Can't Program Wild Thumper Arduino Controller

Traditional mobile robotics is all about wheeled robots.
9 postsPage 1 of 1
9 postsPage 1 of 1

Can't Program Wild Thumper Arduino Controller

Post by dleal » Wed May 25, 2011 11:07 am

Post by dleal
Wed May 25, 2011 11:07 am

Hi,

Been recently using the Wild Thumper Arduino motor controller and while traveling the USB plug was detached, I did some tests and micro is okay the last program I uploaded works as its supposed to using the TX and RX pins.

I re-soldered the usb plug to its place (I connected only TX, RX and ground according to schematics ) and I cant program the device anymore I get this error:

avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x64
avrdude: failed to write flash memory, rc=-4
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

(Using Arduino 0018 as before the incident it was the only version that worked for me)

any ideas how to get it back to programming? I have an STK500 and AVRISP could I load directly or try to re-burn the bootloader?

any ideas welcome

David
Hi,

Been recently using the Wild Thumper Arduino motor controller and while traveling the USB plug was detached, I did some tests and micro is okay the last program I uploaded works as its supposed to using the TX and RX pins.

I re-soldered the usb plug to its place (I connected only TX, RX and ground according to schematics ) and I cant program the device anymore I get this error:

(Using Arduino 0018 as before the incident it was the only version that worked for me)

any ideas how to get it back to programming? I have an STK500 and AVRISP could I load directly or try to re-burn the bootloader?

any ideas welcome

David
dleal offline

Post by PedroR » Wed May 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Post by PedroR
Wed May 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi

What you can try and do is use a USB to TTl Serial adapter such as this one http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info ... cts_id/986 (or this one which is more flexible http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info ... cts_id/545) and connect the RX and TX to the Arduino pins 0 and 1. (adapter TX to Arduino pin 0 and adapter RX to arduino pin 1, I believe this is the correct sequence).

The RX and TX on the USB port are in parallel with Arduino pin 0 and 1 so you can just bypass the built in USB port and just use the USB to TTL Serial adapter for programming.

The only thing is that you need to press RESET on the board manually when you press DOWNLOAD on the Arduino IDE.

Regards
Pedro
Hi

What you can try and do is use a USB to TTl Serial adapter such as this one http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info ... cts_id/986 (or this one which is more flexible http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info ... cts_id/545) and connect the RX and TX to the Arduino pins 0 and 1. (adapter TX to Arduino pin 0 and adapter RX to arduino pin 1, I believe this is the correct sequence).

The RX and TX on the USB port are in parallel with Arduino pin 0 and 1 so you can just bypass the built in USB port and just use the USB to TTL Serial adapter for programming.

The only thing is that you need to press RESET on the board manually when you press DOWNLOAD on the Arduino IDE.

Regards
Pedro
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by dleal » Thu May 26, 2011 9:34 am

Post by dleal
Thu May 26, 2011 9:34 am

Tried using Sparkfun FTDI basic 5V directly into pons 0 and 1 in the header just next to the USB connector (the ones I use to send data serially) and I get nothing now I get this error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

that is the error I get when I try to program anything without being connected.

I dont know which error is worse now.. I will try to use a teensy board to convert USB (virtual serial) to TTL levels and see If I can program it.

Im pressing the reset button and releasing it when I press program

lets see if it works

David
Tried using Sparkfun FTDI basic 5V directly into pons 0 and 1 in the header just next to the USB connector (the ones I use to send data serially) and I get nothing now I get this error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

that is the error I get when I try to program anything without being connected.

I dont know which error is worse now.. I will try to use a teensy board to convert USB (virtual serial) to TTL levels and see If I can program it.

Im pressing the reset button and releasing it when I press program

lets see if it works

David
dleal offline

Post by PedroR » Thu May 26, 2011 10:02 am

Post by PedroR
Thu May 26, 2011 10:02 am

Hi

I believe this error occurs because the Arduino IDE can't enter the bootloader.

The correct sequence to program an Arduino with an external FTDI board is this (this is the same sequence used for example with Arduino Minis as well which don't have built in USB port):

- Verify that the board model is set correctly: You should set it to "Arduino Diecimila , Duemilanuove or Nano with ATMEGA168"

- Compile/Verify the code in the IDE by clicking the "Play" button
If all is OK, proceed:

- Select the correct COMM port (make sure you have the correct COM port number set in Tools -> Serial Port

- Press the Upload Button.
The IDE will be waiting for the RESET on the board in order to enter the bootloader.

- 1 or 2 seconds after pressing the Upload button in the IDE, press RESET on the board.
This should make the IDE enter the Bootloader.

You may also need to check/confirm that Pin 0 is RX an Pin 1 is TX because I don't fully recall (you may try exchanging the pin connections).

The reason why you don't need to manually press RESET when using the USB port is because they use a trick on the FTDI chip so that the computer can issue the RESET automatically. This a feature of modern Arduinos. In the old days (and still in the Pro Mini for example), this feature wasn't present and you need to follow the procedure above.

I trust there is nothing wrong with your Wild Thumper controller.
We also had a similar issue of the USB port coming loose for us it was kind of pointless to try and solder it back. We just resorted to using pins 0 and 1 for programming, using an external FTDI.

Ah one other important thing: you need to make sure the board is powered on. So make sure you apply power to the wild thumper/turn it on.

Again the USB cable powers on the board automatically but when using an FTDI you need to power the board manually by yourself.

Regards
Pedro
Hi

I believe this error occurs because the Arduino IDE can't enter the bootloader.

