Xevel (Team XD) Quadpod/Wheeled Robot

Walking robots with more than 2 legs (tripods, quadpods..) have the inherent advantage of stability over biped robots
3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1

Xevel (Team XD) Quadpod/Wheeled Robot

Post by PedroR » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:36 pm

Post by PedroR
Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi all

We've come across an interesting robot being developed by Frencd "Team XD" which is a mix of a Quadpod with wheels.

Videos are here:
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

The Robot seems designed to play chess and is very well engineered. The little weels that touch the floor are connected to a small DC motor by a belt. The other servos employed seem AX-12s.

Very impressive moves and a very ingenious combination of Quadpod and wheeled motions.

The team's website is here http://www.xevel.fr/blog/

Pedro
Hi all

We've come across an interesting robot being developed by Frencd "Team XD" which is a mix of a Quadpod with wheels.

Videos are here:
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

The Robot seems designed to play chess and is very well engineered. The little weels that touch the floor are connected to a small DC motor by a belt. The other servos employed seem AX-12s.

Very impressive moves and a very ingenious combination of Quadpod and wheeled motions.

The team's website is here http://www.xevel.fr/blog/

Pedro
PedroR
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by xevel » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:43 am

Post by xevel
Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:43 am

Ho man, i'm getting famous if people talk about my robot without me having to force it on them :D

I've been lurking around your forums for quite some time now and planned to post about it in the very near future. The thing is that until last week I was quite busy with the competition this robot has been made for (French qualifiers for Eurobot, followed by the Eurobot international finals, last week in Astrakhan, Russia).

The robot you can see on these videos is the second version of the project, and has been adapted to be able to compete to Eurobot 2011. The rules are restrictive in term of allowed robot perimeter, and some systems are strongly recommended, like having a platform on top of the robot for the opponent to put a beacon on. This strongly influenced the way it looks now.

It is composed of 14 AX-12+, with 5 AX-18F (one is actually a 18A, the same with a nicer body) for key articulations: the ones bearing most of the load. Add to each leg a small DC motor to power the wheel and a standard micro-servo to orient it.
The main brain is a Beagleboard-xM. It takes care of all the FK, IK, global motion control, sensor processing (from two cameras and a Neato LDS, the lidar from the Neato XV-11) and AI.
All the slave boards controlling the motor and small stuff like that are atmega328p boards (Pololu Baby Orangutan or Adruino Mini Pro) modified to communicate as dynamixel devices.

At our national qualifiers, in France, a month ago, we got the Creativity Award and the right to be among the 3 teams to represent our country at the international finals.
At the internal competition, we got the "Disign" award, and even though we did not score much points during matches, we still tried to make the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6KM5RNmMbQ

This is something i don't think any other team did, in any country, and it was the first time we showed it during an official match.

The project does not end here. I'm working on making it move satisfactorily well. Right now, the first thing to tackle are the latency problem I have when talking to the Dynamixels.
I think I will try two courses of action:
- try to use a soft-realtime linux kernel
- develop better code for my ATMega32u2-based USB to Dynamixel chip, transforming what is currently a dumb USB2DYNAMIXEL clone to a smarter dynamixel interface that knows about the Dynamixel protocol and can communicate efficiently with the 25 Dynamixel devices.
Ho man, i'm getting famous if people talk about my robot without me having to force it on them :D

I've been lurking around your forums for quite some time now and planned to post about it in the very near future. The thing is that until last week I was quite busy with the competition this robot has been made for (French qualifiers for Eurobot, followed by the Eurobot international finals, last week in Astrakhan, Russia).

The robot you can see on these videos is the second version of the project, and has been adapted to be able to compete to Eurobot 2011. The rules are restrictive in term of allowed robot perimeter, and some systems are strongly recommended, like having a platform on top of the robot for the opponent to put a beacon on. This strongly influenced the way it looks now.

It is composed of 14 AX-12+, with 5 AX-18F (one is actually a 18A, the same with a nicer body) for key articulations: the ones bearing most of the load. Add to each leg a small DC motor to power the wheel and a standard micro-servo to orient it.
The main brain is a Beagleboard-xM. It takes care of all the FK, IK, global motion control, sensor processing (from two cameras and a Neato LDS, the lidar from the Neato XV-11) and AI.
All the slave boards controlling the motor and small stuff like that are atmega328p boards (Pololu Baby Orangutan or Adruino Mini Pro) modified to communicate as dynamixel devices.

At our national qualifiers, in France, a month ago, we got the Creativity Award and the right to be among the 3 teams to represent our country at the international finals.
At the internal competition, we got the "Disign" award, and even though we did not score much points during matches, we still tried to make the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6KM5RNmMbQ

This is something i don't think any other team did, in any country, and it was the first time we showed it during an official match.

The project does not end here. I'm working on making it move satisfactorily well. Right now, the first thing to tackle are the latency problem I have when talking to the Dynamixels.
I think I will try two courses of action:
- try to use a soft-realtime linux kernel
- develop better code for my ATMega32u2-based USB to Dynamixel chip, transforming what is currently a dumb USB2DYNAMIXEL clone to a smarter dynamixel interface that knows about the Dynamixel protocol and can communicate efficiently with the 25 Dynamixel devices.
xevel
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by xevel » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:07 am

Post by xevel
Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:07 am

The project has been featured on the Robotis website, in the Power User section :D

http://www.robotis.com/xe/PowerUsers_en/74479

Also, I continued to work the USB to Dynamixel adapter I hinted about in last post: It's called the USB2AX, and you can learn more about it here!
The project has been featured on the Robotis website, in the Power User section :D

http://www.robotis.com/xe/PowerUsers_en/74479

Also, I continued to work the USB to Dynamixel adapter I hinted about in last post: It's called the USB2AX, and you can learn more about it here!
xevel
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1