The BeagleBone Revisited
http://www.designspark.com/content/beaglebone-revisited
siempre.aprendiendo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by i-Bot » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:43 pm

Post by i-Bot
Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:43 pm

I have both Beaglebone and Pi. When I did the beauty contest comparison then I had similar conclusions to the article. In fact I preferred the Beaglebone based to its superior technical spec. and the more open nature of the TI processor.
However when it can to choosing between them for my DARwin-AX projects, I choose the Pi. This choice was not based on the popularity of Pi, though that of course has greatly helped the support and accessibility of the Pi.

Being far from experienced in Linux I found the Pi easier to get up and running, and better supported by their community.

I use Raspbian, and in running the DARwin code and adding many modifications have never had to rebuild the kernel. The Pi also has the advantage of two USB ports, so I could add both WLAN and USB Camera without an additional hub.

Both Beaglebone and Pi fit onto the Bioloid Premium if you use low profile USB devices and half size SD card adapters.

The Pi is obviously challenged on the USB implementation and that did make choice of WLAN and webcam difficult. My Dynamixels run off the SPI port via an SPI to Dynamixel bridge whcih allows sub millisecond performance without USB problems. Similarily the IMU runs off the Pi I2C port, and I have SPP serial bluetooth on the Pi serial port, so I can shut down the WLAN if I need to improve USB performance for webcam. Maybe the new Pi camera will help too, but not sure if I can get that interface stretched over to the pan/tilt head.

Obviously different applications and more competent Linux folk may prefer the Bone, but I have found Pi most effective.
I have both Beaglebone and Pi. When I did the beauty contest comparison then I had similar conclusions to the article. In fact I preferred the Beaglebone based to its superior technical spec. and the more open nature of the TI processor.
However when it can to choosing between them for my DARwin-AX projects, I choose the Pi. This choice was not based on the popularity of Pi, though that of course has greatly helped the support and accessibility of the Pi.

Being far from experienced in Linux I found the Pi easier to get up and running, and better supported by their community.

I use Raspbian, and in running the DARwin code and adding many modifications have never had to rebuild the kernel. The Pi also has the advantage of two USB ports, so I could add both WLAN and USB Camera without an additional hub.

Both Beaglebone and Pi fit onto the Bioloid Premium if you use low profile USB devices and half size SD card adapters.

The Pi is obviously challenged on the USB implementation and that did make choice of WLAN and webcam difficult. My Dynamixels run off the SPI port via an SPI to Dynamixel bridge whcih allows sub millisecond performance without USB problems. Similarily the IMU runs off the Pi I2C port, and I have SPP serial bluetooth on the Pi serial port, so I can shut down the WLAN if I need to improve USB performance for webcam. Maybe the new Pi camera will help too, but not sure if I can get that interface stretched over to the pan/tilt head.

Obviously different applications and more competent Linux folk may prefer the Bone, but I have found Pi most effective.
i-Bot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

2 postsPage 1 of 1
2 postsPage 1 of 1