Dagu - Wild Thumper 4WD, 6WD and Arduino DC Motor Controller

Traditional mobile robotics is all about wheeled robots.
20 postsPage 2 of 21, 2
20 postsPage 2 of 21, 2

great!

Post by tiberio » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Post by tiberio
Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:18 pm

thank you so much for the quick answer.

problem solved.

i only have one question: when the platform need too much torque or power it turn off automatically and i cannot control anymore until i turn the switch on and off.
why does that???

however, thank you so much!!!
thank you so much for the quick answer.

problem solved.

i only have one question: when the platform need too much torque or power it turn off automatically and i cannot control anymore until i turn the switch on and off.
why does that???

tiberio offline

Post by MOHIT JINDAL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:40 am

Post by MOHIT JINDAL
Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:40 am

Which is the Best controller Board to control 8 or 16 DC motors 12 volts and 5amp current each ? :roll:
Which is the Best controller Board to control 8 or 16 DC motors 12 volts and 5amp current each ? :roll:
MOHIT JINDAL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Re: great!

Post by OddBot » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:02 pm

Post by OddBot
Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:02 pm

tiberio wrote:thank you so much for the quick answer.

problem solved.

why does that???

This is happening because the battery voltage is dropping too low. Assuming your battery is fully charged:

Either your battery is not suitable and cannot deliver enough current (stall current is in excess of 30A) or your power wiring (including the switch) between the battery and the controller is not rated for at least 25A.

I suggest you use automotive wiring with a 30A rating. If you have not got one already then I recommend using the high current switch that is designed for the Wild Thumper. This switch is solid state and has a maximum rating of 60A.

Note: the sample code assumes the use of a 7.2V NiMH (4700mAH) battery and the cut off point is about 6V. If you are using a different battery then you will need to adjust some values in the sample code. The sample code will shut the 6WD down automatically if the battery voltage falls below the cut off voltage.
tiberio wrote:thank you so much for the quick answer.

problem solved.

why does that???

This is happening because the battery voltage is dropping too low. Assuming your battery is fully charged:

Either your battery is not suitable and cannot deliver enough current (stall current is in excess of 30A) or your power wiring (including the switch) between the battery and the controller is not rated for at least 25A.

I suggest you use automotive wiring with a 30A rating. If you have not got one already then I recommend using the high current switch that is designed for the Wild Thumper. This switch is solid state and has a maximum rating of 60A.

Note: the sample code assumes the use of a 7.2V NiMH (4700mAH) battery and the cut off point is about 6V. If you are using a different battery then you will need to adjust some values in the sample code. The sample code will shut the 6WD down automatically if the battery voltage falls below the cut off voltage.
OddBot offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

30A??? maybe 3,0A

Post by tiberio » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Post by tiberio
Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Hello again,
I tested the battery, (the one suggested in the kit)) and the voltage is over 6V, so battery is not a problem.

The switcher is the one in the kit, so the switcher is not a problem.

I changed the wiring (but I think you meant 2,5A or 3,0A because if I'm not wrong 25A are wires for industrial use) with wires with a top rate of 6Ampere.

And it is still giving me the problem.

Any suggestion? could be a problem with the code?

thanksss
Hello again,
I tested the battery, (the one suggested in the kit)) and the voltage is over 6V, so battery is not a problem.

I changed the wiring (but I think you meant 2,5A or 3,0A because if I'm not wrong 25A are wires for industrial use) with wires with a top rate of 6Ampere.

thanksss
tiberio offline

Re: 30A??? maybe 3,0A

Post by OddBot » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:20 am

Post by OddBot
Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:20 am

tiberio wrote:Hello again,

thanksss

No, I mean 25A to 30A!! That is why the Switch has a 60A maximum rating.

Your Battery should have 8.4V when fully charged. It should not be allowed to get below 6V as this can damage a LiPo battery.

Ultimately you will have to adjust your code to suit that battery. Make sure you do not try to use the recharge socket with that battery as the recharge circuit was designed for NiMh batteries.

Each motor has a stall current of 5.5A and will draw about 2-3A going over rough terrain. As there are 6 motors the typical current draw on rough terrain is about 15A.
tiberio wrote:Hello again,

thanksss

No, I mean 25A to 30A!! That is why the Switch has a 60A maximum rating.

Your Battery should have 8.4V when fully charged. It should not be allowed to get below 6V as this can damage a LiPo battery.

Ultimately you will have to adjust your code to suit that battery. Make sure you do not try to use the recharge socket with that battery as the recharge circuit was designed for NiMh batteries.

Each motor has a stall current of 5.5A and will draw about 2-3A going over rough terrain. As there are 6 motors the typical current draw on rough terrain is about 15A.
OddBot offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Previous
Previous
20 postsPage 2 of 21, 2
20 postsPage 2 of 21, 2