Wild Thumper Arduino DC Motor Controller - Broken USB Socket

Traditional mobile robotics is all about wheeled robots.
10 postsPage 1 of 1
10 postsPage 1 of 1

Wild Thumper Arduino DC Motor Controller - Broken USB Socket

Post by darrconn » Tue May 15, 2012 10:08 am

Post by darrconn
Tue May 15, 2012 10:08 am

Hello,

The mini USB socket socket has broken off the controller, is there a way to fit another USB socket or program the controller using a different method?

Regards,

Darrconn
Hello,

The mini USB socket socket has broken off the controller, is there a way to fit another USB socket or program the controller using a different method?

Regards,

Darrconn
darrconn offline

Post by Fritzoid » Tue May 15, 2012 11:55 am

Post by Fritzoid
Tue May 15, 2012 11:55 am

darrconn,

You can use an ISP (in-system programmer) to re-write the program (flash) memory in the AVR. It's not as convenient as downloading but it will still get the job done.
darrconn,

You can use an ISP (in-system programmer) to re-write the program (flash) memory in the AVR. It's not as convenient as downloading but it will still get the job done.
Fritzoid offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by darrconn » Tue May 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Post by darrconn
Tue May 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi Fritzoid,

Thanks for the quick response.

I am only familiar with the Arduino software for programming the controller (via USB), can this software be used to program using the ISP?

Darrconn
Hi Fritzoid,

Thanks for the quick response.

I am only familiar with the Arduino software for programming the controller (via USB), can this software be used to program using the ISP?

Darrconn
darrconn offline

Post by Fritzoid » Wed May 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Post by Fritzoid
Wed May 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi darrconn,

The arduino software uses the gcc compiler to compile and link your sketch with its base code to create the final application image. This image is written to a temporary file in the Intel HEX format. The arduino programming environment then transmits this HEX file to the board over the USB port using the boot loader.

Alternatively you can use an ISP to write the same HEX file directly to the flash memory in the AVR. The procedure would include compiling the sketch and attempting to download it (unsuccessfully) then flashing the AVR in a separate step outside of the arduino environment. The toughest part in this technique is finding out where the HEX file is hidden.

Another option is to use AVR Studio for your compiles and flashing. It requires a bit of effort to set up AVR Studio to use the arduino software but it will be easier to use in the long run. AVR Studio will not hide the HEX file and it has an integrated utility to do the flashing.

You can find out more about either one of these methods by searching some of the arduino forums.

Hope this helps.
Hi darrconn,

The arduino software uses the gcc compiler to compile and link your sketch with its base code to create the final application image. This image is written to a temporary file in the Intel HEX format. The arduino programming environment then transmits this HEX file to the board over the USB port using the boot loader.

Alternatively you can use an ISP to write the same HEX file directly to the flash memory in the AVR. The procedure would include compiling the sketch and attempting to download it (unsuccessfully) then flashing the AVR in a separate step outside of the arduino environment. The toughest part in this technique is finding out where the HEX file is hidden.

Another option is to use AVR Studio for your compiles and flashing. It requires a bit of effort to set up AVR Studio to use the arduino software but it will be easier to use in the long run. AVR Studio will not hide the HEX file and it has an integrated utility to do the flashing.

You can find out more about either one of these methods by searching some of the arduino forums.

Hope this helps.
Fritzoid offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by darrconn » Thu May 17, 2012 11:57 am

Post by darrconn
Thu May 17, 2012 11:57 am

Hi Fritzoid,

Thank you for the detailed information you posted, it is much appreciated.

Looking on the Arduino forums and negotiating the AVR Studio software i can see my understanding of what i need to do to program using the Arduino with the ISP is seriously lacking! It just doesn't make sense to me on what i need to do.

I have used the Arduino software with the USB to modify the existing program on the board and this is about the limit of my skills.

Is there a way to fix the broken USB socket on the board? I really don't want buy another controller as it would most likely break off again over time. the only thing holding the socket on the board was the USB connections.

Thanks again for your help.

Darrconn
Hi Fritzoid,

Thank you for the detailed information you posted, it is much appreciated.

Looking on the Arduino forums and negotiating the AVR Studio software i can see my understanding of what i need to do to program using the Arduino with the ISP is seriously lacking! It just doesn't make sense to me on what i need to do.

