starting a new hexapod project. help and tips appreciated

Walking robots with more than 2 legs (tripods, quadpods..) have the inherent advantage of stability over biped robots
2 postsPage 1 of 1
2 postsPage 1 of 1

starting a new hexapod project. help and tips appreciated

Post by KraKen » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Post by KraKen
Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18 pm

im not new to robots in design concept but i am new to the many ways to program it, and implementing servo motions.
i have done boe bot kit, and robonova kit( thats im currently rebuilding with a new set up)

my project will be to start building a custom hexapod from ground up
(i will make the brackets, but i need a controller board, servos, micro controller (if needed) , some sort of memory unit to have the ability to have a large program at work , i thought about patching in a flash drive with 20gig as a alternate memory unit.\)

8 legs with aluminum brackets 3 servos each
ir set 1{
-8 ir sensors
- 8 ir emitters
these will be dedicated to detect the surrounding environment and let the bot process best possible paths to take}

ir set 2
{
1 ir sensor
this will be used to control the robot from a distance and alter is direction, make it stop, go, curl up, do other functions , such as sift sand with front/rear legs, rear up, pick up object, put down object.
}

led
{1 led, shows solid light when on, when battery(s) low it would flash}
speaker
{1 speaker, emits sound to specific commands placed by remote, if moving object comes close or enters path will emit a sound to warn of its location, emit sound when battery is low}

functions i expect to do with this bot{
3 modes of operation
REMOTE pure{operated by remote only, but through remote, cans swap between other modes}

REMOTE/autonomous {
robot explores and interacts with environment , but can be stopped, mode switched, other functions by remote}

fully autonomous mode{
3 sub modes
sub1{ explorer, runs around its environment and gets basic data on total area of a room}

sub2{ searcher mode :
this mode searches for an object that makes a specific frequency, the bot will try to locate and attain the object}

sub3{ attack mode, if confronted with moving object, (human,dog, cat,animal) it will be aggressive, always face target, do quick strikes if target gets to close}

any suggestions on servos, controller boards, micro controller, battery, sensors, programming and design would be greatly appreciated

this is a long term project and i will slowly build my bot as i aquire the parts, this will take a few years, i will be posting pictures, and issues i run into

thanks for your help in this project.
im not new to robots in design concept but i am new to the many ways to program it, and implementing servo motions.
i have done boe bot kit, and robonova kit( thats im currently rebuilding with a new set up)

my project will be to start building a custom hexapod from ground up
(i will make the brackets, but i need a controller board, servos, micro controller (if needed) , some sort of memory unit to have the ability to have a large program at work , i thought about patching in a flash drive with 20gig as a alternate memory unit.\)

8 legs with aluminum brackets 3 servos each
ir set 1{
-8 ir sensors
- 8 ir emitters
these will be dedicated to detect the surrounding environment and let the bot process best possible paths to take}

ir set 2
{
1 ir sensor
this will be used to control the robot from a distance and alter is direction, make it stop, go, curl up, do other functions , such as sift sand with front/rear legs, rear up, pick up object, put down object.
}

led
{1 led, shows solid light when on, when battery(s) low it would flash}
speaker
{1 speaker, emits sound to specific commands placed by remote, if moving object comes close or enters path will emit a sound to warn of its location, emit sound when battery is low}

functions i expect to do with this bot{
3 modes of operation
REMOTE pure{operated by remote only, but through remote, cans swap between other modes}

REMOTE/autonomous {
robot explores and interacts with environment , but can be stopped, mode switched, other functions by remote}

fully autonomous mode{
3 sub modes
sub1{ explorer, runs around its environment and gets basic data on total area of a room}

sub2{ searcher mode :
this mode searches for an object that makes a specific frequency, the bot will try to locate and attain the object}

sub3{ attack mode, if confronted with moving object, (human,dog, cat,animal) it will be aggressive, always face target, do quick strikes if target gets to close}

any suggestions on servos, controller boards, micro controller, battery, sensors, programming and design would be greatly appreciated

this is a long term project and i will slowly build my bot as i aquire the parts, this will take a few years, i will be posting pictures, and issues i run into

thanks for your help in this project.
KraKen

Post by limor » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:47 pm

Post by limor
Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:47 pm

the robonova controler is quite good and the robonova servos have the dual sided shaft. maybe try to make the hexapod from robonova parts and for missing parts, use 3D printer or aluminum sheet cutting.
the robonova controler is quite good and the robonova servos have the dual sided shaft. maybe try to make the hexapod from robonova parts and for missing parts, use 3D printer or aluminum sheet cutting.
limor
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

2 postsPage 1 of 1
2 postsPage 1 of 1