The correct sequence to program an Arduino with an external FTDI board is this (this is the same sequence used for example with Arduino Minis as well which don't have built in USB port):

- Verify that the board model is set correctly: You should set it to "Arduino Diecimila , Duemilanuove or Nano with ATMEGA168"

- Compile/Verify the code in the IDE by clicking the "Play" button
If all is OK, proceed:

- Select the correct COMM port (make sure you have the correct COM port number set in Tools -> Serial Port

- Press the Upload Button.
The IDE will be waiting for the RESET on the board in order to enter the bootloader.

- 1 or 2 seconds after pressing the Upload button in the IDE, press RESET on the board.
This should make the IDE enter the Bootloader.

You may also need to check/confirm that Pin 0 is RX an Pin 1 is TX because I don't fully recall (you may try exchanging the pin connections).

The reason why you don't need to manually press RESET when using the USB port is because they use a trick on the FTDI chip so that the computer can issue the RESET automatically. This a feature of modern Arduinos. In the old days (and still in the Pro Mini for example), this feature wasn't present and you need to follow the procedure above.

I trust there is nothing wrong with your Wild Thumper controller.
We also had a similar issue of the USB port coming loose for us it was kind of pointless to try and solder it back. We just resorted to using pins 0 and 1 for programming, using an external FTDI.

Ah one other important thing: you need to make sure the board is powered on. So make sure you apply power to the wild thumper/turn it on.

Again the USB cable powers on the board automatically but when using an FTDI you need to power the board manually by yourself.

Regards
Pedro
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by dleal » Thu May 26, 2011 10:16 am

Post by dleal
Thu May 26, 2011 10:16 am

PLayed with the TX/RX and the timing of the reset and now I see the LED's blinking more that before on the FTDI and now instead of the previous no connection error now I get the error I was getting while using the re-soldered USB connector:

maybe the resoldered USB is working okay, but I have problem with the bootloader?

David
PLayed with the TX/RX and the timing of the reset and now I see the LED's blinking more that before on the FTDI and now instead of the previous no connection error now I get the error I was getting while using the re-soldered USB connector:

maybe the resoldered USB is working okay, but I have problem with the bootloader?

David
dleal offline

Post by PedroR » Thu May 26, 2011 11:26 am

Post by PedroR
Thu May 26, 2011 11:26 am

Hi dleal

I believe we're getting close here.

Please make sure of the following:

- In the IDE, choose Tools->Board and make sure "Arduino Diecimila , Duemilanuove or Nano with ATMEGA168" is selected

- Disconnect all other peripherals/pins from the board just leave the RX/TX and power (if you're using any power pins there; if you're powering through the wild thumper battery then skip this).

We've had issues in the past trying to program the Board with external components connected (such as the Remote Control Receiver).

If still you are unable to program then you may need to replace the board although I am quite confident the board should be ok.

You can also google the error codes you're seeing as it may help. For example this one http://www.google.com/search?q=avrdude% ... esp%3D0x64

Regards
Pedro
Hi dleal

I believe we're getting close here.

Please make sure of the following:

- In the IDE, choose Tools->Board and make sure "Arduino Diecimila , Duemilanuove or Nano with ATMEGA168" is selected

- Disconnect all other peripherals/pins from the board just leave the RX/TX and power (if you're using any power pins there; if you're powering through the wild thumper battery then skip this).

We've had issues in the past trying to program the Board with external components connected (such as the Remote Control Receiver).

If still you are unable to program then you may need to replace the board although I am quite confident the board should be ok.

You can also google the error codes you're seeing as it may help. For example this one http://www.google.com/search?q=avrdude% ... esp%3D0x64

Regards
Pedro
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by dleal » Thu May 26, 2011 12:13 pm

Post by dleal
Thu May 26, 2011 12:13 pm

*It was been like this all the time

*Only power from the power supply going into the battery input and the USB cable are connected, nothing else.

these setting I've used all the time..... This happened once before it broke and suddenly started working again, havent been able to fix it this time....

*It was been like this all the time

*Only power from the power supply going into the battery input and the USB cable are connected, nothing else.

these setting I've used all the time..... This happened once before it broke and suddenly started working again, havent been able to fix it this time....
dleal offline

Post by PedroR » Thu May 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Post by PedroR
Thu May 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi

In that case if googling for solutions for the errors you're getting is not returning any useful results then we suggest you contact the place of purchase to send the board for repair.

You can also try, instead of powering the board using the LiPo battery, disconnect the Lipo and power the Arduino controller directly by connecting Gnd and Vdd of the Arduino to an external 5V source.

Apart from this there is nothing else I can think of.

Regards
Pedro.
Hi

In that case if googling for solutions for the errors you're getting is not returning any useful results then we suggest you contact the place of purchase to send the board for repair.

You can also try, instead of powering the board using the LiPo battery, disconnect the Lipo and power the Arduino controller directly by connecting Gnd and Vdd of the Arduino to an external 5V source.

Apart from this there is nothing else I can think of.

Regards
Pedro.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by dleal » Mon May 30, 2011 7:51 am

Post by dleal
Mon May 30, 2011 7:51 am

Does anyone know how I could re-burn the bootloader on this board?,

I have an STK500 an AVRISP and some other Arduino and Arduino equivalents.
Does anyone know how I could re-burn the bootloader on this board?,

I have an STK500 an AVRISP and some other Arduino and Arduino equivalents.
dleal offline

9 postsPage 1 of 1
9 postsPage 1 of 1