I have used the Arduino software with the USB to modify the existing program on the board and this is about the limit of my skills.

Is there a way to fix the broken USB socket on the board? I really don't want buy another controller as it would most likely break off again over time. the only thing holding the socket on the board was the USB connections.

Thanks again for your help.

Darrconn
darrconn offline

Post by i-Bot » Thu May 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Post by i-Bot
Thu May 17, 2012 1:32 pm

How badly damaged is the board ?
Since a replacement socket will have solder to all the existing pads, they all would need to be present and secure.
The USB mini B connectors are available on e-bay.
If they board is damaged, you may be able to glue on one of these:
http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info ... ts_id/2749
and then wire to what is left of tracks or pads.
Otherwise a replacement board I guess.
How badly damaged is the board ?
Since a replacement socket will have solder to all the existing pads, they all would need to be present and secure.
The USB mini B connectors are available on e-bay.
If they board is damaged, you may be able to glue on one of these:
http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info ... ts_id/2749
and then wire to what is left of tracks or pads.
Otherwise a replacement board I guess.
i-Bot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by darrconn » Thu May 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Post by darrconn
Thu May 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi i-Bot,

The board doesn't appear damaged at all, the broken off usb tags are still on the tracks but they should be able to be removed with a soldering iron.

I will check out eBay for the connector and try to fix a new connector directly to the board, if this doesn't work i will try the remote usb connector as shown in the link you included.

Regards,

Darrconn
Hi i-Bot,

The board doesn't appear damaged at all, the broken off usb tags are still on the tracks but they should be able to be removed with a soldering iron.

I will check out eBay for the connector and try to fix a new connector directly to the board, if this doesn't work i will try the remote usb connector as shown in the link you included.

Regards,

Darrconn
darrconn offline

Post by SK » Fri May 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Post by SK
Fri May 18, 2012 6:41 pm

We had this happen to our Wild Thumper controller too, seems to be a weak point. A colleague with good soldering skills managed to re-solder the socket. Works like a charm again now.
We had this happen to our Wild Thumper controller too, seems to be a weak point. A colleague with good soldering skills managed to re-solder the socket. Works like a charm again now.
SK offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PedroR » Mon May 21, 2012 10:39 am

Post by PedroR
Mon May 21, 2012 10:39 am

Hi

Just a quick stop to post another work around for the issue:

If you have a USB to TTL converter around you can connect RX and TX to pins 0 and 1. (remember to connect GND too).

You can then flash the Arduino directly using the USb 2 TTL serial Cable.

In practice native USB support works pretty much the same way: it is provided by an FTDI chip that is connected to pins 0 and 1.

The only thing you must do is manually RESET the board after pressing upload (the native USB connector does that on it's own).

We've salvaged quite a few Wild Thumpers for our own projects by doing this.

[ UPDATE ] This issue affected a small number of boards in early batches (it was due to insufficient older on the 4 pins that secure the connector to the board). It has been resolved by the manufacturer shortly after reporting the issue to them. [ /UPDATE ]

Regards
Pedro.
Hi

Just a quick stop to post another work around for the issue:

If you have a USB to TTL converter around you can connect RX and TX to pins 0 and 1. (remember to connect GND too).

You can then flash the Arduino directly using the USb 2 TTL serial Cable.

In practice native USB support works pretty much the same way: it is provided by an FTDI chip that is connected to pins 0 and 1.

The only thing you must do is manually RESET the board after pressing upload (the native USB connector does that on it's own).

We've salvaged quite a few Wild Thumpers for our own projects by doing this.

[ UPDATE ] This issue affected a small number of boards in early batches (it was due to insufficient older on the 4 pins that secure the connector to the board). It has been resolved by the manufacturer shortly after reporting the issue to them. [ /UPDATE ]

Regards
Pedro.
Last edited by PedroR on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Grumpybeard » Fri May 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Post by Grumpybeard
Fri May 17, 2013 4:07 pm

My USB has just gone and broke off the wild thumper controller board, gutted.

Think quality control was vacant when they built this board.
My USB has just gone and broke off the wild thumper controller board, gutted.

Think quality control was vacant when they built this board.
Grumpybeard offline

10 postsPage 1 of 1
10 postsPage 1 of 1