i tried using the laser range finder it did not seem to work. :( help
Hi PedroR

I have enabled them and i tested that they indeed are enabled. I connected rx to tx on com3 and what i send was received. But when i tried using the laser range finder it did not seem to work. :( help
ading12 offline

Post by PedroR » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:27 am

Post by PedroR
Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:27 am

If COM3 and COM4 are enabled then it's most likely an issue with the signal levels between the two boards.

I believe the signal level on Roboard is 5V TTL.

I'd recommend that you check the following:
1) Check if your Ultrasonic range finder is outputting TTL at 5V or at 3.3V

If it's outputting at 3.3V you'll probably need to use a logic level converter (see here http://robosavvy.com/store/logic+level ) to boost the signal to 5V on arrival at the Robot.

What happens most of the times is that 5V systems can't always see incoming data when it's at 3.3V.

Arduino's can cope with this very well but I believe Roboard doesn't. You should make sure the signal levels match.

If you have access to an oscilloscope you should be able to analyse the input/output levels on the serial port on Roboard and compare them to what's going on with the serial on Arduino.

2) Make sure you have the baud rate and handshake settings all set correctly.
This is a bit obvious but it's a good idea to double check.

Pedro.
If COM3 and COM4 are enabled then it's most likely an issue with the signal levels between the two boards.

I believe the signal level on Roboard is 5V TTL.

I'd recommend that you check the following:
1) Check if your Ultrasonic range finder is outputting TTL at 5V or at 3.3V

If it's outputting at 3.3V you'll probably need to use a logic level converter (see here http://robosavvy.com/store/logic+level ) to boost the signal to 5V on arrival at the Robot.

What happens most of the times is that 5V systems can't always see incoming data when it's at 3.3V.

Arduino's can cope with this very well but I believe Roboard doesn't. You should make sure the signal levels match.

If you have access to an oscilloscope you should be able to analyse the input/output levels on the serial port on Roboard and compare them to what's going on with the serial on Arduino.

2) Make sure you have the baud rate and handshake settings all set correctly.
This is a bit obvious but it's a good idea to double check.

Pedro.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by ading12 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:14 am

Post by ading12
Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:14 am

These are what I had done so far.

1) Check the signals of the COM3 port on the roboard using oscilloscope. I cant remember the voltages but it is lower than the laser range finder signals.

2) connect using the level converter. still no response

3) using a USB to TTL cable to connect the COM3 port to another computer. with both running cutecom, I can communicate between the two. I even tested with the level converter between the two and it still work.

4) also using the USB to TTL cable to connect the laser range finder to the computer. This also works.

Am I missing something here.
These are what I had done so far.

1) Check the signals of the COM3 port on the roboard using oscilloscope. I cant remember the voltages but it is lower than the laser range finder signals.

2) connect using the level converter. still no response

3) using a USB to TTL cable to connect the COM3 port to another computer. with both running cutecom, I can communicate between the two. I even tested with the level converter between the two and it still work.

4) also using the USB to TTL cable to connect the laser range finder to the computer. This also works.

Am I missing something here.
ading12 offline

Post by PedroR » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Post by PedroR
Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi Adding

To be honest I'm also out of suggestions here.

You've established:
1) Roboard is able to communicate with other devices

2) The Rangefinder is also able to communicate with other devices.

They just don't talk to each other.

My only suggestion here would be to use an oscilloscope or a logic analyses to see what's happening there.

It's most likely something related to the signals (or something so obvious it's being overlooked - which can be quite frustrating I might add from experience).

Kind Regards
Pedro.
Hi Adding

To be honest I'm also out of suggestions here.

You've established:
1) Roboard is able to communicate with other devices

2) The Rangefinder is also able to communicate with other devices.

They just don't talk to each other.

My only suggestion here would be to use an oscilloscope or a logic analyses to see what's happening there.

It's most likely something related to the signals (or something so obvious it's being overlooked - which can be quite frustrating I might add from experience).

Kind Regards
Pedro.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by ading12 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:00 am

Post by ading12
Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:00 am

Hi PedroR

Ive finally figured out the problem. Indeed it was something being overlooked. It turns out I have to change permission to the ports so that I can actually read and write from the port. A friend helped me debug and now it works even without the level converter. Obviously i need to learn more on linux. Thank you for helping me out. :D
Hi PedroR

Ive finally figured out the problem. Indeed it was something being overlooked. It turns out I have to change permission to the ports so that I can actually read and write from the port. A friend helped me debug and now it works even without the level converter. Obviously i need to learn more on linux. Thank you for helping me out. :D
ading12 offline

9 postsPage 1 of 1
9 postsPage 1 of 1