LED eyes

KHR-1, KHR-2HV, KHR-3HV, ICS servos, RCB controllers and other Kondo products
6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1

LED eyes

Post by Pinocchio » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Post by Pinocchio
Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:20 pm

During my recent visit to Japan, I picked up a KHR-3HV version 2 package, but I didn't get the LED eyes.

does anyone know where I can get some full color LEDs in the USA? do i need resistors? hopefully there's a kit with the right size etc.

thanks!
During my recent visit to Japan, I picked up a KHR-3HV version 2 package, but I didn't get the LED eyes.

does anyone know where I can get some full color LEDs in the USA? do i need resistors? hopefully there's a kit with the right size etc.

thanks!
Pinocchio offline

Post by Fer » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:01 am

Post by Fer
Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:01 am

You have a manual in Japanese explaining the materials you need to make LED eyes.
This is the download link:

http://www.robospot.jp/pdf/06_PIO_manual.pdf
You have a manual in Japanese explaining the materials you need to make LED eyes.
This is the download link:

http://www.robospot.jp/pdf/06_PIO_manual.pdf
Fer offline

Post by Pinocchio » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:58 am

Post by Pinocchio
Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:58 am

thank you! do you know if the manual applies to full color led? i think it is a 5mm RGB Led with 4 pins. 3 anodes and a common cathode.

i'll have to try to google translate the document and figure this out.
thank you! do you know if the manual applies to full color led? i think it is a 5mm RGB Led with 4 pins. 3 anodes and a common cathode.

i'll have to try to google translate the document and figure this out.
Pinocchio offline

Post by Fer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:50 am

Post by Fer
Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:50 am

You can use 5mm LED high brightness and 3 volts of any color with a resistor, then connect to PIO 1 and 2, making it easy.

Regards.[/img]
You can use 5mm LED high brightness and 3 volts of any color with a resistor, then connect to PIO 1 and 2, making it easy.

Regards.[/img]
Fer offline

Post by Pinocchio » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:44 pm

Post by Pinocchio
Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:44 pm

there's only two LEDs, one for each eye. each LED has 3 colors in it, RGB, which can make any color.

the LED has 4 pins, one being the common cathode. i would have to use PIO 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ?

i guess i have to find LEDs and try it out. thanks!
there's only two LEDs, one for each eye. each LED has 3 colors in it, RGB, which can make any color.

the LED has 4 pins, one being the common cathode. i would have to use PIO 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ?

i guess i have to find LEDs and try it out. thanks!
Pinocchio offline

Post by Pinocchio » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:02 pm

Post by Pinocchio
Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:02 pm

just to follow up, i was able to get the Full Color LED eyes working.

i bought servo extension leads with Futaba J connectors. some 1/4W resistors, and 5mm RGB common cathode diffused LEDs.

i pulled each pin out of the Futaba connectors and reordered them so all 8 wires lay in a ribbon format for better routing, like [RG(BC)][(CR)GB] (left and right eyes). these went into the PIO slots 1 - 6, respectively. i only had to connect the common cathode lead to one connector each (in my case, the ground of PIO 3 and 4)(1, 2, 5, 6 only have one wire, no ground).

the LEDs have minimal voltage requirements, so i used 180 ohm for Green and Blue, and 330 ohm for Red. 330 ohm is slightly lower than the minimal voltage but it worked. I may try to increase resistance because the LED is too bright, even though they are diffused.

I used 26AWG servo leads, but maybe 32AWG would be better.

now i have multi-color eyes that can be controlled independently.
just to follow up, i was able to get the Full Color LED eyes working.

i bought servo extension leads with Futaba J connectors. some 1/4W resistors, and 5mm RGB common cathode diffused LEDs.

i pulled each pin out of the Futaba connectors and reordered them so all 8 wires lay in a ribbon format for better routing, like [RG(BC)][(CR)GB] (left and right eyes). these went into the PIO slots 1 - 6, respectively. i only had to connect the common cathode lead to one connector each (in my case, the ground of PIO 3 and 4)(1, 2, 5, 6 only have one wire, no ground).

the LEDs have minimal voltage requirements, so i used 180 ohm for Green and Blue, and 330 ohm for Red. 330 ohm is slightly lower than the minimal voltage but it worked. I may try to increase resistance because the LED is too bright, even though they are diffused.

I used 26AWG servo leads, but maybe 32AWG would be better.

now i have multi-color eyes that can be controlled independently.
Pinocchio offline

6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1