Need help with Mr. Tidy

Traditional mobile robotics is all about wheeled robots.
4 postsPage 1 of 1
4 postsPage 1 of 1

Need help with Mr. Tidy

Post by Jezter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Post by Jezter
Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi, I have a Mr. Tidy robot and from what I understand I should be able to take it out of the box, Upload the sample software, and this thing should just go ahead and pick up cups. Well mine does not. I am stummped and been working on this thing for a week now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hi, I have a Mr. Tidy robot and from what I understand I should be able to take it out of the box, Upload the sample software, and this thing should just go ahead and pick up cups. Well mine does not. I am stummped and been working on this thing for a week now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Jezter offline

Re: Need help with Mr. Tidy

Post by OddBot » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:16 am

Post by OddBot
Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:16 am

Jezter wrote:Hi, I have a Mr. Tidy robot and from what I understand I should be able to take it out of the box, Upload the sample software, and this thing should just go ahead and pick up cups. Well mine does not. I am stummped and been working on this thing for a week now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

No, this is not a toy that you just "turn on".

Mr. Tidy is a complex robot with many sensors, some that need to be calibrated to work properly. Especially the IR object detection and navigation sensors which need some mechanical adjustment to ensure they are correctly aligned (e.g. Have the LEDs and photo transistors of each sensor parallel to each other).

Although the sample code worked on a robot it my office there is some calibration that must also be done in the code such as adjusting the PWM values of the red green and blue LEDs for colour recognition.

The sample code is intended as a base you can build upon with subroutines for most of the basic functions. You can program the robot to sort objects by size, weight and colour if you wish.
Jezter wrote:Hi, I have a Mr. Tidy robot and from what I understand I should be able to take it out of the box, Upload the sample software, and this thing should just go ahead and pick up cups. Well mine does not. I am stummped and been working on this thing for a week now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

No, this is not a toy that you just "turn on".

Mr. Tidy is a complex robot with many sensors, some that need to be calibrated to work properly. Especially the IR object detection and navigation sensors which need some mechanical adjustment to ensure they are correctly aligned (e.g. Have the LEDs and photo transistors of each sensor parallel to each other).

Although the sample code worked on a robot it my office there is some calibration that must also be done in the code such as adjusting the PWM values of the red green and blue LEDs for colour recognition.

The sample code is intended as a base you can build upon with subroutines for most of the basic functions. You can program the robot to sort objects by size, weight and colour if you wish.
OddBot offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by Jezter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:30 am

Post by Jezter
Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:30 am

Forgive my ignorance as this is my first robot but where do I even begin on any of that. I have some electronics experience but I'm not familiar with arduino at all.... I'm kind of lost on this whole thing. I now know that I should be a little more knowledgeable before tackling something I thought would be so easy.
Forgive my ignorance as this is my first robot but where do I even begin on any of that. I have some electronics experience but I'm not familiar with arduino at all.... I'm kind of lost on this whole thing. I now know that I should be a little more knowledgeable before tackling something I thought would be so easy.
Jezter offline

Post by OddBot » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:28 am

Post by OddBot
Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:28 am

Jezter wrote:Forgive my ignorance as this is my first robot but where do I even begin on any of that. I have some electronics experience but I'm not familiar with arduino at all.... I'm kind of lost on this whole thing. I now know that I should be a little more knowledgeable before tackling something I thought would be so easy.

No need to apologise. You will need to learn to program in Arduino C language which is a simplified version of C++. You will find that once you can program an Arduino then your electronics experience will be a big help.

If you join a site like "letsmakerobots.com" then you will receive a lot of help. You can learn about the language more here: http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage
[/quote]
Jezter wrote:Forgive my ignorance as this is my first robot but where do I even begin on any of that. I have some electronics experience but I'm not familiar with arduino at all.... I'm kind of lost on this whole thing. I now know that I should be a little more knowledgeable before tackling something I thought would be so easy.

No need to apologise. You will need to learn to program in Arduino C language which is a simplified version of C++. You will find that once you can program an Arduino then your electronics experience will be a big help.

If you join a site like "letsmakerobots.com" then you will receive a lot of help. You can learn about the language more here: http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage
[/quote]
OddBot offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

4 postsPage 1 of 1
4 postsPage 1 of 1