Bioloid Vision Module

Created by Prof. Hamid Moballegh of The Robocup Humanoid Team of Freie Universität Berlin - fumanoids.de
261 postsPage 1 of 181, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18

Bioloid Vision Module

Post by hamid_m » Thu May 03, 2007 5:04 pm

Post by hamid_m
Thu May 03, 2007 5:04 pm

Hello everybody,

We have developed a vision module for the bioloid(can also be used by other robot types) at our institut with the following capabilities:

Frame rate: up to 10 FPS

Resolution: 160*120 color

Built in color lookup table

Image noise filtering

Region growing for up to 255 different color categories

Detection of up to 16 color regions in the Image

RS485 interface, can be connected to any type of microcontroller having USART or directly to the Bioloid RS485 Bus.

Output Format: 256 bytes after processing of each frame, containing information about the found color regions on the image, including coordinates, dimentions,... results can be easily used by CM5 programmed using C.

Communication protocol: Bioloid standard communication protocol

PC interface: 3D Color category definition, Picture Sample, Access to the camera settings.

We are currently seeking for partners to sell the modules.

You can see some photos and videos form the vision module and PC interface in my next posts!
Hello everybody,

We have developed a vision module for the bioloid(can also be used by other robot types) at our institut with the following capabilities:

Frame rate: up to 10 FPS

Resolution: 160*120 color

Built in color lookup table

Image noise filtering

Region growing for up to 255 different color categories

Detection of up to 16 color regions in the Image

RS485 interface, can be connected to any type of microcontroller having USART or directly to the Bioloid RS485 Bus.

Output Format: 256 bytes after processing of each frame, containing information about the found color regions on the image, including coordinates, dimentions,... results can be easily used by CM5 programmed using C.

Communication protocol: Bioloid standard communication protocol

PC interface: 3D Color category definition, Picture Sample, Access to the camera settings.

We are currently seeking for partners to sell the modules.

You can see some photos and videos form the vision module and PC interface in my next posts!
Last edited by hamid_m on Fri May 04, 2007 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamid_m offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by JonHylands » Thu May 03, 2007 6:23 pm

Post by JonHylands
Thu May 03, 2007 6:23 pm

I assume this is actually using the half-duplex serial one-wire interface of the AX-12, not RS-485 as you state, right?

Very cool stuff - curious though, how do you send back 256 bytes using the standard comm protocol? The length byte in a reply is one byte, which is limited to 255, and that includes the error byte and the checksum, which really means 253 bytes of data total.

Where did you get the case, if you don't mind me asking? I know someone at some point said Robotis was going to be making empty cases available - is that what you're using?

- Jon
I assume this is actually using the half-duplex serial one-wire interface of the AX-12, not RS-485 as you state, right?

Very cool stuff - curious though, how do you send back 256 bytes using the standard comm protocol? The length byte in a reply is one byte, which is limited to 255, and that includes the error byte and the checksum, which really means 253 bytes of data total.

Where did you get the case, if you don't mind me asking? I know someone at some point said Robotis was going to be making empty cases available - is that what you're using?

- Jon
JonHylands offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by hamid_m » Thu May 03, 2007 7:10 pm

Post by hamid_m
Thu May 03, 2007 7:10 pm

You are right, it is the same interface as the bioloid, is that different from RS485?
256 bytes are not sent out once, they can be read as the usual registers, using standard indexing. I personaly read 16 bytes each time.
the case is from one of our dead motors :wink: , I thik it would be good if it would be possible to buy the case separately from robotis.

Hamid.
You are right, it is the same interface as the bioloid, is that different from RS485?
256 bytes are not sent out once, they can be read as the usual registers, using standard indexing. I personaly read 16 bytes each time.
the case is from one of our dead motors :wink: , I thik it would be good if it would be possible to buy the case separately from robotis.

Hamid.
hamid_m offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by limor » Fri May 04, 2007 12:01 am

Post by limor
Fri May 04, 2007 12:01 am

please upload the pictures and link to them on this thread.
they are not visible through the link you provided.
there are at least 3 ways to upload pictures, files and videos onto robosavvy (in User Menu on the left - "My Files", and "post article" and there's the wiki that has its own facility).
here's a link to My Files
please upload the pictures and link to them on this thread.
they are not visible through the link you provided.
there are at least 3 ways to upload pictures, files and videos onto robosavvy (in User Menu on the left - "My Files", and "post article" and there's the wiki that has its own facility).
here's a link to My Files
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by JonHylands » Fri May 04, 2007 12:32 am

Post by JonHylands
Fri May 04, 2007 12:32 am

JonHylands offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by hamid_m » Fri May 04, 2007 7:48 am

