Help with Navigation for a Mobile Robot

Traditional mobile robotics is all about wheeled robots.
1 postPage 1 of 1
1 postPage 1 of 1

Help with Navigation for a Mobile Robot

Post by Alexceptional » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Post by Alexceptional
Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Hello. I'm a Robotics student and I'm looking for a little advice, including which products to purchase from the Robosavvy store.

My current task is to come up with a robot that can navigate it's way to a point based on coordinates pre-loaded onto the robot. There will be no lines or other optical guides on the surface it moves across. There are however walls at each side of the surface.

My question is; what is the best way to go about this, in your opinion, based on the kit and sensors available from Robosavvy?

The best idea I've had is to purchase a system like this:
http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info ... cts_id/547
and add/remove sensors. I feel a two wheeled robot is the best for precise rotation about a point, is this correct?

As for sensors, I thought a combination of IR distance sensor and possibly a magnetometer of some sort for compass/direction detection would be a good idea, using the edges of the navigation area for distance measurement for the IR sensor.

Any thoughts?
Hello. I'm a Robotics student and I'm looking for a little advice, including which products to purchase from the Robosavvy store.

My current task is to come up with a robot that can navigate it's way to a point based on coordinates pre-loaded onto the robot. There will be no lines or other optical guides on the surface it moves across. There are however walls at each side of the surface.

My question is; what is the best way to go about this, in your opinion, based on the kit and sensors available from Robosavvy?

The best idea I've had is to purchase a system like this:
http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info ... cts_id/547
and add/remove sensors. I feel a two wheeled robot is the best for precise rotation about a point, is this correct?

As for sensors, I thought a combination of IR distance sensor and possibly a magnetometer of some sort for compass/direction detection would be a good idea, using the edges of the navigation area for distance measurement for the IR sensor.

Any thoughts?
Alexceptional offline

1 postPage 1 of 1
1 postPage 1 of 1