Some playing experiences and one question about Pandaboard

Custom built or hacked Electronic boards and sensors
5 postsPage 1 of 1
5 postsPage 1 of 1

Some playing experiences and one question about Pandaboard

Post by siempre.aprendiendo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Post by siempre.aprendiendo
Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:33 pm

After too much overthinking about choosing a controller, I have chosen a Pandaboard ES

It's working very well with Ubuntu, specially with the Sandisk ultra class 6 card which performance is pretty good even with GUI; far better than the Kingston HC class 10. By the way, the Ubuntu installation is very easy.

I have tested it controlling the AX-12 with C++ and C# (with Mono) code. With C# I have found a very strange problem when working with USB2Dynamixel at 1M, it doesn't work.

I have tried a very simple battery solution, four 1.2V AA GP ReCycko rechargeable batteries and a battery holder and it last around 30 minutes, with no USB device connected (except the USB2Dynamixel, of course)

And, finally, my question is about the best approach to interface to +3.3V or +5V sensors. A level shifter like this one?
After too much overthinking about choosing a controller, I have chosen a Pandaboard ES

It's working very well with Ubuntu, specially with the Sandisk ultra class 6 card which performance is pretty good even with GUI; far better than the Kingston HC class 10. By the way, the Ubuntu installation is very easy.

I have tested it controlling the AX-12 with C++ and C# (with Mono) code. With C# I have found a very strange problem when working with USB2Dynamixel at 1M, it doesn't work.

I have tried a very simple battery solution, four 1.2V AA GP ReCycko rechargeable batteries and a battery holder and it last around 30 minutes, with no USB device connected (except the USB2Dynamixel, of course)

And, finally, my question is about the best approach to interface to +3.3V or +5V sensors. A level shifter like this one?
siempre.aprendiendo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by limor » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Post by limor
Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi
thanks for posting.
Yes, this level shifter should work fine

there are so many new ARM boards thanks to the Chinese A5 and Rasberry-Pi that it is difficult to know what to get.
The panda has been around for a while and had good price/performance a couple of years ago. You still get the best support for this board and beagle thanks to the big US online hobby community that uses these boards and solves kernel issues.
Hi
thanks for posting.
Yes, this level shifter should work fine

there are so many new ARM boards thanks to the Chinese A5 and Rasberry-Pi that it is difficult to know what to get.
The panda has been around for a while and had good price/performance a couple of years ago. You still get the best support for this board and beagle thanks to the big US online hobby community that uses these boards and solves kernel issues.
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by siempre.aprendiendo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 pm

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 pm

Thanks Limor

Yes, there is a very good community and Ubuntu support, I really need it :), but IMHO it's a little pricey.

In a few days I should receive a Raspberry too, I think that this cheap and so popular board as Bioloid brain could be very interesting.

By the way, this one of the first prototypes of a new Bioloid based "creature" with Pandaboard

Thanks Limor

Yes, there is a very good community and Ubuntu support, I really need it :), but IMHO it's a little pricey.

In a few days I should receive a Raspberry too, I think that this cheap and so popular board as Bioloid brain could be very interesting.

By the way, this one of the first prototypes of a new Bioloid based "creature" with Pandaboard

Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by limor » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:24 pm

Post by limor
Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:24 pm

you mixed Robotis servos, 3D printed structure, lego and Panda !

Dan-10 master ninja roboteer
:P
you mixed Robotis servos, 3D printed structure, lego and Panda !

Dan-10 master ninja roboteer
:P
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by siempre.aprendiendo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Hahaha, thanks Limor.

My friend Pepe, and also Bioloid player, has created the wood base with a milling machine and I am trying to get an easy system to attach different boards to it using Lego Technics for prototyping.
Hahaha, thanks Limor.

My friend Pepe, and also Bioloid player, has created the wood base with a milling machine and I am trying to get an easy system to attach different boards to it using Lego Technics for prototyping.
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

5 postsPage 1 of 1
5 postsPage 1 of 1