Post by hamid_m
Fri May 04, 2007 7:48 am

Thanks alot Jon. :wink: , I am a new user of this forum. I try to send more pictures and info. today.
Thanks alot Jon. :wink: , I am a new user of this forum. I try to send more pictures and info. today.
hamid_m offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by hamid_m » Fri May 04, 2007 3:35 pm

Post by hamid_m
Fri May 04, 2007 3:35 pm

Hello,

Here is a video of our bioloid robot using the vision module to play football. Thanks the camera module "FUCam" it can perform the whole task using only its CM5.

http://robosavvy.com/Builders/hamid_m/DSCF2226.AVI
Hello,

Here is a video of our bioloid robot using the vision module to play football. Thanks the camera module "FUCam" it can perform the whole task using only its CM5.

hamid_m offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by cobracon » Fri May 04, 2007 3:51 pm

Post by cobracon
Fri May 04, 2007 3:51 pm

hamid_m wrote:Hello,

Very nice cam. Great work. I'll keep it in mind when I get a bioloid.
hamid_m wrote:Hello,

Very nice cam. Great work. I'll keep it in mind when I get a bioloid.
cobracon offline

Post by JonHylands » Fri May 04, 2007 4:05 pm

Post by JonHylands
Fri May 04, 2007 4:05 pm

Wow, that is so neat !!!

I notice you seem to have something on the bottom of the feet - you can just the edge peeking out. What did you put there?

Are you using any kind of balance sensor, like an accelerometer or gyro?

What is the extra box under the CM-5? And the blue plugs in behind the camera tilt servo?

That is really impressive - hopefully BrainBot will be able to do something like that soon...

- Jon
Wow, that is so neat !!!

I notice you seem to have something on the bottom of the feet - you can just the edge peeking out. What did you put there?

Are you using any kind of balance sensor, like an accelerometer or gyro?

What is the extra box under the CM-5? And the blue plugs in behind the camera tilt servo?

That is really impressive - hopefully BrainBot will be able to do something like that soon...

- Jon
JonHylands offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by hamid_m » Fri May 04, 2007 5:21 pm

Post by hamid_m
Fri May 04, 2007 5:21 pm

on the bottom of the feet is only a piece of rubber and no sensors. under CM5 is a place for batteries. we use liPoly type. the blue parts are the on and off switch of the robot plus a small voltage watchdog to avoid batteries being discharged.
There is no other non-bioloid parts there except our lovely camera module. :wink:

Hamid
on the bottom of the feet is only a piece of rubber and no sensors. under CM5 is a place for batteries. we use liPoly type. the blue parts are the on and off switch of the robot plus a small voltage watchdog to avoid batteries being discharged.
There is no other non-bioloid parts there except our lovely camera module. :wink:

Hamid
hamid_m offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by limor » Fri May 04, 2007 8:15 pm

Post by limor
Fri May 04, 2007 8:15 pm

Very impressive video!
Having attended the Robocup in Bremen last year, I can say that this humanoid is fast in identifying the ball and getting to the ball. And than that kick that throws him to one side and the foot that is thrown down to prevent a fall..wow!. that is very cool (reminds a little of the videos from boston dynamics?)
Very impressive video!
Having attended the Robocup in Bremen last year, I can say that this humanoid is fast in identifying the ball and getting to the ball. And than that kick that throws him to one side and the foot that is thrown down to prevent a fall..wow!. that is very cool (reminds a little of the videos from boston dynamics?)
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by hamid_m » Fri May 04, 2007 8:28 pm

Post by hamid_m
Fri May 04, 2007 8:28 pm

Thanks!! We plan to become the world champion this year, a good dream!! :wink: No...t?
Thanks!! We plan to become the world champion this year, a good dream!! :wink: No...t?
hamid_m offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by billyzelsnack » Sat May 05, 2007 1:16 am

Post by billyzelsnack
Sat May 05, 2007 1:16 am

More vids! More vids!
More vids! More vids!
billyzelsnack offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by hamid_m » Thu May 24, 2007 8:54 pm

Post by hamid_m
Thu May 24, 2007 8:54 pm

Hi everybody,

Here is a new video from our robot. The robot finds out wether it falls down and if yes stands up again. All of these without accelerometer!!!

http://robosavvy.com/site/Builders/hamid_m/Standup.AVI

Hamid.
Hi everybody,

Here is a new video from our robot. The robot finds out wether it falls down and if yes stands up again. All of these without accelerometer!!!

http://robosavvy.com/site/Builders/hamid_m/Standup.AVI

Hamid.
hamid_m offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by limor » Fri May 25, 2007 1:19 am

Post by limor
Fri May 25, 2007 1:19 am

hamid_m wrote:All of these without accelerometer!!!

so you use the information from the camera to determine if the robot has fallen on its face?
hamid_m wrote:All of these without accelerometer!!!

so you use the information from the camera to determine if the robot has fallen on its face?
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Next
Next